Blender version

ghastley

What version of blender should I install for TES work these days? For a long time I stuck with 2.49 on my prior machine, as it just worked. On the new box, I’m starting to feel daring, so is blender 3 viable? It looks like there is .nif support available, even if it isn’t “complete” yet. It isn’t clear whether the workflow gets easier, as the old plug-in did not directly support Skyrim, and maybe it does now.

Latest Blender and latest nif plugin should be good to use, however, I don't believe it does SE nifs yet. So you'd need to work in "LE" format and finish your conversion afterward via SSE Nif Optimizer.

Personally I still work in 2.49 (yeah, yeah, I know). The biggest learning curve is going to be finding your way around newest Blender, the node-based texture/materials and exporting.

The Arcane University website founded by the Beyond Skyrim team is a great resource for tutorials around the plugin, such as exporting process.

I actually use 2.49 and 2.9, the latter mostly for texture work, including baking, and also for precision mesh work as more modern versions of Blender can track much more precise vertex locations and display them numerically. Older versions of Blender were less precise.