Papyrus logging suddenly stopped

JobiWanUK

Hello all

I've used Papyrus logging on and off for years. I've fairly recently started creating mods and I enabled Papyrus logging in late December and it was generating logs just fine. On January 4th it just stopped producing logs to the folder. I've tried lots of things but nothing works, the game is simply not outputting logs. I know how to enable logging and I've had it working then it stopped for no apparent reason.

Things I've tried to fix this;

Checked folder/file permissions are not read only.

Disabled realtime antivirus protection.

Triple checked that all the relevant logging options are enabled in my profile specific ini files in MO2.

Tried disabling/enabling logging.

Checked that no other ini files in other mods are overwriting my skyrim.ini and skyrimcustom.ini.

Searched my PC just in case the logs are going somewhere else other than the my games....etc folder. Also searched for other skyrim.ini and skyrimcustom.ini that might be overwriting mine (there were none).

I've searched online for similar issues but haven't found anything other than what I've already tried.

Tried running the game on a bare-bones profile with nothing loaded except SKSE/SKYUI.

If anyone else has any suggestions I'd be grateful, thanks.

5 hours ago, lmstearn said:

Hi @JobiWanUK and welcome to AFKMods! :)

First just to check the EnableTrace entry is set/unset?

Yes. As I said, everything is set correctly as it should be in skyrim.ini. Logging was working then stopped, so it's not a case that I haven't enabled the basics. And yes it's also enabled in skyrimcustom.ini

ini.jpg

Great, another thing is to check the game version matches the required SKSE version, in case Steam etc performed a "silent" update to it.

And check for other SKSE plugins or remnants thereof floating around in the plugins folder. If MO2 has a clean option for remnants of uninstalled mods, try that.

Another option is to rename the Skyrim folder, and install the game again, along with Unofficial Patches and SKSE/Skyui (no Game/Creation Kit fixes yet) and, if you like, do a diff on all the folders with something like Winmerge to identify any possible cause, alternatively just copy the save game files over and see if it logs as you want it to.

Good luck! :)

I'd try removing the fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS setting from the ini file. That's not something that should be getting changed and has nothing to do with logging.

For reference, these are the only settings I have altered and Papyrus logging works fine:

[Papyrus]
bEnableLogging=1
bEnableTrace=1
bLoadDebugInformation=1

4 hours ago, lmstearn said:

Great, another thing is to check the game version matches the required SKSE version, in case Steam etc performed a "silent" update to it.

And check for other SKSE plugins or remnants thereof floating around in the plugins folder. If MO2 has a clean option for remnants of uninstalled mods, try that.

Another option is to rename the Skyrim folder, and install the game again, along with Unofficial Patches and SKSE/Skyui (no Game/Creation Kit fixes yet) and, if you like, do a diff on all the folders with something like Winmerge to identify any possible cause, alternatively just copy the save game files over and see if it logs as you want it to.

Good luck! :)

SKSE is definitely correct. I've isolated my game folder so Steam can't update it.

The only thing I did on the day they stopped working was copy the SKSE scripts over the vanilla ones for development purposes.

Thanks.

56 minutes ago, Arthmoor said:

I'd try removing the fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS setting from the ini file. That's not something that should be getting changed and has nothing to do with logging.

For reference, these are the only settings I have altered and Papyrus logging works fine:

[Papyrus]
bEnableLogging=1
bEnableTrace=1
bLoadDebugInformation=1

Just tried this, thanks, no effect though.

Have you tried running the game vanilla without using MO2? It's possible you're running into some sort of issue with that.

If the logging still doesn't work with a straight vanilla launch then I'm not sure what else you could try, but if it does work that way and still won't in MO2 you should be able to find someone in the MO2 Discord who can help figure it out.