Overload - THE Descent remake

alt3rn1ty

6 Degrees Of Freedom heaven

I am no expert at this type of game, but loved the original Descent. Overload has been created by the original Descent team members, and is I think the definitive remake utilising modern hardware.

Currently I am nearly at the end (far more levels than I was expecting) .. On Trainee (the lowest setting to play through the game), and looking forward to trying it on all five of the increasingly harder settings, and maybe having a bit more success with all the secrets on every level.

In terms of patches, I believe its already at the mature stage, pretty much all bugs have already been squashed.

Overload on GOG https://www.gog.com/game/overload

Overload on Steam https://store.steampowered.com/app/448850/Overload/

Discord https://discord.gg/n8Tu3j

Home site and links to Community forum https://playoverload.com/

Reviews on Steam "Overwhelmingly positive"

• 5 months later...

This game is now complete, no more bug fixing needed.

Revival Productions have disbanded and all have moved on to other companies.

There is a DLC which is a bunch of extra levels, and there may be another one to come (I think some of the team will take time out of new jobs to put it together).

There is also a level editor to create your own.

Revival wished this had done better in sales, very positive response from all reviews, just didn't sell enough to warrant keeping the team together.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/448850/discussions/0/1777136225026584608/

From Mike & Matt
For some time, we've wanted to provide an update on Revival and Overload. Some of us got busy and we kept waiting for the Xbox version to be done (update: it was submitted on Monday for approval), but here's the status.

We founded Revival and built a team to make Overload, not really planning to create a lasting company that would build more games. We wanted to have fun creating a spiritual successor to Descent, and we're very happy with the results.

We would have liked to do more with Overload -- more DLC drops (we will do another community DLC pack), new features, maybe a sequel. Those things look very unlikely now. We're gratified by Overload's strong user reviews and we love the community that has formed around the game. Nonetheless, sales have been disappointing and can't justify much additional work on the project.

We're still spending time on Overload, but most of us have moved on. Roughly half the full-time team members are now working at Volition. (Props to Chelsea and Ed who leveraged their Overload experience into Associate Producer positions!) Luke is back to working full-steam at Radian Games. (Check out Scorcher, coming later this month!) Matt is working on ideas for a new (game-related) project. Mike had planned on loafing for several months and then deciding what to do, but suddenly and unexpectedly found himself rejoining Volition as General Manager.

We are proud of Overload and have many fond memories. The Kickstarter, which was as all-consuming as many had warned, was very satisfying in the end. We both enjoyed being (slightly rusty) programmers for the first time in years, and it meant a lot to be part of such a talented team. We were gratified by the community of both newcomers and Descent fans still committed a game we created over 20 years ago. And it's particularly meaningful to see team members who got a career boost out of their work on Overload.

Maybe we'll do it again in another 20 years.

- Mike & Matt

Revival Productions  [developer] 12 Feb @ 5:12am 

Thanks for posting MasterBlaster.

We're not fully shutting down. We'll certainly continue to receive money from Steam, GoG, Humble, Sony, Microsoft, other. :) This was a great ride and we'd all like to say more at some point. I rank this right up with the most successful games we've shipped in terms of personal satisfaction. I got to be on a team again, first time in almost 20 years. DLC#2 will be happening. Maybe more, who can predict the future. Maxx -- when we do our next Kickstarter in 20 years, maybe we'll auto-pledge for our retiree backers.

We're all moving on to things we care about. I'm very happy about the last 3.5 years.

Allister Brimble was also on the team doing music - I remember him from the Commodore Amiga days doing game music.

Overload is currently on sale on GOG if you ever fancied it but havent had the joy yet.

• 1 month later...

Surprisingly it had an update recently on GOG, no clue what was fixed but it was probably to accomodate a new level dlc.