Glass Armour Steel Plate Gauntlets Gaps Bug

Pokestar

Hello there! Please excuse me for posting my issue like this, but it seems I'm unable to submit it on the bug tracker page. :|

Having designed another character and his appearance on a new save for a little lore-friendly WIP quest mod of mine in an early stage, I geared him up with what I imagined him to use. The end result was a glass armour, steel gaunlets and boots and a sharp elven battleaxe: An Altmer tank. Unfortunately, this combination led to him having gaps of void between his upper and lower arms with the steel plate gaunlets, his knees and calves with steel plate boots are fine, though. I'm playing on PC and got the latest version of USLEEP / USSEP installed, properly reinstalled in order to make sure all its fixes would overwrite everything, too. I also went through the patch's changelog and tried to find the issue listed there, but it wasn't. So I went ahead to report this unaesthetic problem here.

Take a look. Sorry in advance if this bug is indeed fixed already and the issue is on my end. I came here with only the best intentions. :)

20180531183036_1.jpg

20180531182941_1.jpg

It's not a bug, per se. At least not one we're going to fix.

Bethesda made their armor to fit together within itself - each armor outfit. When you start to mix and match there are going to be issues such as gaps that you see, or clipping, etc. There is no possible way we can make all armor fit all other armor. We've gone down that rabbit hole too many times. It's just not feasible.

If this is a combination you want to use on an NPC in your mod, I'm sorry but you'll have to fix it yourself to be a unique set.

Hi @Pokestar! :) That's USSEP- not USLEEP?

Wow, that's annoying though! With the glass gauntlets no gaps? But as per @Hana, it's an understatement at least to say a painstaking exercise to fix for all sets.

I see that fixing occuring issues like these might be an effort, though you've fixed plenty of exactly that sort of issue already. As an example of USLEEP's fixes you've even got multiple images uploaded on its Nexus mod page advertising that with it you're able to wear archmage robes and boots from a different set without having gaps of void between knees and calves. So what's the point of now outright rejecting to fix this issue for other cases ever again when possible ... out of convenience? Start doing that and the unofficial patch leaves the road of consistency as I see it. :peer:

The goal of the Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch (aka USLEEP) is to eventually fix every bug with Skyrim and its 3 DLCs not officially resolved by the developers to the limits of the Creation Kit and community-developed tools, (...).

Furthermore, I'm afraid fixing this for myself using any kind of mesh editor is simply not feasable without anyone helping. Oh well ... :unsure:

If it's just a quick CK or NifSkope thing, would you might telling me how to get it fixed, though?

Well, to start with, you might want to familiarize yourself with Blender 3D. This thread has a great set of links to get going with as well, and @Hana here is an experienced modeller happy to provide friendly advice.

Now to the issue at hand: say for 6 armor types one requires 5 meshes for each pair, the other 5 require 4, the other 4 require 3, the other 4 require 2 and the other 2 require 1. That makes 10 pairs assuming modifications are made to each member of the pair. That's for one limb. But there's 4 limbs, moreover there are not just 6 armor types but more like 30.

There are going to be literally hundreds of extra meshes added- so the byte size increase on the package will be significant, with the end result being a performance impact on the game as well.

I've been thinking. Could the combination be fixed maybe if I created a new piece of Armor in CK utilizing both the glass armour and steel plate gaunlets ArmorAddons, essentially combining the two to one piece? Somehow? :wave:

On 6/1/2018 at 2:43 AM, Pokestar said:

So what's the point of now outright rejecting to fix this issue for other cases ever again when possible

We've been down that road too many times to know what a nightmare it is, and have made the decision as a team to stop trying. One seemingly small fix leads to breaking something else and it's just not worth it.

If you're adamant about using this combination I will take a closer look at the meshes and see if I can fix it for you to use in your mod. Will let you know.

I never meant to come across grim or offensive I should say, I really wondered why not looking into fix it, though. But Imstearn's explaination makes me indeed realize the tremendous consequences, and I see that trying to fix one issue only to have new ones arise from that is probably time and effort wasted. :crazy:

Thank you for the kind offer, I would very much like to take it, since I'd really love to use specifically this equipment for the character! A fix for both male and female would be great. Please send me a PM. :)

Ok, here you go. Only required adjustments to the glass cuirass.

001.thumb.jpg.55c1019acce96af5d1978a3e42a630b5.jpg

Here's the file. Don't forget to recreate them as unique records.

glass.zip

Looking great, though I cannot download it I'm afraid. It's giving me an error that the attachment is not available. :|

Hm, downloads just fine for me. What browser are you using?

It's also possible a recent security update to the forum is having some effect. I'll have admin look into it.

It looks like this for me when I click on the download. :| I've been using Google Chrome, but I checked it doesn't work with Internet Explorer either.

Image.PNG

Just got it. You're awesome, thank you soo much. He himself smiles upon you! :)

I assume making copys of the glass cuirass ArmorAddon and glass Armor record without doing any further tweaks is just fine.

20180605150725_1.jpg

He looks great, and you're quite welcome. :)

Making new armor records is correct, but also don't overwrite the original glass cuirass meshes, make sure they're in a unique folder to go with your mod.

• 4 weeks later...

Great, got that working. Sorry to ask once more about the file, but this based on the USLEEP / USSEP fixed meshes for the glass armour already, not simply vanilla ones, right? Since in the changelog there are multiple edits listed to the meshes for both genders, i.e. Bug #12541 for holes in the male cuirass, and other mesh property flags stuff. It would be cool to have all those fixes "included" in the meshes you provided me with. :)

• Pokestar changed the title to Glass Armour Steel Plate Gauntlets Gaps Bug