Pete Hines announces "Elder Scrolls Anthology"

Leonardo

Reposted from BSF

From BethBlog

Exciting news today for Elder Scrolls fans. On September 10th (and September XX in Europe), we’ll be releasing The Elder Scrolls Anthology on PC. This premium box set (shown above) includes all five main games from the series – Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim – as well all the official add-ons and expansions for Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim.
To help you explore the expansive world of Tamriel, the Anthology also features a set of five physical maps detailing the lands of Tamriel, Iliac Bay, Morrowind, Cyrodiil and Skyrim.
In case you haven’t been with us since 1994, here’s a recap of all five titles that will be included in the $79.99 package (€59.99 / £49.99 / $89.99AUD)

Arena – Assume the role of a lone prisoner and travel to Tamriel’s most famous and dangerous sites to collect the shattered Staff of Chaos and save the Empire from the evil Imperial battlemage, Jagar Tharn. The Anthology features the original version of Arena and will launch within a DOS emulator.

Daggerfall – The ancient golem Numidium, a powerful weapon once used to unify Tamriel has once again been unearthed. In the power struggle that follows, the King of Daggerfall is murdered and his vengeful spirit haunts the kingdom. The Emperor Uriel Septim VII sends you on a heroic path to put the king’s spirit to rest and ensure that the golem does not fall into the wrong hands. The Anthology features the original version of Daggerfall and will launch within a DOS emulator.

Morrowind – To fulfill an ancient prophecy, the Emperor sends you, an unknown Imperial courier, to the island of Vvardenfell to rid the land of Morrowind of a dark curse. Through a series of dangerous and magical quests, you are transformed into one of the Empire’s most enduring heroes. Also includes: Tribunal and Bloodmoon add-ons, plus The Elder Scrolls Construction Set.

Oblivion – With the Empire ready to crumble, the gates of Oblivion open and demons march upon the land. In the shadow of evil, a hero will rise from the ashes of a fallen Empire. You must find the true heir of the Septim line and restore him to the Imperial throne, while unraveling the sinister plot that threatens to destroy all of Tamriel. Also includes: Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles expansions.

Skyrim – Dragons, long lost to the passages of the Elder Scrolls, have returned to Tamriel. The future of Skyrim, even the Empire itself, hangs in the balance as they wait for the prophesized Dragonborn to come; a hero born with the power of The Voice, and the only one who can stand amongst the dragons. Also includes: Dawnguard, Hearthfire, and Dragonborn add-ons.

• 1 month later...

After I read this 'Update' about The Elder Scrolls - Anthology on UESP, I'm not so sure I want to buy it anymore.

Update: In a followup update, it was announced that Morrowind and Oblivion would not come with the smaller DLC attached to the titles. While all of the Morrowind add-ons not included in the anthology are available for free, all of the Oblivion add-ons not previously mentioned will not be available with the boxed copy. As a solution to this issue, Steam keys for the Morrowind GOTY edition and the Oblivion Deluxe GOTY edition will be included with the games, with the version of Oblivion provided coming with all of the add-ons. However, the add-ons for Oblivion will not be compatible with the disc version provided in the box; people wanting to play Oblivion with all of the additions will have to launch it through Steam.

Which is why it's a good thing I've already got all that stuff safely tucked away and backed up as well.

The original DLCs on the "Knights of the Nine" original DVD were released as executables that checked registry to find Oblivion install path, and extract the DLCs esps & bsas. If I remember right, they checked integrity on the 'Oblivion.exe' file.

Maybe the Steam version of the game has different or more elaborate registry keys to store the install path, or (of course) a different md5/crc for the main game executable, which makes the DLCs executables void...

Maybe the Steam versions of the DLCs are provided as 'already extracted esps & bsas', but then they would fit for the DVD version of the game by 'copying/pasting' in the data folder, which makes no sense...

The highest shame is for the localized versions : DLCs are provided, but in 'english only', and with the original game in 'english only' !  :peer:

The more I think, and the more I say myself that this edition is worth only for its packaging and the new paper maps.

The original DLCs on the "Knights of the Nine" original DVD were released as executables that checked registry to find Oblivion install path, and extract the DLCs esps & bsas. If I remember right, they checked integrity on the 'Oblivion.exe' file.

Maybe the Steam version of the game has different or more elaborate registry keys to store the install path, or (of course) a different md5/crc for the main game executable, which makes the DLCs executables void...

Maybe the Steam versions of the DLCs are provided as 'already extracted esps & bsas', but then they would fit for the DVD version of the game by 'copying/pasting' in the data folder, which makes no sense...

The highest shame is for the localized versions : DLCs are provided, but in 'english only', and with the original game in 'english only' !  :peer:

The more I think, and the more I say myself that this edition is worth only for its packaging and the new paper maps.

Those Execs should still work with a boxed copy of Oblivion, though, because they haven't updated the game other than to attach it to Steam.

So - really - the point of this anthology is to get another copy of Morrowind, because the rest of it is pointless.