Skyrim Special Edition Updated to version 1.6.640

smr1957

23 minutes ago, ikonomov said:

Now we just have to wait for most if not all SKSE mods to get updated after 1.6.629.  :popcorn:

Hopefully that will not be too long, but if we need to wait a bit, well that's what cookies and drink are for!  :bigcookie::bigcookie::flagon::clap:

(Though I see you already do have a snack!:) :beer:)

Ah .. I'm confused.  Isn't the current game version 1.6.640?  Why do we care about SKSE on an outdated and unsupported version of the game?

Or, @ikonomov, are you being sarcastic?

And if any in an individual's load order have not been, well, as has been said, time to play one of those other games in your library - the one you've been meaning to get to whenever you had a chance.

Though, in all reality and all joking aside, there really is not that much that really needs updating - there never is aside from the very few main ones.  It's like the fears in the night that keep one awake thinking of the next day, until one drops off to sleep and awakens to find that there was nothing to worry about after all.

2 hours ago, Scythe Bearer said:

Ah .. I'm confused.  Isn't the current game version 1.6.640?  Why do we care about SKSE on an outdated and unsupported version of the game?

Or, @ikonomov, are you being sarcastic?

Ikonomov was referring to the title of the thread, which when this topic was first posted was the updated version - who would have thought that the game would need a second update just 5 days later?  So, what he really meant was whatever the current verion now is - which is 1.6.640.

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/8387813-address-library-for-skse-plugins/?p=114954663

This is what I was referring to.  I'm not knowledgeable enough to understand exactly which SKSE64 mods this will affect, but at this point it seems safe to assume that unless confirmed to be working specifically for 1.6.629+ or updated those mods might have problems.

SKSE DLLs need to be verified to work with 1.6.640 and up, 629 is an aberration as far as they're concerned.

If you have an SKSE dependent mod that does NOT have a dll file, then you don't need to worry about any of this because the basic SKSE package was already updated.

• smr1957 changed the title to Skyrim Special Edition Updated to version 1.6.640

Yep, I should have been more specific by stating that this should only apply to DLL SKSE mods which need to be recompiled.  Lately there has been an explosion of those mods though, so at this point this change actually affects quite a number of mods.

Ugh, for me this means 25 mods (plus the Address Library).  Most of my SKSE mods are either DLL mods or have a DLL mod as a requirement.  :(

The following links may be of use:

SKSE Plugin Status
A list of known plugins for Skyrim Script Extender and the compatible game versions.

The "What's Working, What Isn't" Thread
A WIP listing of mods (not necessarily SKSE mods) that have been updated to work with 1.6.640, and mods still requiring updating in order to work with 1.6.640

And, finally, for the future:

Protect your Game from Updates until you're ready  Pretty much self explanatory.

(And also backup everything Skyrim, since besides the .exe, other Master files and .BSAs may have been changed.)

It should be noted that the above is really only of importance if you have an ongoing game - especially with a significant number of mods that may be affected.  If you do not have a current build or ongoing game, the best policy is to let the game update and create your build around the latest game version (and if you have an older build, redo it) - because that update is now the official version and the one that mods will be designed to work with - either because that are new mods being produced, or because they are older mods that have been updated.

Bottom line is that people should try to always have the current version of the game whenever possible

Yes, that's a good advice that I've followed myself.  Sadly out of those 25 mods that I mentioned only 2 have been updated so far for the new SKSE.  Luckily I decided to restart and create a new character not too long ago, so now I have no problem simply creating a new game.  The issue still remains though that I want to use those mods and currently I can't.  This will take time, probably a few weeks if not months before some of these mods get updated and there's no guarantee that all of the SKSE64 DLL mods that worked just 2 weeks ago will ever get updated.  Hopefully Skyrim's modding community is still strong...

7 hours ago, ikonomov said:

Yes, that's a good advice that I've followed myself.  Sadly out of those 25 mods that I mentioned only 2 have been updated so far for the new SKSE.  Luckily I decided to restart and create a new character not too long ago, so now I have no problem simply creating a new game.  The issue still remains though that I want to use those mods and currently I can't.  This will take time, probably a few weeks if not months before some of these mods get updated and there's no guarantee that all of the SKSE64 DLL mods that worked just 2 weeks ago will ever get updated.  Hopefully Skyrim's modding community is still strong...

I know what you mean mate, I’ve started rebuilding my load order a couple of times recently only to discover that Beth has updated yet a gain and had to restart the whole process again. Annoying but what can you do. I considered going sans SKSE but the sort of mods I want and need to creat the character I want need SKSE, so I’m Screwed until the updates are done.

Since Skyrim's GOG release I think we might have just gotten the proper incentive for mod authors to get most if not all of their mods updated including some that never got updated since last year for AE.  GOG does not force updates the way Steam does, allowing using older versions.  From that perspective it might actually be a good thing that we got the GOG version now rather than say 4 years ago, because it seems more likely that we might have gotten stuck with more old and unmaintained mods.  Hopefully we don't get any more major updates (seems highly unlikely) affecting so many mods, but otherwise Skyrim finally seems to be in a good place.

EDIT: So far 7 out of 25 of my DLL SKSE mods have been updated.

No more UPSATES, Mmmmmm, that's what we thought with the last few updates to Skyrim and although I applaud any bug fixes or things like that anything else that involves updating SKSE again and having to rebuild my mod list yet again is by now getting old. Especially if the new added content is something I probably will never use, so the ability to disable or enable that content as and when I want would be a function, I would welcome but then ar'nt you done now Beth get on with your new games and move on.

4 hours ago, Uncus said:

No more UPSATES [snip]

I'm not so sure about this. All the various new homes content from CC required a previous update (dialogue options like 'Go to Hendraheim'  for spouses and pets, instated in update.esm). And by seeing borderline retro-engineering we can tell for sure that new contents of this kind will come soon:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/new-unprecedented-upcoming-cc-content-mod-for-skyrim-switch-exclusivity.619698/

• 1 month later...

Ignore their mislabeling of things. You want whatever version they have labeled as "Anniversary Edition" even if you don't have the full AE Upgrade DLC package.