Please help out the dumbass over here?

Wanderinpilgrim

Hello expert modders. I am not nor do I aspire to be manually modding games. I need everything having to do with modding be done automatically when possible. I'm liking MO2 and I allow it to auto install mods for the only game I'm playing now, which is Fallout 4. By some miracle, I was sucessful in manually installing F4SE into MO2 and I suppose I must have also learned how to manually install LOOT into MO2 bc I just noticed that MO2 will not auto instal LOOT, so apparently I'll have to re-learn how to do it again. 
I see that my version of LOOT is 0.16 and I found there's a newer version 18.5.  
My LOOT 16 is doing it's job but should I go ahead and update it?
Is there maybe a link to a utility that would update LOOT for me? If I have to update it manually, will I need to first uninstall my old version 16 first?
Please help a dumbass out over here.

Thanks!

I am not trying to be sarcastic here, but if you don't have the time or the inclination to learn 7zip, ,NET+6, VORTEX. LOOT. F4SEEdit, bethINI, and all the other things that go with it, you might be better off with F4SE on X Box.

Personally, I suspect that Bethesda Softworks is a front for a government project that makes everyone who uses have to learn all sorts of coding stuff to make it work, when they otherwise couldn't be bothered to do so, using a game as bait. You just have to grind your way through the process by trial and error. No one else can do it for you.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, modding is something that requires time and effort - there is no "quick and easy" to it if one wants to create one's own build.  The only option that you would have, if you want a modded game and do not wish to do it yourself, is to use a collection, but even that requires at least some knowledge - if only to set things up to download and install the collection and the mods required for it.  Aside from that, your only real option is to just play vanilla.  I know it may sound harsh to say that, but I do not mean it to be - it is just the honest truth.  And many people do play vanilla, and there is nothing wrong with that, for the game is still extremely enjoyable.  The only other thing would be if you had a friend who would be willing to set everything up for you.

Good luck whatever you do, Wanderinpilgrim!

• Like 1

I haven't used LOOT in years, but isn't there a way to "update" it from within the app?

If not, just install the updated version you have overtop, no need to uninstall first.

4 hours ago, Hana said:

I haven't used LOOT in years, but isn't there a way to "update" it from within the app?

If not, just install the updated version you have overtop, no need to uninstall first.

Thank you; the way I had to install it into MO2 I think i'll have to do that again and appently it will install over the old version. I'll wait till I start a new playthrough. It would be nice if MO2 had the feature to auto-update loot and f4se
Thanks again for the input!

7 hours ago, smr1957 said:

"The only other thing would be if you had a friend who would be willing to set everything up for you."

Now there's a thought. No gamer friends, but I'll ask my PC repairman if he's a gamer and could do some of this 'high tech' stufff for me! That's never occurred to me. 

Oh and about playing vanilla style - I can't go back to that. No! Please, not that! In fact, I'm so spoiled on Mods that I would will myself to do research and figure it all out if necessary. 

Thank you for the comments and suggestions; i really would be lost without communities like this!

Well, Wanderinpilfrim, if you can get someone - like your PC repairman - to at least get you set up with the basics, that would be ideal.  And perhaps, while they are doing so, maybe they will be able to show you how to go about it as well, especially since it is always easier to have someone actually sitting at the PC with you explaining things, than it is to try to do so over the internet.  Either way, once you have the basics set up, at least you will be able to move forward from there.

As to modding - a lot of people will state how "easy" it is, and how there is nothing really to it.  Well, for some, that is the case, but not for most, at least not for someone starting out.  It does require time, work, and patience, and no one should feel - or be made to feel - inadequate because they are having difficulties with learning it.  So, if you do decide to learn how to mod the game and get all the programs and tools required to do so set up and running, just take your time and don't rush.  Afterall, the whole idea of gaming is to enjoy oneself, and if you are not enjoying it, then why even bother.

Whatever you decide, good luck!  And, if you have any questions, ask first before doing, as it is easier to prevent a problem than it is to fix one - and there are always plenty of people who will be ready and willing to help,

7 hours ago, smr1957 said:

"Whatever you decide, good luck!  And, if you have any questions, ask first before doing, as it is easier to prevent a problem than it is to fix one - and there are always plenty of people who will be ready and willing to help,"

This is some sage advice there my friend - I will indeed try and 'look before i leap'! I very likely may wanna go deeper before my next playthrough and will touch base then. Thanks again for the wise counsel. 

At least you aren't running Linux, my friend. ;) For in Linux you never know if a program is going to run smoothly, you have to manually rename folders (the filesystem is case-sensitive), and so on.

It is a shame, but most big studios think "PC" means "Windows" and all the crud that comes with it.

18 hours ago, tigerseptim said:

At least you aren't running Linux, my friend. ;) For in Linux you never know if a program is going to run smoothly, you have to manually rename folders (the filesystem is case-sensitive), and so on.

It is a shame, but most big studios think "PC" means "Windows" and all the crud that comes with it.

18 hours ago, tigerseptim said:

Linux is just not in my skill set; windows is complicated enough for my lacking brainpower! ;)

• 4 weeks later...