What Skyrim really needs is selectable kill cams

Scythe Bearer

I hate, Hate, HATE the slomo kill cam on ranged weapons.  To others, it is meh, but they find the third person kill cams annoying.  Some really hate the dragon shake-n-toss. 

What would be great is a mod that allows users to selectively enable/disable kill cams to fit their play style.

Now, I would be willing to make it, but such is beyond my current skill set.  So I am asking for someone who knows WTF they are doing to pick this one up and run with it, or give me the guidance I need to get it done. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smr1957 said:

Violens pretty much does that:

Now why didn't that show up in my search results?  I'll give it a look. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nico coiN said:

I disable all killcams with "No Killmoves - No Killcams - No Killbites.esl".

Yeah, I saw that.  It seems to be overkill (unintentional pun), when all I want is to get rid of the ranged attack SLOMO killcam.  I actually like the lopatopoff killcam with sword and board. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, smr1957 said:

Violens pretty much does that:

I did find a solution in the description for this mod.  I simply added the following to Skyrim.ini in C:\Users\username\Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition:

[VATS]

bVATSDisable=1

It appears to be working like a charm. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Scythe Bearer said:

I did find a solution in the description for this mod.  I simply added the following to Skyrim.ini in C:\Users\username\Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition:

[VATS]

bVATSDisable=1

It appears to be working like a charm. 

Excellent!  Violens does a lot of things, but for some, all those extras may not be needed or of interest.  Glad that you were able to achieve the desired result with just an.ini change and that you found it in the mod's description!  Enjoy!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smr1957 said:

Excellent!  Violens does a lot of things, but for some, all those extras may not be needed or of interest.  Glad that you were able to achieve the desired result with just an.ini change and that you found it in the mod's description!  Enjoy!

Apologies for my lack of good manners, as I owe you gratitude.  Thank you for pointing me in the direction I needed to go.  Without your response, I would still be floundering. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Scythe Bearer said:

Apologies for my lack of good manners, as I owe you gratitude.  Thank you for pointing me in the direction I needed to go.  Without your response, I would still be floundering. 

Ah, heck, Scythe, not a problem!  Anytime I am able to help anyone, I would consider it bad manners if I didn't!:) :beer:

• Like 2

I'm in the "dump the derp" camp disabling all kill cams too... well... almost all kill cams...

I use:  Disable Cinematic Kills 

That mod disables all ranged kill cams and all open combat melee kill cams except for two...  The two that this mod leaves intact are the melee dragon kills where you mount the dragon's head and end the wyrm with style and panache with the other, my personal favorite, the assassin's kill cam when sneaking up for a melee assassination kill.  Other than those, kill cams are history in my game.

I had grown sick and tired of all of the glitched angles showing a rock or wall instead of the kill.  But, the worst aspect was WHEN they would trigger.  Without kill cams, I can easily sneak through a dungeon that has 6-8 enemies and snipe them all with my bow before anyone even realizes the first victim is dead!  But, with kill cams enabled, they always seemed to trigger at the wrong time, like after my first kill of what I had hoped would be a run of the room but somehow the kill cam broke my stealth and now I'm half dead or fully dead before the damned animation completes!  So, thanks to Disable Cinematic Kills by Sable17, I don't have these issues anymore.  I'm back to my stealth assassin's full prowess, wiping out entire platoons of enemies before they even know I am there.  Huzzah!!!  Huzzah!!!  Huzzah!!!  :highfive:  

Thanks for all the other suggestions, my friends.:wub:  Adventure ever on, Phat:beer:

PS:  Even Sable17, the author of the kill cam remover I use, recommends VioLens as an alternative to have more choice and flexibility rather than a full disabling of kill cams but I just don't want them in my game...  Peace out, Phat:blink:

• Like 3

As with most things I take a roleplaying approach:  I use them with some characters but not with others.   Brutally violent killcams feel appropriate if I'm playing an Orc barbarian.  But they feel out of place to me when I play pure mages.   With mages, and a few other characters, I use Violens to get rid of them.   Personally I think killcams should have been an optional toggle in the menu.

• Like 3