Support for localized Skyrim versions

Hi,

first of all: Thanks for the enormous amount of work that you guys put into this! I'd really like to use your patch, but first I'd like to ask something:

Is it meant to be run on a localized Skyrim version (German in my case)?

I assume all of those text fixes completely replace the old text, therefore it would then be an English text even in localized versions, right?

I've also tried some other quest fixing mods before and they changed the quest log entries of the fixed quest to English, even if it was just a gameplay fix and not a text fix. Is this the same in the unofficial patch?

I have no problem with reading English text, but if half of the game is English and the other half is German the atmosphere would suffer a lot :(

So, if the unofficial patch also changes things to english, would it be possible to either release localized versions (of course without the text fixes) or a language neutral version (without all fixes that would change some language specific text)?

Yeah, could be, but as far as I know the original authors don't plan to release localized versions (at least that's how I interpret the post in the Bethesda forums). Such translations done by other people will most likely be released by far later and less requent than the original version.

So to be more specific with my question:

Will there be a language neutral version done by the same authors?

No, we'd have to rely on other people doing the translations for us. We don't know other languages well enough to offer any other versions.

I think cremor's issue is that by patching text in the English Language version it breaks all localized versions.

If it were possible to release a version of the patch that made all non-language dependant changes, with the English language changes as an optional unit then it would neither fix nor break his version - ie be language neutral.

Of course language-dependency may be so heavily embedded that this is not feasable but I'd sort of be surprised given that Bethsoft had to deal with the same issue.

Edited by morcroft

There's too much that would require separation for that to even work. Practically every edit to the game makes a change to records that contain some kind of text. There's supposed to be a way to generate language localized string files but I've heard it doesn't work for mods, a lot like a bunch of other stuff like the grey-face NPCs.

Yes, I think the previous patches for Oblivion were only good for the English language version of the game. If you played the non-English version, then you needed to wait for someone to translate the UOP. It's the same this time for Skyrim. Unfortunately the strings used in quest dialogue are not stored in separate files, they are embedded right in the Skyrim master plugin, which is what we're patching.

Some of the strings are in a separate file. In Oblivion, this was the strings.xml file. It's different for Skyrim, but once again there are separate strings files. Unfortunately they aren't plain text this time. Anyway I don't know how the dialogue for non-English versions of Skyrim is handled, but I suspect they have a different Skyrim master plugin.

I don't think it's feasible to separate the non-language dependent changes. They are tightly woven into most of the fixes. In the past, others took the patch once it was released and translated it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I have been using your patch for a while now and one thing is bothering me.

I'm using localized version of Skyrim. Because most of mods use english as default language I try to localize each one of them by myselft using Skyrim Strings Localizer avaliable here > http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=2889 - of curse I cut corners and use "almost" localized version. If something is hudge (like weapons and armore fixes mod) I create mixed file (localized + english).

I tried to do same with your patch - many things seems to work but there is one thing that I can't do anything about. These are books. I don't know why but some books when you look at them have proper localized names - but when you open them - language for reading is English.

Example of non localized book is in house avaliable in Whiterun (Breezehome) on 1st floor book name : Beggar Prince.

What is more missleading. I think that in other places after I open same book it's in my localized language. I can't verify it yet but as soon I find an example I could post it here.

I know that you don't have plans for localizing this patch but... maybe you should think about how you could make it simpler for people that would like to do it.

@domik

Many thanks for the link to that localizer program! Didn't know that something like this exists.

The book "Beggar Prince" isn't translated by this program because the Unofficial Skyrim Patch fixed some text in this book (as you can read in one of the spoiler tags in the post with the full changelog in the official forums) and because of that the localizer can't find this text in the original string files. And if it can't find the text in the original string files, it won't know which string ID it should use to get the translated string - at least not when the mod is initially opened. The solution is easy: Just use the "Get IDs from Skyrim.esm" function. That seems to fill most of the still unknown string IDs. After that the usual procedure (Create IDs, Write esp + Strings, loading localized string file, Write Strings) can be applied and the book will be translated (I just tested it ingame, it works).

@USKP-creators

Isn't it possible to create such "localized mods" (with external string files) with the Creation Kit? Seems like this localizer program works great, so I would be surprised if this isn't supported "officially".

Edited by cremor

cremor thanks! I didn't even thought about this option while doing translations. Most probably this method could also fix some of other mods that I'm using that are not localized properly. I also think that doing translations to this unofficial patch using program above would do the trick. The only thing that would need to be included in patch are proper string files. Seems that right now there are only 7 new strings used in patch so I can offer a translation to polish if any one would like to use it.

@USKP-creators

Isn't it possible to create such "localized mods" (with external string files) with the Creation Kit? Seems like this localizer program works great, so I would be surprised if this isn't supported "officially".

Doesn't look like it, no. I can't find anything in the CK menus that looks like it could be used to handle string localization.

@USKP-creators

Doesn't look like it, no. I can't find anything in the CK menus that looks like it could be used to handle string localization.

There's actually an undocumented command line switch that apparently does the job for you. It's however limited to master files, if I recall correctly.

Hi folks, I registred myself in this forum because first of all I want to thank the autors for this great project und I also really need a german version of this .

So I really hope we'll find a way to translate this patch properly :)

Edit: I actually found a german mod project called Director's Cut which uses this USKP and has it translanted. I will look into it.

Here is the link: http://forum.schares...s-Cut-%28SDC%29

It looks very polished, I think this will please me. And the new 1.01 version which uses USKP 1.03 has been released one hour ago, it could not worked out better :D

Edited by SIrKasimir

Wow, many thanks for this great tip SIrKasimir! I'll try it immediately.

@devs

Could you please link this mod in your official mod thread like you did with the russian translation so that other german users can find it?

Edited by cremor