Computer System Manufacturers

deaths_soul

Crap title so feel free to change it to something more appropriate. :P

Anyways...I'm trying to figure out the best outfit to use for assembling a replacement desktop after the last one went belly up a couple of years back after I was trying to clean it. As some of you know, this was the same one that had parts RMA'd multiple times. In doing my research, it seems that the folks who focus on gaming are so overwhelmed right now that QC is a bit shoddy. I've been seeing many complaints lately. I don't necessarily want one from a gaming vendor as I don't really care about the flare (though I'm not opposed to it if they'll suit my needs). The system will mostly be for work (programming), playing games would be secondary. so I mostly care about stability and reliability. Building one myself isn't really an option as that's always been fraught with problems.

Been looking through this list but, as I mentioned, recent reviews on reliability seem to be hit or miss so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by deaths_soul

Hi, yep looking for a halfway decent rig can be stressful. It might be an idea to tell us where you are geoghacly, nothing heavy like an adress, country or county or state would be enough then if anyone spots a good deel local to you they could let you know.

Thanks! Will take a closer look at the folks over at Puget. :)

Sorry, meant to include that I'm in the US so that may help narrow down the list of vendors

I am on my second box from Puget Systems.  They will work with you to build the box of your dreams.  They are a bit more expensive than OTS preassembled boxes, but they're worth it. 

Great, thanks! I'll reach out to them and see what they can do for me :)

AMD's releasing their new CPUs in about a month or so so I may as well wait until then to reach out :)

DS This is a bit late and I think Puget is going to be a good call for your needs, but I just remembered system76 are supposed to be good too, again a bit expensive though.

Great, thanks. Will take a look! I do like openness so that one is intriguing :)

This go around, I may go with *BSD as I kind of want something a bit different.

Still have a while before the new chips are released so that's plenty of time to make a decision on a vendor :)

• 9 months later...

Probably time I provided an update as it's been almost a year. I had reached out to Puget on two separate occasions but never got a response so I had to cross them off the list. After a lot of research, that left Maingear and System76. Both of them were quite responsive but System76 was slightly more responsive and as they focus on *nix support that means I wouldn't get into the occasion where a chip doesn't work properly, such as Broadcom's wireless chips. They didn't have an option for no OS so I'll give popOS a try before I decide on FreeBSD