AFK Mods position on what just transpired over at Nexus Mods Spiderman Pride flags removal Stance

JellyCreeper

I just wonder what the people here think about the situation, and since there is no post I can see about this wanted to provide one and listen to people's general opinion regarding politically influenced banning of mods.

The Nexus Stance

I'm going to just say this on the subject and leave it at that:

Nexus would do well to just ban any politically motivated content of any sort that involves IRL issues. That way there's no room for bias against one group or another, or one country vs another. You just tell them all to go somewhere else with it.

• Like 5

Anything that pushes a particular position, no matter how well intentioned, should not be permitted.  Not necessarily because what it is saying is right or wrong, or even because it may cause controversy, but because it is a slippery slope - where do you draw the line?  What is acceptable to one may be totally unacceptable to another - but once you have allowed one group to post, how do you explain not allowing another to do the same?  If you allow some, then you risk being bias; if you allow all, then you may allow some truly despicable things; but if you allow none, then all are treated equally - the simple criteria should be "Is this related to the actual game or not?"  and not "everyone is free to post anything they like."  And looking through the comments posted on those particular set of mods, just reinforces what I have always thought and said: everyone is entitled to their opinion, but not everyone's opinion is equally valid.

Personally, I play games to escape real life - it's bad enough having it inflict itself upon me in my dreams (maybe nightmares - LOL!), the last place I want it appearing is in a game I am playing.

And now, like Arthmoor (though much longer winded), I will also leave it at that.

All mods should be allowed (as long as they don't ACTUALLY harm someone or show harm (IE backround photos of actual CP). If someone doesn't like it they can pass it by. There's beastiality, child murder, faux child sex mods, slave mods, etc. I don't download them, but if that's someone's thing in a video game, especially a single player game, it's not my problem. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

I'm going to just say this on the subject and leave it at that:

Nexus would do well to just ban any politically motivated content of any sort that involves IRL issues. That way there's no room for bias against one group or another, or one country vs another. You just tell them all to go somewhere else with it.

I believe they already have been doing this because of the surge of political mods sometime in the past, the issue is it looks like a one sided thing at the moment considering they banned this and allow a mod that does the opposite up. I don't even consider either of the mods political personally, it's kind of a reach and it feels like a politically motivated ban. This banning was a biased because they banned this, if they allow both mods up then I'd understand or if they took action against both mods (like they did in the 2020 american elections iirc). Even then the banning of the uploader was strictly political. Don't hate the player, hate the game...

6 hours ago, smr1957 said:

Anything that pushes a particular position, no matter how well intentioned, should not be permitted.  Not necessarily because what it is saying is right or wrong, or even because it may cause controversy, but because it is a slippery slope - where do you draw the line?

I think you just answered yourself. "Where do you draw the line?" - Either ban everything political or don't ban it and allow both sides to do what they want. The moment you allow one side but refuse the other is the moment the slippery slope has been met, which is precisely what happened here. As I responded to Arthmoor, They still allow mods that do the exact opposite of the one they banned up, while this one was deleted.

7 hours ago, smr1957 said:

Personally, I play games to escape real life - it's bad enough having it inflict itself upon me in my dreams (maybe nightmares - LOL!), the last place I want it appearing is in a game I am playing.

This is what I love about modding. You get to pick and choose, add cool new stuff like magic in minecraft, and even remove things from the game that you personally don't like. You don't like spiders? Remove them, or replace them with gag monsters... Same goes for stuff like this. I will have to say this is an L from Nexus. They have the right to, but it's still not quite right.

1 hour ago, JellyCreeper said:

allow a mod that does the opposite up

AFAICT, this is not true. It does not appear in a cursory search. There would be no need in that game.

The reason for banning the user was the sockpuppet, not the anti-LGBTQ mod itself. This is the same policy as wikipedia. Folks can rant all they want in their private space, but violating policy to disrupt the project warrants action.

IMnsHO, the DarkOne post is masterfully written. I don't always agree with him, but this time it seems well reasoned.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, DayDreamer said:

AFAICT, this is not true. It does not appear in a cursory search. There would be no need in that game.

https://www.nexusmods.com/marvelsspidermanremastered/mods/401?tab=description

Claiming someone is saying something not true without being absolutely sure is a bit unproductive for discussion. But I understand it's hard to find.

But yeah I agree that DarkOne was well reasoned, though I disagree with his reasoning. I don't believe he focused on the fact of it being a sockpuppet account has the reason for the ban though, and calling the person a coward was kinda uncalled for.

If I ran a download site I would allow any mod that did not break the laws of my country of residence.  But I support the right of any site owner to take whatever legal positions they wish in regard to their own sites.  

• Like 3

Our position is quite clear in our rules; Topics and/or posts on religion and/or politics are not permitted here.

This includes discussion of political drama on other sites.

• Like 3

• Hana locked this topic