Skyrim on GOG

lmstearn

Wow, I wasn't expected this. It's good that they have the 2 versions. Maybe now diehard SE fans will stop complaining about their games getting borked. Hopefully, Fallout 4 is up next.

The CK requires access to validate your account in Steam, so it's not available with the GoG version.

• Like 2

Back in the days where the CK was only available through the Bethesda Launcher I packed it in a zip archive and kept it safely. I think it was working DRM-free, without any connection to any server. While today it is impossible to upload mods to Bethesda servers through it I think it is still working fine for home modding. If a CK will one day be available on GOG I think it will be a faintly modified version of this one.

• Like 2

The CK only needed to be online to upload your opus to the Creation Club or Steam Workshop, and GOG doesn’t have one of those, as far as I know. But if you already have CK, is there any reason why the rest of it would not work? Especially when mod compatibility with all versions is a requirement.

Just wondering, actually, has anyone here started playing the GOG version with mods yet? Since I love GOG, I actually grabbed the full AE version from there to take advantage of the sale, but I've been (impatiently) holding off installing the game until the community dust has settled, somewhat, since I don't have the technical expertise to deal with major problems. Also, if so, which mod manager are you using? I'm a Wrye Bash fan, and when I searched through their Discord, I noticed they have a hot fix version up to accommodate the new GOG version. However, I'm slightly apprehensive about updating Wrye Bash (I'm on the version just prior to the most recent official one, 309. 1), since I have no idea how that will impact my FO4 and FNV installations. 

I haven't had time yet to start a new game using the GoG version with all of my mods (only just got them all transferred to the new install) but my roommate has been playing on his PC with a couple of mods and it's all working fine. There should be no issue with standard mods given that the game's master files are identical on both releases.

For Wrye Bash, you will need to be using the most recent dev bulid for 311 since none of the current releases on Nexus have GoG support built in yet. I've been able to verify that all of the expected functions work fine with it. You can get those builds from the Wrye Bash Discord in the wip-builds channel.

Awesome, thanks for the reply Arthmoor! Yep, I have seen the WIP version of Wrye Bash in their Discord, my biggest concern is whether updating the program will cause issues with my FNV and FO4 installations, any thoughts? By this point, I'm fairly proficient at installing mods into my games, and I'm even decent at troubleshooting, or, in some cases, juggling around/renaming texture files... However, I tend to be at a loss when it comes to the really technical stuff. I did briefly consider using MO2 to avoid the problem... but that would require learning a whole new manager, which I'm not really up to right now; besides I love Wrye Bash and it has always done me well. 

There's refactoring work going on for FO4, so I guess it's possible it'll make things weird. I haven't checked it. FNV shouldn't be bothered by any of that though.

Hmmm.... It may be best to curb my impatience, and at least wait until I'm done this FO4 run. Honestly, between RL things, Cyberpunk, FO4... and dipping into the old Infinity Engine games... I'm not even playing Skyrim currently. It's just that alluring shiny, new installation smell that's tempting me, and given it's DRM-free, and liberated from Steam... that makes the aroma all the sweeter. :D 

• 2 months later...

Apparently one can update their 1.6.640 SKSE DLLs to GOG by modifying the version info as explained here:

The version fields can also be adjusted in SKSEPluginVersionData, there's a nice writeup on it in pluginAPI.h.

There's also a detailed update at the following Reddit thread:

Has anyone had any success firing up the CK with the GOG version as described in the sticky here

It would have been easier and more accurate for the "These Work" section to basically say "Everything else" since they're listing some things which don't even need SKSE. :P

As far as the CK, since that requires a Steam install you may as well just use it with the Steam version of the game. Bethesda has thus far not said whether or not they're going to release the CK with GoG or EGS versions of the game.

24 minutes ago, DayDreamer said:

What is EGS? Is there yet another version we need to support?

Epic Games Studios has a version of Skyrm. 

On 12/25/2022 at 4:38 PM, Scythe Bearer said:

Epic Games Studios

Apparently I've been so out of touch that I'd no idea Epic Games was doing its own distribution. I've now read its wikipedia page.

Although I'm not (yet) a GOG member, it seemed to me a "Good Thing" to resurrect old games without DRM. I'd made some income in the '90s porting PC to Mac. GOG expanded to *nix (both MacOS and Linux) with their shim. (Under another hat, I'd facilitated some things between Linux and Valve for their shim.) All good.

I don't see what EGS brings to the table. Wikipedia says they are merely distrupting, not profitable, subsidized by their other revenue to take market share away from competitors. An anti-trust kinda thing that might get them in trouble.

Again, is there any difference in our support?