Proposed Armor tweak for Soldier/Guard

tyrel68

http://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/files/file/1001-armor-tweaks-for-guardssoldiers/

Changes
Light Imperial armor set now has the Light Imperial Shielc
Heavy Imperial Armor Set now has Imperial Shield
Light Stormcloak set has Windhelm Guard shield
Heavy stormcloak set has Steel Shield
1 handed Bandits now have hide shield
Bandits now were leveled helmet if they didnt already
Guards now were either standard, leather or scaled helmets(this is actually a tracker since i have arguments in the game for it)

I really feel like the variety would make sense, fix the flow of battles alllowing the enemy to actually block properly and add needed armor to an already easy game for the most part.

A big reason i propose these is that really.......you never see some of these armors or shields....ever aside scripted events

"tweak" describes what this is quite well. Could be nice as a small standalone mod, but i do not see how this is a fix. there is nothing broken ingame imho

Meh kinda what i thought but was curious what people thought

My view is is it may not be broken but its obviously meant to be together but anyway fair point

i'd like to download it and have a look at the before/after in detail, but alas, you uploaded it in the secluded "ifes for USKP" section.

this makes further discussions a bit of a moot point, since, well ingame i see no issues.

the city guard helmts e.g. have become somewhat of an iconic image, with their closed visors. not sure how i would feel should they suddenly start wearing other helmets as well

http://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/files/file/1001-armor-tweaks-for-guardssoldiers/

here ya go ha sorry forgot you cant download it in the files for fixes

Regarding the guard helmets 2 things point towards alternate helmets were intended

1) the helmet for the guards ia a leveled list of 1 item

2) in the scripted event outside the whiterun barracks the guards wear leather and scaled helmets

counterargument: there is a separate list called ArmorStormcloakHelmetsNoFullFace [LVLI:0010FE83] (for stormcloak guards). if they intended the others to be nofullface, they would have done. imho, performance constraints on Consoles during CW events is a likelly reason to block face gen on guards).

also: all bandits, that you added shields to do infact use an outfit with a 20% chance to obtain a shield already. why did you do this?

• Like 2

hmmm really? thought i checked that hmmm thought i figured that out will take it out then

You made some good points. INever considered the face gen aspect

OutfitListGuardWhiterunNoHelmet [LVLI:000E962D] having no shield (you added one) is the only clear bug i see atm, though i'd need to fire up CK to see whether that list is actually used anywhere. (edit: this one is only used by Commander Caius: wears no helmet, no shield and no hair and is proud of it)

for your changes, you left out ArmorImperialStuddedSetNoHelmet [LVLI:000ABF3C] and ArmorImperialStuddedSet [LVLI:0001D24A], though i saw some imperial soldier (templates) having shields equipped to their inventory (i know for certain immersive patrol does it). its a question whether it's the right way to add them to the outfits. IIRC imperial mages equip the regular outfits as well, as do archers. those usually do not come with a shield, but rather spells and daggers or Bow and daggers.

having a shield forced upon them via outfit might be counterproductive, i don't know. mage might equip a shield instead of a second spell for example.

edit: further observations:

CWSiegeImperialOutfit and CWSoldierImperialSoldierOutfit bundles imperial heavy shield with imperial heavy armor (second one is changed to light shield by uskp)

light shield gets bundled with officer outfit in one list.

the other light armor bundle is unused, but exists (probably because light armor is most often used by archers and mages anyway).

i'd say the imperial army is fine, and adding shields everywhere will only break things

edit2: looking at the imperialsets you edited: they are only used in other outfits, in these outfits, they are either bundled with a shield already, or they are used for archers and mages. no issues here. i suspect the same for stormcloaks.

so this boild down to:

-gloves and open helmets for guards

wow thank you for that! far more detailed then i could have hoped :D

defintely gave me some food for thought ;)

Will work through your suggestions tommorow(brain not working so good atm)