Internet Outage

DSoS

Well Sunday morning we had a severe thunderstorm blow through, and brought a nice electrical storm with it. Well the lighting knocked my internet tower relay, the ISP is working on to fix it, however I have a bigger issue.

Every piece of equipment that I have, computer, monitors, the NAS server, everything is on a surge protector... everything but one thing, my 24-port switch. I forgot to plug the switch into the strip after getting everything for the NAS server setup.

The switch is fine, it seems. My NAS server is connected to it which connects to my main router... the on-board Network adapter on my computer, not so much, it no longer connects to anything. I've tried 4 or 5 different cat-5 cables (and checked with a Ethernet cable tester), but still does not connect. 

I am currently connected by using my phone using it's hotspot and I have a really old wireless USB adapter that I had. With this, I am able to reconnect to my NAS server and network. 

So, I have to get a new Network Card. Fun...

So I won't be on as much until 1) the ISP fixes their shit, and 2) I get a new network card.

My phone only has 5gb of bandwidth per month, so I have to be careful.

Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know what was going on.

I guess that I can/could use this internet down time to work on the Brewery, but meh, I'm getting bored of modding again :|

Well that makes two of us with rain related ISP issues :P

Stupid Verizon left something outside exposed for the FiOS connection when they were out here on Wednesday. It rained over the weekend. Shit got wet. It stopped working. Do you have any idea how hard it is to get ahold of an ISP over a weekend? :bat:

Anyway, that's why I wasn't around for most of the weekend. So I got myself hooked on Banished instead.

lol, I initially read it as "Internet Orange". I was all "ok, this should be good" then realized what it actually said :P

Well that makes two of us with rain related ISP issues :P

Stupid Verizon left something outside exposed for the FiOS connection when they were out here on Wednesday. It rained over the weekend. Shit got wet. It stopped working. Do you have any idea how hard it is to get ahold of an ISP over a weekend? :bat:

Anyway, that's why I wasn't around for most of the weekend. So I got myself hooked on Banished instead.

I love Banished! I also suck at it, fools keep starving to death with a warehouse full of food.

Heh, yeah. I had a few starts go south like that right off. Not sure what I did differently on the one I've got running now, but I'm over 1200 people with a food reserve so large it would take eons to deplete it before I've added more production capacity.

Anyway, the Verizon guy said whoever did the re-install last week left the box ajar. Water got in. Water did what water does when it touches live electronics. They had to replace the entire ONT because of one silly mistake. Normally the box being closed properly has a nice tight rubber seal around it. At least we didn't have to pay for that.

I love Banished! I also suck at it, fools keep starving to death with a warehouse full of food.

The market is the key, my friend.  ;)

And yes, Banished is really a great game, I can spend a whole Sunday on it...

@DSoS

Sorry for you !

Yeah Banished is awesome, if you can keep a good stockpile of food. My best was 1000, and then the bastards wouldn't do more than 30-40$ of harvest on farms (over 50 farms, with 6 or 8 people on each), more than enough storage barns to supply the US, Canada, China and India combined :X

So I initially read the title as 'Internet Outrage' and thought "Aww crap what happened now" :P

9sylMQc.jpg

lol, I initially read it as "Internet Orange". I was all "ok, this should be good" then realized what it actually said :P

WScMpjK.jpg

That's quite stupid of the FIOS guy, yeah a good thing they didn't charge you for it.

I'm getting a good chuckle from the various ways people read your thread title and am wondering what that means. I read it as "outage", so I guess I'm pretty dull. :P

DSoS, doesn't your motherboard have two on-board network adapters? My mobos have always had two for several years now. The other question is does your router support gigabit because that's usually the speed of the second adapter.

I had a mobo once that had two ethernet ports. They both died of mysterious causes. The board I have now only has one port and has been trucking along fine for years.

LOL. Good one there Lizard. :troll:

:X

Ah, weather, y u suck? :o

@Modding

Sometimes modding can seem like a chore for but it's definitely worth it in the end. Just do what you can with it.

But I LOVE severe weather! I was, scarily, outside during the lighting show, for a short time, until one struck within 100ft of me. I was in a safe area, so I wouldn't have gotten hit, unless I was HIGHLY unlucky :X

I'm getting a good chuckle from the various ways people read your thread title and am wondering what that means. I read it as "outage", so I guess I'm pretty dull.  :P

DSoS, doesn't your motherboard have two on-board network adapters? My mobos have always had two for several years now. The other question is does your router support gigabit because that's usually the speed of the second adapter.

No mine doesn't. It's an old motherboard from 2008/2009.

Even if the motherboard did supported gigabit, I have hardware that does not support gigabit, the routers and the switch don't support gigabit.

-------------------------------

For an update:

I called my ISP, and they were not able to see my antenna. Their relay tower has been up and running for a day or two now.

They are sending someone out here to fix/replace my leased equipment. However, it won't be until Tuesday the 19th /Slice wrist.

In the meantime, I ordered me a PCI Wired network card with 10/100/1000 connections on it, along with another Lego set (bad DSoS, I know)

I had to order the PCI card since my PCIe slots are being used up by the 2 video cards.

So until I get my normal internet back up, I'll be on for maybe a hour or two, then off for 4 to 5 hours. Trying to save my cellphone data bandwidth. So if I just poof from chat without saying anything, that's probably what happened.

---

Thank you everyone :)