Sign in to follow this  
alt3rn1ty

SSD Optimisation

Hi all, I recently tried out something

I was reading an article on SSD Lifespan https://www.compuram.de/blog/en/the-life-span-of-a-ssd-how-long-does-it-last-and-what-can-be-done-to-take-care/

EDIT:

Dont trust SSDFresh, Windows Defender now blocks it, see second post below

Surprisingly it pointed out a few things I didn't know about which made sense

I don't think you need the software to do any of what it does, pretty sure most of these can be set via Windows itself if you do enough digging, but its a lot easier using SSDFresh ..

.. It does have some good tips in explaining what it will do with each button selection, and quite a few of them windows 10 does not adhere to by default :

d2CpqYS.png

VAcyDou.png

WCyuiFg.png

----------------------------------------------

Wear Levelling these days is done automatically I believe

But do SSDs also all carry out Over Provisioning?

And for anyone else reading does anyone have more tips / tools (preferably open source) for the care of SSD longevity?

I don't need to right now but will be looking at upgrading my system drive M.2 NVME to something like a Samsung Pro Evo 1tb for plenty of extra space to help with longevity, which I believe comes with its own decent SSD Management software. My second internal SSD is used for games installations and Documents, plenty of empty space there and it will only ever be mostly read from instead of written to.

Guys dont trust SSDFresh Installer, there is something dodgy about it. I am pretty sure its not malware, windows defender blocks it for giving deceptive messages, so at least it is just unwanted behaviour ..

XoSBXmt.png

.. But then again these things installers can have other payloads, so I may just have been lucky.

Find other ways to change those windows settings shown in the first post, because Abelssoft SSDFresh Installer obviously cant be trusted.

Interesting- wonder what the VirusTotal score would be for it.

Did you perform any optimzations with it? A good program should provide an undo for any such changes.

Virustotal is here https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/4f7eff634a7c2d3c0c80ddc58569ef65df81107ebaa1550fc8dd63e7082bfe32/detection

10 hits, pups.

I know Abelssoft used to be trustworthy, but seems they have had the bean counters in and now push installers with a hidden agenda, probably pushy advertising methods if you dont pay for the full product. They are off my Christmas card list anyway, I was considering donating a few notes if I had not found this.

I did use it, I believe the program itself is ok because all it does is change registry settings for windows features. Its just the installer which comes up as suspect.

I have done a full system scan with Win Defender, plus MRT in admin mode, plus a clean boot scan with Malwarebytes and the system is not showing anything unusual in its behaviour so I am pretty sure I am clean. Might do a Clean windows install just to be sure.

Sucks because I am quite proud of keeping myself and family clean of any kind of adware / malware for about twelve years running now, then fall foul to not doing a few more checks on the file before trying it :facepalm:

Anyway, nothing serious it seems, but you never know with these things, could be a different story for someone else in a different region etc using the same installer, or maybe getting served a different variety of the installer to download.

They dont go for anything blatantly obvious like changing your browsers home page anymore :)

Yeah, they have a bit of "legwork" to get that VT score down, although most of those seem to be of low threat. Lodi is identified by heuristic methods as some kind of menace- to obtain the criteria MS use for such detection would be a thing, too. Majorgeeks host it, and are happy with the general response- notwithstanding some of the user comments in their vid at youtube:

What? Me worry? Heck, as far as this rig is concerned, there's no SSD on board- yet. :P