Idea for the CC Armor Perks & Keywords Mess

ChocolateNoodle

The new armors & weapons from CC content (Golden, Amber, Daedric Mail, etc.) use new material keywords that are not included in Vanilla perks. Bethesda's solution was to shove invisible perks equivalent to Vanilla armor & smithing perks onto your character via quests or even the items themselves, but since no one uses Vanilla perk trees for those using modded perk trees these effects would be inappropriate. This goes for the free Saints & Seducers addon, which is covered by USSEP, and several of the AE addons covered by USCCCP.

What I think Bethesda should have done is just put these keywords in Update.esm and added them to the Vanilla perks. Perk tree mods could have easily updated with AE and it wouldn't matter who has AE or not.

I wonder if USSEP and UCCCP could implement that same solution and kill the invisible perks (remove effects, make non-playable, clean off the armors), then add the keywords to Vanilla perks. Perk mods could just depend on either or make a patch to easily line everything up.

At the moment, I haven't seen any mods that really fix this except what I'm updating to my own.

This doesn't sound like a bug to me.  This sounds like an intentional decision on the part of the developers.   My opinion is that unoptimized game design is outside the scope of a mod that aims to fix bugs.

I'm also going to have to disagree with the assertion that "no one uses vanilla perk trees."  I know quite a few players who use mods and also use the vanilla perk trees.  Perk overhaul mods may be popular but they are not ubiquitous.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Pseron Wyrd said:

This doesn't sound like a bug to me.  This sounds like an intentional decision on the part of the developers.   My opinion is that unoptimized game design is outside the scope of a mod that aims to fix bugs.

I'm also going to have to disagree with the assertion that "no one uses vanilla perk trees."  I know quite a few players who use mods and also use the vanilla perk trees.  Perk overhaul mods may be popular but they are not ubiquitous.  

Yea not a bug from the vanilla perspective, just an inconvenience to most modders.

I wouldn't even say it's inconvenient to most modders. As Pseron said, there's loads of us who don't use perk overhauls of any sort.

Like Pseron and Arhmoor said.  There may be a fair number of mod users who use perk trees overhauls, but there is an equally fair number of those who don't. From what I can see by helping in the Steam forums, if I had to put a number to it, I would say that at best it is half (if that) of people using mods who use some sort of perk tree overhaul - the rest use the vanilla (even with my extremely heavily modded game, I do not use - and never have used - a perk tree mod).  But, for those who do use perk tree overhauls (or any mods, for that matter) that is and should not be the concern of the game company to accommodate them - it is up to mod users and mod creators to accommodate themselves to the base game.

Yes, but impressions of the community are going to be heavily skewed if you go by what reddit tells you. Just keep in mind they're not the only ones out there, and frankly I'd wager that the majority of us are not using overhauls on the level of Vokrii or Ordinator or any of the number of other things Enai has put out over the years. Nothing wrong with his work, it's just not the staple your sources think it is.

Reddit's an isolated circlejerk that only produces illusions of consensus by exclusionary moderation

I come more from a Nexus and Youtube perspective, even then I see now, yea, it's an iceberg situation where the majority is probably unspoken for in such communities

Yeah, I don't personally pay a lot of attention to Youtube for modding stuff. When I did, it was mostly the same type of people who populate reddit, pushing a lot of the same viewpoints etc. For all I know it might even be all the same people :P

1 hour ago, Arthmoor said:

For all I know it might even be all the same people :P

[insert NPC meme]

As for how I'm addressing the OP problem, I'm just killing the CC perks and adding the closest equivalency of Vanilla keywords. Amber gets Glass, Daedric Mail gets Dragonscale, etc. Maybe not all the visuals will match perfectly but I think it's the best solution.