heavy armor skill not increasing

michaelbradley

My Heavy Armor skill is not increasing after reading skill book 'Orsinium and the Orcs' in Rockwallow Mine.

This is my load order:

0  0     Skyrim.esm
  1  1     Update.esm
  2  2     Dawnguard.esm
  3  3     HearthFires.esm
  4  4     Dragonborn.esm
  5  5     ccBGSSSE001-Fish.esm
254 FE   0 ccQDRSSE001-SurvivalMode.esl
254 FE   1 ccBGSSSE037-Curios.esl
  6  6     ccBGSSSE025-AdvDSGS.esm
  7  7     Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp
  8  8     FloraRespawnFix.esp
  9  9     Weapons Armor Clothing & Clutter Fixes.esp
 10  a     Cutting Room Floor.esp
254 FE   2 Qw_WACCF_CRF Patch.esp
 11  b     Run For Your Lives.esp
 12  c     Bring Out Your Dead.esp
Also can anyone tell me why the mod "Bring Out Your Dead" is no longer on the Nexus?

Hi, Michael!

First and foremost, there is the obvious - which sometimes may not be so obvious because it is forgotten or overlooked (and we've all done it and then slapped our foreheads after - LOL!):

Did you read a copy of the book previously?  It is found in 6 locations in Skyrim, so it is possible that you picked it up before.  See: Skyrim:Orsinium and the Orcs - The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages (UESP)   Book Information box on the right.

There is also this mentioned in Skyrim:Skill Books - The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages (UESP)   Bugs Section:
"On rare occasions, reading a skill book will report the skill being leveled, but not actually increase the skill's level. Being close to leveling the skill may increase the likelihood of this happening.
 - Save your game and check the skill's value before reading any books. If it doesn't increase after reading, reload the save and increase the level of the skill before reading the book."

As regards the mod Bring Out Your Dead, due to changes made in the way Nexus handles mods and controls what mod authors can and cannot do regarding removal of mod versions, many authors removed their mods from Nexus in order to retain complete control over their intellectual property - Arthmoor being one of them (he just kept a limited number of mods up on Nexus).  However, I will leave it for Arthmoor to speak for himself, and for him or any of the other administrators/moderators to comment more fully as to the details of the changes made by Nexus that resulted in mod authors removing their work.

By the way, this was much discussed in the community, one such thread being this one here at AFK: