Unvisited Map Marker of Whiterun

Leonardo

I'm using the latest Skyrim 1.6 patch with the latest SKSE and BOSS, but I haven't install Wrye Bash 296 just yet and now I don't have the map marker for Whiterun marked as visited (filled out) yet.

Wrye Bash is also updated to WBSA 296, so I'll start a new game and check if this unvisited map marker of Whiterun is still unvisited or not. I'll post my report later.

Someone else have a similar map marker issue with Riften while others is reporting issues about bandits near Whiterun.

Unfortunately I don't, no. FWIW though I have the same problem with Riften...though in that case, I think it's because my first visit to the city, I had to get myself arrested outside the gates to get inside without all the city guard going hostile and trying to kill me. (Don't ask. I still don't know. It was bonkers.) Because I didn't enter the city by the main gates, I didn't get the whole "Riften discovered" thing.

Maybe something similar happened to you with Whiterun?

Edited by Leonardo

Update!

I've started a new game and have almost everything updated mods, tools, patches etc and I did get the map marker of Whiterun discovered in-game, but it still marked as unvisited and to me it seems some sort of a bug gods knows what.

Tracker -- make sure you do a search before reporting something as a new bug.

Thanks for the link Ysne58. :)

TBH I still don't know if this is a bug or not since I haven't got a confirmation of anyone else except from Tyraa Rane, which wasn't exactly a confirmation but it was the closest so far. So that's why I didn't use the bug tracker before.

I haven't heard of this happening. It could either be a very rare bug, or a mod interaction.

Probably an interaction. Perhaps with Open Cities Skyrim. Manipulating map markers is difficult business and it doesn't always work out.

Probably an interaction. Perhaps with Open Cities Skyrim. Manipulating map markers is difficult business and it doesn't always work out.

I think you're right Arthmoor and there is one more thing that I need to checkout first before I can present a conclusion of what the cause was between a unvisited vs a visited map marker in your HUD and on the general game map.

Yes. You're right in your assumption about Open Cities Skyrim and the only thing I did was to uninstall Open Cities Skyrim.

It was a minor conflict with Open Cities Skyrim and the map marker is now back, but the Skyforge map marker (the middle one) was also hidden by the Open Cities Skyrim mod and now it's back too.

I even tried to move the Skyforge map marker mod after Open Cities Skyrim, but it didn't helped to bring back the Skyforge map marker.

I don't know what Bethesda did with the Update.esm, but it's obvious that they did because something was changed (added/moved/removed) around Whiterun city gates that's for sure.

The way I see it to fix this is to add a new map marker to Whiterun City Gates or perhaps move the vanilla fast travel marker a little which includes the coc command, fast travel for both Riften and Whiterun.

I did add a new map marker. That's why you discovered one but couldn't travel to it. The vanilla one is sitting on the same coordinates and is overshadowing it. There's not a hell of a lot I can do about it without permanently breaking the vanilla marker. I'll have to see if Papyrus has a way to force discovery of a map marker and make it travel ready, but I have no idea if that's even going to work since it may not appreciate that I've relinked it to the OCS version.

Your skyforge marker came from another mod for Whiterun, so of course that's not going to work with OCS and there's nothing I can do about that.

When I looked in the previous OCS version I notice that the 0.34 version had a fix to prevent a map marker to become completely permanent visible.

Open Cities Skyrim v0.34

------------------------

Reversed the alterations to the vanilla city map marker data due to the fact that an engine bug causes the change to become permanent. UGH.

Riften: Removed some previously unnoticed duplicate walls and buildings. Should help with performance now that those are gone.

Perhaps there were a correction for the engine bug in the 1.6 patch that we don't know about a least I'm not aware of it. Anyway too bad about the Sky Forge map marker though, but if it's feasible to move the OCS map marker a little closer to the draw bridge and who knows it could be enough distance to show up properly.

You'd end up with two Whiterun map markers though, and the associated host of posts in confusion about that.

Nothing has changed about the map marker situation either. I suppose I can check it in the beta, but I'd not count on that being stealth fixed.

Actually I've some good news for a change, because I just tested another possibility and that turned out quite well. What I did was that I move both the sky forge mods after OCS then I type in the tmm 0,1,1 in the console and it worked for OCS but unfortunate not for the sky forge map marker mod though so I've a beta solution for this map marker mod issue.

Scratch that... It turns out that I was wrong in my conclusion. :blush: I tested my idea with an older gamesave and it didn't worked, so the map marker issue is still unsolved and without a patch it wouldn't be fixed. :(

Edited by Leonardo

• 4 months later...

You'd end up with two Whiterun map markers though, and the associated host of posts in confusion about that.

Nothing has changed about the map marker situation either. I suppose I can check it in the beta, but I'd not count on that being stealth fixed.

Any news about the map marker issue I got earlier this year?

Nope. Nothing. That change is baked into the save and can't be undone. No attempt to revive the ones that went missing has ever worked.

Thanks for your help Arthmoor. :)

Perhaps there will be a patch or something that can correct it.