Textures being distorted with different camera angles

Vakarian89

Welcome everyone!

Sorry if it's not the right subforum for this kind of questions, but... Well, to the point. I'm starting to create my first Oblivion mod (well, my first mod ever, TBH) and I'm modyfing Weynon Priory house mesh. I'm doing some Blender work and so far everything was fine until now... I've realised that textures are being distorted and "move" in-game depending on from where I am looking at them. They look good in Blender and in Nifskope, but not in game. It's no different if that's original mesh or the one I've created, if the UV mapping was done by me or by Bethesda. It's not clearly visible on all the meshes, but sometimes it just ruins my plans. Is it something normal in Oblivion (I suspected it before, while playing, that textures act funny) or is it something on my end? Thanks in advance for any help!

PS I run modded game, but none mods that change shaders, textures or meshes, if that's relevant.

error.png

Recalculate vertex normals and tangent spaces in NifSkope.

Thank you so much! I updated tangent spaces in Nifskope and it did help a lot, but there're still some (minor) problems. I've searched how to recalculate vertex normals but, well, to no avail. Is there an easy way to do this or will I have to achieve this with some python code commands or something like this?

if you're using NIfSkope 2.0 and chose the option to recalculate the tangent spaces, the vertex normals will have been updated automatically.

Not having used NifSkope for a long while, I simply forgot that recalculation of normals and tangent spaces are no longer separate operations as they were in NifSkope 1.1.

Once again, thanks a lot. It's much better after recalculating tangent spaces, but still some minor glitches occure. Well, it seems I'll have to live with them.

Can you show us? It would help if you could select the mesh so that we can see the geometry.

No problem, picture below. As you can see, in-game bricks on the fireplace aren't as straight as in Nifskope (horizontal lines are slightly curved, number 1). Fireplace is the vanilla mesh, only with changed texture. The other thing is that clearly visible line on the wall (under number 2), which should not be visible, because I made sure of that while UV mapping. The closer I walk to the wall, less visible the line is.

Errors.png