Getting Semi Random CTDs, no idea why

Dankster

I've spent actual days trying to figure out why my game is crashing and i just can't.  (skyrim special edition).  I look in papyrus every time and see this""Unable to bind script CustomINISettingsControllerScript to Active effect 4 on  (00000014) because their base types do not match"" Always appears before a crash i've googled this every possible way and cant find anything.  the active effect can be any number and usually appears multiple times.  I've used loot, changed load order, everything, nothing works.  If someone has spare time to look at the papyrus, plugins and mods I would be forever grateful because this is beyond my power at this point.

Papyrus.0.log plugins.txt Skyrim.ini loadorder.txt

First, Papyrus logs are really of no help in determining why your game is crashing - they are not crash logs, but, rather, are intended for mod authors to check how their scrips are running.  As to troubleshooting, unless someone can spot the problematic mod, you basically will need to troubleshoot the build yourself.  For that, follow this general outline: Troubleshooting Your Load Order  (from the Steam SSE forum PINNED TOPIC Helpful Links and References, Section 5, General Troubleshooting)

Good luck!

Yea through all my research i kinda found out how papyrus logs offer very little information to crashes, that's just the only way i knew of to see potential errors.  But thanks for the links hopefully I will find a solution.

Your Papyrus log strongly indicates you may have an invalid installation of the game. Several of the missing property lines are for official content and should not be happening. I'd start with revalidating your game content on whichever platform you bought it from, and then avoiding the use of any of the various ill-advised downgrade patchers that are out there. Based on your load order you'd have no reason to downgrade the game content.

Funny thing is so far I've been playing for well over an hour straight with 0 problems at all.  i changed one singular vanilla setting I disabled controller.  And considering I always see this "Unable to bind script CustomINISettingsControllerScript to Active effect".  after a crash I'm guessing that fixed it.  I'm not actually sure if CustomINISettingsControllerScript actually correlates with an actual controller but I've had no issues since.  if issues persist I will try re validating my files.  If I have no further issues.... I cant believe I spent DAYS trying to figure it out when all I had to do was disable controller.

And thank you for the tip

Well, Skyrim can be funny in a strange sort of way, at times!:woot:  And aggravating, too!:wallbash:

Glad you seem to have gotten it fixed, Dankster!  Have fun and enjoy!:banana:

2 minutes ago, Dankster said:

Also when I re-validate my game do I have to uninstall and reinstall all my mods or can i leave them be?

Doing that just affects the Master files; so, no - you do not need to uninstall and reinstall any mods (assuming that you are on the current game version, 1.6.640).

Just now, Dankster said:

Sure enough it was missing 7 files

Well, test it out - hopefully that fixed things (often, just verifying the Masters will).  If it did not, then you will need to troubleshoot the build as per that link I posted.  I'm keeping fingers crossed that verifying the Masters did the trick!:)

Just now, Dankster said:

image.thumb.png.6c419e34072a09c83ad8d02b646fe04c.png     After validating I deployed my mods and ran loot, should I clean these plugins?    They were clean before

Don't worry about any of that.  No one should be cleaning the Masters or any CC content in the game.  Doing so can result in things possibly breaking.  LOOT gets this (as it does many things not related to actually sorting) wrong.

Gotcha, and still crashing specifically in the same spot it did last time, when im crouching and holding an object in the air, come to think of it it's crashed many other times by doing this same thing

5 minutes ago, Dankster said:

Gotcha, and still crashing specifically in the same spot it did last time, when im crouching and holding an object in the air, come to think of it it's crashed many other times by doing this same thing

Test as per that troubleshooting guide - sounds like it is something added by one specific mod;  Also, if testing regarding the plugins does not result in an answer, then check any animation mods you may have.

really don't know what to do at this point, I've tried disabling multiple different mods one at a time and doing the same sequence of things in game each time and it still crashes, removing Sneak Tools mod gets me like 2 min farther, but not matter what i'f im crouching and doing things like jumping around or holding object while crouched it will crash, and to my knowledge I have already removed any animation mods that would be affecting it, at least I think

Does the vanilla game work?  Or do you still have the issue?  If the issue persists, there may be mod files left over that are causing it.  You may just be forced to do a clean reinstall.  See this from that Helpful Links and References topic, Section 5, General Troubleshooting:

Skyrim SE/AE Clean Vanilla Reinstall

Follow that exactly.

Would simply disabling all mods then starting a fresh save be a good way to see if vanilla works?  And if it's the case of a mod that's not installed still causing issues because a script is baked into the save that save is done for huh?

As per that troubleshooting link, that is how it is done.  Start a new game, with all mods disabled (though it is safe to keep Alternate Start and the Unofficial Patch activated, you may want to do it first without them activated).  Test to see if things work - if so, make a save and proceed to the next step - loading mods. Load the mods in the order that they are in your load order, as described (one at a time or just a couple or few at a time). After each successful test, make a manual save and proceed to the next mod or set of mods.

If things do not work on the purely vanilla game, or with just Alternate Start and the Unofficial Patch loaded, then you will likely need to do the Clean reinstall by following that linked guide.

Welp i started a new game with just alternate start and unofficial patch, slowly integrated all the mods i had installed currently and went back to the same exact place and did the same exact things that would cause a crash and it works perfectly fine.  I even installed XP maxim skeleton and FNIS which were previously conflicting with each other but I had later removed.  I can only assume there's a vague mod I don't know about that I had uninstalled and is now baked into my save, because I have all the mods        re enabled now and it won't crash at all.  I'm guessing this means my save is screwed....

and yea now even when i go back to my normal save it's the same issue, didn't even have to do all the crouching stuff for it to crash, was just talking to a dude

8 minutes ago, Dankster said:

Welp i started a new game with just alternate start and unofficial patch, slowly integrated all the mods i had installed currently and went back to the same exact place and did the same exact things that would cause a crash and it works perfectly fine.  I even installed XP maxim skeleton and FNIS which were previously conflicting with each other but I had later removed.  I can only assume there's a vague mod I don't know about that I had uninstalled and is now baked into my save, because I have all the mods        re enabled now and it won't crash at all.  I'm guessing this means my save is screwed....

Yup - as you said, you may have uninstalled a mod - a MAJOR DO NOT DO - at some point, and never rolled back to a save in which it was not installed.  Well, at least it is fixed - even if you do have to start over.  But, look on the bright side - all those things that you wished maybe you had done differently in the game - well now you can!

Anyway, I am glad you got it fixed!  Hope that this one sticks and stays fixed!:beer: