ChatGPT

lmstearn

Looking at this, one would imagine ChatGPT offering an API tailored for game studios - a choice no doubt depending on the style and theme of the game. For dynamic generation, it ultimately ends up as a choice between:

• An external process recording and interpreting idle conversations in real time in a tree, saving each idle conversation for NPC/faction/quest, and tossing it into to a ChatGPT receptacle to generate a new conversation dialogue for the next time a related NPC/faction/quest event occurs ( for {1 ... O} idles that have occurred of idles {1 ... I} for NPC N in faction F participant to Quest Q stage S). Thus, the further in the game you go, the more ChatGPT riffs on itself, yet (hopefully) stays on topic. A bit awkward in practice for ES games, as an active esp can only be modified when the game isn't running.
  • Creating a enormous ChatGPT tree mod at the start of the game that mixes up all NPC/faction/quest dialogue interactions that are possible from the outset (For each idle {1 ... I} for NPC N in faction F participant to Quest Q stage S).

Edited by lmstearn

Unless companies don't worry about enforceable copyright, I don't think American game companies will use ChatGPT or any AI software in the making of their games.  According to the US Copyright office, companies cannot copyright the content generated by AI.  https://www.copyright.gov/ai/

There may be some value in training an AI to write your code for your proprietary game engine. You can copyright the engine, but not the code, so that's not an issue.

Honestly, though, AI may be illegal in a decade.

There's a lot of grey areas forming as this all evolves, especially in machine learning. As we all know, the "Intelligence" in AI is not the same as intelligence found in a dictionary, and AI programs are just programs after all.

The catalyst to making games fun to play is how well the language of the game is interpreted. It's sure to be a thing in future games where you can acquire an AI companion or advisor and use a slider to determine its AI depth at some yet to be determined cost. For that, programs like ChatGPT which have the facility to scrape (meta)data from a previously played game, might have a purpose. ChatGPT itself has been described as an ally not an adversary, but also a stochastic parrot, and for gaming at least, could be turned into a fun thing. 

Spoiler

Polly wanna crack this game wide open!

ChatGPT is smart, too, it can play tic tac toe, and a dab hand at games like chess as well, it may well be capable of automating basic programming tasks, whereas forming up game engines and even operating systems is still a fair way off.

Edited by lmstearn

Here's an example of an AI doing something nuts I just saw:

The tortoise on the left is the programmer, Vedal, the girl in the right is an AI driving a "Vtuber" - they're streaming on twitch. The AI actually seems to make an intuitive leap.

It's nuts.

Good one, Sigurð!

The whole AI thing puts me in mind of this famous exchange:

"Open the pod bay doors, HAL."

"I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."

Ironically, I see that the thumbnail has their positions flipped.