I can't start the Dark Brotherhood quest

Velinestra

The messenger that shows up after collecting the reward from Aventus Aretino isn't showing up. I waited days, doing quests normaly, even fast travelled here and there, and nothing. I gave it a 2nd try from a previous save and the same happened.

This is my first playthrough with the Patch, and  I've never had this problem before, so I assume it's related.

Edited by Varys

It could be but there is other things that can be related too and not with USKP.  Dirty mods, corrupt/dirty saves and mods being edit by TESVsnip etc.

The courier can also be somewhat flaky to begin with, and has at least one known stretch where he'll stop functioning entirely. You wouldn't happen to have done the first part of the White Phial quest?

I always retrieve the white phial before touching Grelod. I'm currently gathering the ingredients to repair it. Why, is it the same messenger?

It's the same messenger for all courier based quests, and the White Phial retrieval does something weird we haven't figured out where the courier stops functioning until you have access to all of the components to do the repair quest for it. Which means he won't show up for anything else he's designated for either.

I also had a funny scene where after delivering a message to me at Lakeview Manor (Hearthfires DLC), he then proceeded to use my tanning rack! So evidently he stops to do some smithing too. I was going to post a picture of it in our funny thread.

Heh, yeah. Once he delivers he goes into a sandbox package until you leave and he loads out. A bit creepy if he invades your home to do that :P

God that awful! I'll have to go way back in my saves to avoid the white phial thing. Thanks for the replies, at least I know not to keep playing as it is.

Completing the quest requires completing a substantial portion of the MQ since one of the components needed is on the mountain with Paarthurnax.

Honestly, I don't know why that should matter since the courier is supposed to get used for lots of other things too. It basically means no more messages about dead NPCs giving you inheritances, no more messages about shouting in towns, no more notes from people who want you to beat someone up for them, etc.

I think if we can figure out what's blocking this up it would qualify as a bug because this can't have been intentional.

would a possible workaround solution be to generate a messenger copy and let that guy do the white phial quest (possible changing the references in all white phial quests), while the "main" messenger is then still able to do his regular work?

Edited by Gruftlord

I think it's probably easier and less likely to break something if the block is simply removed. However that even works. So what if you get the second part of the Phial quest before you can access everything. I'd rather have one quest hanging around the journal for ages than have the entire courier system on hiatus and not working properly, potentially screwing up a whole lot of quests. Especially if modders are relying on the same system to work for their stuff.

I think if we can figure out what's blocking this up it would qualify as a bug because this can't have been intentional.

This is a long shot and probably not working, but could it be a flag, AI package, incomplete SEQ file that´s preventing certain things to be completed.

I agree for having an active quest in your journal throughout the entirely game and is less annoying imo.

Edited by Leonardo

Finishing the white phial quest didn't work for me. I tried doing the Grelod thing from a save that preceded visiting the throat of the world(which triggers the courier), and it worked. But then I tried teleporting that specific courier to my current save, and his ID wasn't recognised :( .

Is there any way I can force the courier to show up?

Have you ever search on UESP for information especially now?

If you haven´t then here is some interesting links you may want to take closer look at perhaps there can you find an answer why the messenger is messed up.

• 3 weeks later...

No, it was the one outside. I have been waiting for someone to come bursting in though.

I was standing in the Jarl's place in Winterhold and a messenger showed up. They noted the Imperial armor and killed him.

I have the same problem as the author but:

I haven't started the white phial quest.

Couriers seems to work with no problem: I've received three messages from Ralis (dragonborn dlc) and another "Letter from a friend" (to discover a word of power).

I don't know for sure where the problem is located but it seems that it's not tied to couriers.