RosyPlays

• 3 months later...

That quick? It too me around three weeks in total. Not continuous of course, I just decided to give it 40 minutes here and there over the course of three weeks. There's only so much continuousl copying and pasting answers to obscure lore questions from Google and squinting your eyes to find blurry pictures of bicycles the human mind can stand without breaking threough the insantiy threshold.

The typicel sign-up process over the course of those days went as follows:

Enter user name: Lord Snot

Create a password: Thisisnotmypassword

What is the precise size in hectars of the Vaults of Gemin in the original pre-Alpha release of Elder Scrolls Arena? : 1,457.53

Click on the blurry pictures of bicycles: click, click, clickety click, click click

Who was head of the Minerals Management Services during the first quarter of Jimmy Carter's tenure as US president: Rex Hamilton

Click on the blurry pictures of crosswalks: click, click, clickety click, click click

Who begat the second cousin's sister's lawful commonlaw spouse during the early reign of King Gothryd of Daggerfall? Boldryn Wulfranghausen

What answer is incorrect.

Click on the out-of-focus pictures of motorcycles: click, click, clickety click, click click

What was the springtime residence during the constitutional period of the Danish monarchy in the year 1464?

Click on the blurry pictures of bicycles: click, click, clickety click, click click

/RAGEQUIT....

And so it went on..... day after day...

Alright, settle down.

It's basically the only way we can keep the bots at bay, and sometimes they still get through. So, yes, we know signup is a pain but we can't justify increasing site staff just to have them mowing down bots all day long, not least because that would be a miserable job - sort of like a Tower Defence game via text editor.

• Haha 1

@Arthmoor Its ages since I had to make an account here, but reading this topic sounds like a bunch of captcha ..

Would this help https://blog.cloudflare.com/turnstile-private-captcha-alternative/

I heard about it on Security now podcast, its supposed to be good and less hassle for users. https://www.grc.com/sn/sn-891.pdf They are blabbing about it around half way down page 13.

This quote is from the cloudflare blog ..

So whether or not you’re a Cloudflare customer today, if you’re using a CAPTCHA, try Turnstile for free, instead. You’ll make your users happier, and minimize the data you send to third parties.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Took me four sessions and 26 tries.  Answers being correct was not accepted. But I got in! Thanks for Sigurd in paticular for encouraging me to stick with it.

• 4 weeks later...

One try success.  Big prob, getting more phone time for Google login. 

i too can confiirm that the sign up questions are obscure and tedious. i'm sure there's a better way. though i do think it hilarious in hindsight

Honestly, we're open to suggestions.

That said, we'd only take an alternative that was at least as effective.

• 1 month later...

Guess I got lucky. Question I got was "What city in Fallout 3 is built in an aircraft carrier" Then for captcha pics I got bright shiny trumpets to pick out among roads and buildings and such.

Nice little site though, hope it grows bigger