Should i downgrade?

Imposed

I have Skyrim Special Edition version 1.6.640.0 downloaded on Steam. Is this version considered AE or SE? And should i downgrade my Skyrim with the patcher to 1.5.97.0?

The current version is 1.6.640..0.  You should always play the most recent version of the game.  

Just as a side note, on GoG the game version is 1.6.659. That's functionally identical to the Steam version but will require SKSE based dlls to be aware of this in order to work right.

18 hours ago, Imposed said:

I have Skyrim Special Edition version 1.6.640.0 downloaded on Steam. Is this version considered AE or SE? And should i downgrade my Skyrim with the patcher to 1.5.97.0?

That is SSE - AE is just the DLC that can be optionally purchased - there is no version of the game known as AE, despite what some people (looking at you SKSE team) may post.

But, if in doubt, check the version number (as posted above - the current game version is 1.6.640, and on GOG, 1.6.659)

And as Pseron stated, you should always play the most current version of the game.  Good luck and enjoy!

Edited by smr1957

I will echo the statements of others and tell you to play only the current version of the game, regardless of platform. 

If you are unsure which version of the game you are playing, start the game, open the Menu (Esc) and select the SYSTEM tab.  On the lower left of the display is the version number.

image.thumb.png.a1f445b9d8d8ca8e98e918418d6ba233.png

Hi. Based on your mods setup. Go and check them. For example, if you are using some .NET Script Framework based mods they are not going to work on 1.6+ because .net script framework (don't missread SCRIPT in its name, its a mod from nexusmods) authors are not going to update it to 1.6+ and you will need to search for an alternative mod (if it exists).

On 5/11/2023 at 5:56 PM, smr1957 said:

That is SSE - AE is just the DLC that can be optionally purchased - there is no version of the game known as AE, despite what some people (looking at you SKSE team) may post.

But, if in doubt, check the version number (as posted above - the current game version is 1.6.640, and on GOG, 1.6.659)

And as Pseron stated, you should always play the most current version of the game.  Good luck and enjoy!

Well - TECHNICALLY you have the "Anniversary Edition" and then the "Anniversary Upgrade".

Honestly, at this point you should stay on the most recent version. Downgrading is just inviting a mess - better to just drop mods that aren't updated.

On 5/12/2023 at 2:46 AM, Gh0sTG0 said:

.NET Script Framework based mods

All the active authors migrated years ago, many even before 1.6. The posts tab consists of years of crash logs.

Meh321 had made a lot of contributions to the Skyrim ecosystem, and still seems to be active, but changed over to Address Library for SKSE Plugins.

KernelsEgg has remade some of them. It's a bit confusing, because there seems to be a recent author name change to Magicockerel instead of meh321+KernelsEgg.

• Hana locked this topic