Skyrim VR patches

DayDreamer

It's been out over a year, which was about how long it took for SKSE64 to be finished. SKSE VR has been out for awhile, and also SkyUI VR.

What do we need to get USVRP/USSEP working?

Creation Kit 2 can be made to work (according to forum posts), but the scripts don't match. Do we have a good direct contact at Bethesda?

The reason that I'm asking is dozens of folks have asked for Touring Carriages VR. So I've recently purchased a Valve Index.

OTOH, Steam Charts says that only hundreds of folks are running VR (280 at this moment), relative to the tens of thousands still running LE (7109) and SE (13788).

Eh, put simply, you'd need a miracle. Bethesda's devs have flat out said mods will not work correctly in Skyrim VR.

Examining the reasons for this should make it obvious as to why. VR was forked from an ancient copy (by today's standards) of SSE well before the Creation Club even existed. The executable therefore is missing numerous things that have been added to the Papyrus engine since then. The master files are known to be incompatible as well since they do not contain the same data found in any of the mainline files for regular PC and console games. Not to mention that VR knows nothing of various things added to the current SSE masters and countless scripts have had new information added that VR knows nothing about.

Those forum posts about the CK supposedly working to make VR mods are leaving out that you'd have to have obtained and kept an ancient version of the SSE CK that completely predates not only the CC, but version 1.5 of SSE in general. VR is based off of the old 1.4 code which is never going to get any of the features of today's mods. And as you point out, it lacks current scripts.

I have been over this stuff with the VR fanatics before. The bottom line is that mods being kept up to date are never going to work on VR. Anything newer than 2 years ago simply isn't considered safe, but of course we all know people will ignore that at the peril of their saves.

USSEP is not going to be ported to VR. Ever. It's explicitly not allowed in the permissions precisely because these people who kept hounding for this wouldn't listen to reason and chose to launch personal attacks on anyone who was telling them the truths they did not want to hear. They've banned hundreds of people from the VR sub on reddit for trying to tell them that it's not feasible to do this. Not to mention the cost outlay for equipment and a version of the VR game before you could even test it properly. For pointing these things out, they have spread an anti-USSEP hate campaign among their memberships claiming I have targeted them specifically because I "hate" VR and run around telling everyone it's a gimmick etc. Hate has nothing to do with it. Practical reality does. It's not feasible to support mods on a platform Bethesda themselves says won't do it properly. We have no way to validate integirty, no money to waste on hardware we'll never use, etc etc. It's never good enough for these people to accept so they resort to piracy and preemptive bans to keep people in the dark.

Suffice it to say, their attitude is the reason the UPP has taken the stance we have against them. They will get no support from us, and we do not authorize the use of our work on an unsupported platform. It's as simple as that.

Yet despite that, a companion project was authorized here: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/16768 - Apparently that wasn't good enough for them though. We're still evil little shits who hate VR users with a passion.

IMO, you're playing with fire doing anything for these people. They will eventually burn you. I'd recommend against trying to offer support for your mod to them. Especially as you've pointed out, the target audience is barely alive anyway. Simple cost benefit analysis here.

Oh well, I wish that I'd known all that before spending $1,000+ on the Valve Index. (Skyrim VR was half price on Steam, so saved a little something there.) Not a Reddit consumer. Nor a PlayStation of any vintage; one of the reasons that I'd initially ignored it as not aware Skyrim was out for PC VR.

Searched for topics here and at Bethesda.net, didn't see any negative details. The VR topics are quite enthusiastic.

Now that I've got the Index, I've also learned that my GTX 1080 isn't powerful enough to handle full graphics, whereas on my 4K OLED it is quite lovely. So Skyrim VR looks like the original before the High Resolution DLC. Even RTX 2080ti supposedly isn't enough. Rather disappointing as yet.

Definitely not worth playing without US*P.