I want to get USSEP to work on SSE

Hello_im_Peter

So, i'm guessing you guys get this a lot but honestly I've been looking long and hard but it's so difficult to find information on getting USSEP to work for the SSE version of skyrim.

I fully understand that the last few builds are for Anniversary but I have multiple mods that require USSEP however there is no good way to get it to work(to my knowledge).
I'd appreciate a bit of help, thanks

- Peter

Looks like i've found my answer. The USSEP team seems to be very against downgrading, saying it's like malware, and calling people who use it fools. I guess i'm a fool then, I'm pretty unaware as to who I should trust with this information but I assume that you guys know more about modding skyrim than your average youtuber. Looks like im going to have to reinstall skyrim and everything all over again. It's weird because to my knowledge a lot of mods only work on SSE, NOT AE. Which is kind of upsetting since there are a few of them that I wanted to use with my AE ver. of skyrim. 

sorry to bother,

- Peter

Edited by Hello_im_Peter

weeeeeelllll . . . . many mods will work with SSE even if they're designed for AE.  You can even use many that are for LE. First thing to do, is try them. With Mod Organizer or Vortex, you can test mods by checking a box and remove them by unchecking it.

Another way to do this, if you prefer not to use a mod manager is to zip your skyrim installation before putting any mods in. That way, if you bork it, you can delete and reinstall clean.

Once you are ready to test the mods, the worst you can do is get a crash.

5 hours ago, Hello_im_Peter said:

Looks like i've found my answer. The USSEP team seems to be very against downgrading, saying it's like malware, and calling people who use it fools. I guess i'm a fool then, I'm pretty unaware as to who I should trust with this information but I assume that you guys know more about modding skyrim than your average youtuber. Looks like im going to have to reinstall skyrim and everything all over again. It's weird because to my knowledge a lot of mods only work on SSE, NOT AE. Which is kind of upsetting since there are a few of them that I wanted to use with my AE ver. of skyrim. 

sorry to bother,

- Peter

Almost everything in this paragraph is untrue. We, the USSEP team, have a specific mandate - to fix bugs in the vanilla game. The vanilla game is currently v1.6.640, or as most people like to call it "AE". Therefore, that is what we support. We do not go around calling people fools. Come on.

Most other mods are also upgraded to work with v1.6.640 of the game (yes, with very few minor exceptions). There's no reason not to have your game version up to date.

First thing, you probably want to read this: https://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/topic/5954-skyrim-anniversary-edition-and-you/

Second thing, the only situations where it makes any difference which version of the game you're on is with SKSE dlls. If you don't use any 3rd party SKSE extensions, then you don't need to worry about it and you can update to 1.6.whatever without a problem. Even if you do, pretty much all of them have been updated for 1.6.x already anyway. There are a few exceptions to that, but it's probably best to drop those since they're not likely to ever be updated at this point.

Part of modding includes dealing with official game updates, which is something that pretty much every other modding community handles gracefully.

• Like 2

It is as Hana said.  Unless a person has a pre-existing game that they are currently playing that uses an older game version, there is absolutely no reason not to be on the current game version of SSE - 1.6.640 (and, the game is SSE - there is no version of the game called AE - that refers only to the optional DLC that can be purchased as an add-on to the base game, regardless of the wrong terminology used by some).  Furthermore, as has been seen by numerous posts in the Steam SSE forum, downgrading will lead to issues with the game - up to and including CTDs.

And as for the USSEP team calling people "fools", that has never been the case, even though the Team itself is oft times the victim of being called that.

So, feel very confident in being able to mod the current version of the game - and if, by chance, a mod does not work in the current version, then dump the mod, as per the following:

The Golden Rule of Modding
"No matter how good a mod may look or sound, no matter how much you may really want a mod, if the mod does not work as it should, causes issues in your game, or even seems to have the potential to cause issues, dump the mod. A game that does not work is no game at all."

(from the PINNED TOPIC in Steam's SSE forum, Helpful Links and References, Introduction)

I'm afraid it will always be an endless story. The fact is that it's already hard and time consuming to maintain an 'as clean as possible' working version of USSEP for the latest leggit update (and TBH, this is the least we can do). USSEP has always been designed to work on the latest leggit update since day 1. There has never been any novelty or change of purpose.

So, having to maintain and offer support for outdated versions of USSEP or the game is just humanely impossible for a small team, and that's undoubtfullly the main reason why we don't do it.

But may we repeat again and again that we do not offer support for old stuff, and some people may always stubbornly refuse to understand and will continue to ask anyway... :facepalm:

If it's your choice to use outdated material, then it's your choice to have all the related issues, not our.

I assume this is not what you want to hear, but seriously if any so called 'indispensable must-have mod' doesn't work anymore on the latest game version and is not maintained anymore by anyone, then the wisest decision is probably to just drop it...

• Like 2

OP's question has been answered, no point flogging a dead horse.

Topic closed.

• Sigurð Stormhand locked this topic