Mods at Softonic

JRICH604

Recently I saw a mod of mine was uploaded to a site named Softonic. Google informed me it was a legit safe site to get software from. When I visited it did not look that way. Entering "skyrim' in their search under games and alot of mods including my own started showing up. You guys know anything about this site and why it is hosting mods? There is a link back to my page and I am being credited so that is something but its descriptive text is so distorted from my original it made be chuckle, like was computer generated to shorten or run through a really bad translation software. Anyways I dont really want it there so I asked for my file to be removed using the report so hopefully it will be but since I saw many other mods I thought id let MA here know so they can check and see if one of there own is being hosted without consent

This site is known for hosting pirated software, including mods, and has been identified as having shared content which has been "altered" from  the original.  If you look, you will see versions of Notepad ++. SKSE, the CK, and even Skyrim on this site.  If your content is on this site, you can ask them to take it down.  If they  do not oblige, your only recourse may be a DCMA or other  legal action.

Softonic's "Softonic Downloader" was described by the company's CEO as having "facilitated bad behaviour amongst third party vendors which ended up harming the user" due to malicious links impersonating as the downloader itself.  In March 2015, Softonic announced it was discontinuing the Downloader as part of a move to "regain the trust of users". - https://novobrief.com/softonic-scott-arpajian-interview/

1 hour ago, Scythe Bearer said:

site is known for hosting pirated software

Well thats not good. I guess im a little surprised that its based in EU as I usually see sites like that from countries outside the west where there is little or no regulation. Hopefully reporting does more then nothing, well see

Softsonic is similar to Fileplanet and other now-defunct hosting sites. Theyt started out in the 90's hosting shareware and demo software but today they're riddled with bad ads and pirated software.

Weird thing is, I went to check the site to see what's up with mods, can't find a single thing relating to Skyrim or any other AAA title using their built-in search. It's all nothing but bad mobile games all over their site.

1 hour ago, Arthmoor said:

Weird thing is, I went to check the site to see what's up with mods, can't find a single thing relating to Skyrim or any other AAA title using their built-in search. It's all nothing but bad mobile games all over their site.

Here,maybe this will help:  https://en.softonic.com/author/arthmoor

Or this:  https://en.softonic.com/author/unofficial-patch-project-team

Well, see, that's the thing. I go to the front page of the site. I type in what I want to look for. I hit enter. The page flashes briefly. I get no result, just the main page reloading again. I suspect they're doing some kind of suspect cookie tracking which I have disabled on all sites by default. I'm not about to unlock that because sites that force cookie tracking just to search are often trying to do a lot more beyond that too.

6 minutes ago, Arthmoor said:

Well, see, that's the thing. I go to the front page of the site. I type in what I want to look for. I hit enter. The page flashes briefly. I get no result, just the main page reloading again. I suspect they're doing some kind of suspect cookie tracking which I have disabled on all sites by default. I'm not about to unlock that because sites that force cookie tracking just to search are often trying to do a lot more beyond that too.

And, unfortunately, there is not much that can be done even if a person spots an illegally uploaded mod.  A site which makes it a practice to allow pirated mods, is not likely to remove a mod just because the author - or someone else - files a complaint (as has been seen on a number of sites that engage in the practice).  All we can do is to be forewarned and practice safe internet surfing whenever and wherever possible.