Patch vs Mods

Just curious if there is a list of mods that are no longer necessary with the patch. I'm aware of the topic here; are all the mods listed covered by the patch? Are there other mods that are covered, or mods listed that are not yet covered?

Actually that's not a list of mods that are no longer necessary, rather it's a list from a member who wants us to incorporate his "fixes". We don't agree that all of his changes are fixes, so not all of them will be incorporated. Some of them have been. I suggest reading through the release thread on Bethesda. Kivan has mentioned a few of the mods that are no longer needed. It's hard to keep track of them all because so many people released their own fixes.

Dang. That means I have to go line by line through the absolutely massive change log and compare every line to the mods I have. If Kivan has only mentioned a few mods in that thread, then the change log is the only way I can install the patch and remove all the mods that may conflict.

So its a bad thing born of a good thing- there are so many fixes its an arduous task just to read them all.

Additionally, that link I posted has several comments from other users posting mod fixes. Any idea if those were incorporated?

Edited by Xan

Well, to be fair, neither Kivan nor myself have kept track of the mountain of fix mods the impatient churned out :P

None of them were incorporated per se, but if their fixes were actual fixes and not interpretations of someone's opinion on how the game should work then they would have been included.

I'm compiling a list. Any help is appreciated. And what does USKP stand for (specifically, the k)?

:lol: It's just Unofficial Skyrim Patch. I don't know why Kivan added the "k".

I would just recommend that you assume the USKP fixes all bugs and get rid of all the other fix mods you're running. By the time it is finished, it will. That has been the norm since Baldur's Gate. :D The other fix mods will eventually fall into disuse.

Btw, Kivan, have you heard the news? Baldur's Gate is being re-released as an enhanced edition for modern hardware. You'll have to update your patch. :rofl:

I'd rather have an official patch to fix stuff, more than mods. they eat up loadspace and always feel like an "addition", rather than something official. and when making mods I always forget to enable them.

Unfortunately that won't happen. Bethesda will fix some of the bugs, but it doesn't make financial sense for them to fix them all. The unofficial patches have been a staple in several games, from different vendors, since Baldur's Gate in 1998. ;)

Well, you have to keep in mind that they can only find so many bugs before release. After all, they've probably only got a couple dozen testers, and once they release they've got thousands and thousands of players finding brand-new bugs.

...that doesn't excuse the bugs they refuse to fix, but it explains a little.

I see it as a balance. Bethesda has been primarily fixing things only they can fix, and the USKP is going to fix whatever they don't. We as modders have the luxury of not needing several weeks of QA for simple fixes. They don't. Even the simplest of simple things still has a formal verification process it has to go through.

yes but releasing a game knowing there is a game-breaking bug...

They probably didn't know. And if they did, they still had stakeholding executives breathing down their necks to meet the 11.11.11 release.

Valve would delay the game, of course ;)

Should be thanking Valve and Joel Burgess about now because if it hadn't been for the Steam Workshop, things like the navmesh bug wouldn't even be getting attention and we'd all be having to suffer with using shitty hacks to fix this stuff ourselves.

Here's a tracker entry on mods made unnecessary by USKP so far: https://unofficialskyrimpatch.16bugs.com/projects/7078/bugs/214876

Items in italics are recreated or incorporated, all or in part. Most I fixed before even knowing about them.

Joel's been the biggest driver of community involvement and most communicative Bethesda developer by far. Very happy to have him around.

• 2 months later...

I don't know if you guys got a report similar to what I can report. This is what happen... I started a new game a few days ago just before the 1.6 patch was out and I had Arthmoor's Alternative Start - Live Another Life mod installed, so I wanted to play an Orc with a random start position and I ended up as a Stormcloak soldier. I went to the barrow for the Jagged Crown and handed it over to Ulfric upon he send to the Jarl of Whiterun just to deliver a message which was Ulfric's axe, but there wasn't a dialog topic that allow me to hand over the axe and finish the quest. Instead there were topics that force me to actual lie and gods know what the end of this will be. I started the quest when I still was running the 1.5 patch and this happen after I downloaded the 1.6 patch, because right now I need to follow the jarl to his castle wizard Farengar I think his name was so checked if the axe was still in my inventory there and it was.

My conclusion of this is that you must restart a new game or you need to restart all active quests if you have started a new quest with the 1.5 patch if you want to continue to play the game with the 1.6 patch.

I hope this will make sense to you guys, because I'm a little tired right now. :coffee:

I was to tired when I posted my so called report because later I could finish the quest and hand over Ulfric's axe to the Jarl of Whiterun, but that was after I got instructions from Farengar in Dragonreach.

Edited by Leonardo

• 1 month later...

Moved Leo's post to a new topic. This thread is for asking which other patch mods can be removed now that the USKP has been released.

I'm pretty sure Kivan has already included everything he considers an actual fix for an issue and not someone's discretionary changes to the system.