USSEP compatibility patch with a mod called thunderchild

jacklhoward

This mod is from2017 and there are a load of compatibility patches on nexus. Most are obvious in what they do but there is one patch confuses me. It's called USSEP Patch. I am not sure what it does and the description doesn't tell. It says it carries over changes in USSEP to thunderchild mod. Is the patch outdated now ussep has been updated in June? Should I use it or should I wait for updated compatibility patch? If it is unlikely the author or other modders will submit ussep patch for thunderchild, what should I do?

I am also afraid the patch will revert shouts like marked for death back to it's nerfed version from ussep. Does anyone who has used this patch know what it does?

If that patch hasn't been updated since 2017, there's a pretty good chance it's no longer useful. USSEP has been updated MANY times since then.

21 minutes ago, Arthmoor said:

If that patch hasn't been updated since 2017, there's a pretty good chance it's no longer useful. USSEP has been updated MANY times since then.

The patch is relatively recent. Its released in May this year. But the author of the patch is probably a fellow user and they dont keep documentations for ppl.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/67566

Is there a way to take a peek at the contents of the little patch and determine whether it's useful or not? And if the patch is obsolete, what should I do? I am a complete noob to modding and I am only looking for some essential mods for a first time playthru.

The mod thunderchild itself is from 2017. I really like it from the description but maybe its too outdated. Do you think its a good idea to stick to the mod and find all the compatibility patch, or should I just get something similiar but updated more recently instead? I am looking for shout overhaul mods.

thank you for your reply

You'd need to have a look at it with xEdit to see what exactly it's doing. It having released in May might still have some issues with being out of sync with the USSEP's June update.

1 hour ago, jacklhoward said:

- snip - 

The mod thunderchild itself is from 2017. I really like it from the description but maybe its too outdated. Do you think its a good idea to stick to the mod and find all the compatibility patch, or should I just get something similiar but updated more recently instead? I am looking for shout overhaul mods.

While the age of a mod may not necessarily mean that it is outdated or unuseable, due to the many updates that SSE has undergone over the years, and therefore the concurrent updating of many mods to ensure compatibility, unless you know how to use xEdit and interpret what it shows, and are able to make your own patch, it might be better to look for something else that does something similar (search Nexus using "shouts" and you will see a fair number) - or, if that is not possible, to just do without.  The prime thing to always remember when modding any game, is this:

THE GOLDEN RULE OF MODDING:
"No matter how good a mod may look or sound, no matter how much you may really want a mod, if the mod does not work as it should, causes issues in your game, or even seems to have the potential to cause issues, dump the mod. A game that does not work is no game at all." 

(From Steam SSE forum pinned topic Helpful Links and References, Introduction)

Good luck!

15 hours ago, smr1957 said:

While the age of a mod may not necessarily mean that it is outdated or unuseable, due to the many updates that SSE has undergone over the years, and therefore the concurrent updating of many mods to ensure compatibility, unless you know how to use xEdit and interpret what it shows, and are able to make your own patch, it might be better to look for something else that does something similar (search Nexus using "shouts" and you will see a fair number) - or, if that is not possible, to just do without.  The prime thing to always remember when modding any game, is this:

THE GOLDEN RULE OF MODDING:
"No matter how good a mod may look or sound, no matter how much you may really want a mod, if the mod does not work as it should, causes issues in your game, or even seems to have the potential to cause issues, dump the mod. A game that does not work is no game at all." 

(From Steam SSE forum pinned topic Helpful Links and References, Introduction)

Good luck!

Thx. Also how do I get to learn about reading what a mod does and build my own patch? Is there a guide for that?

39 minutes ago, jacklhoward said:

Thx. Also how do I get to learn about reading what a mod does and build my own patch? Is there a guide for that?

First thing is, of course, to read everything in the mod description, as well as all the latest posts on the Post page, in order to learn about the mod in question and any potential issues it may have.  But what you really need is a working knowledge of xEdit, so that you can see what is conflicting.  Now, xEdit is not the easiest thing to learn how to use, and can be a bit daunting at first, but even just learning the basics of using it will help you greatly when it comes to creating your build and ensuring compatibility between mods.  You can get xEdit (as it is generically called) here: SSEEdit

As to how to use it, see these:

GamerPoets video tutorial on using xEdit

Tome of xEdit - by Miax
A Comprehensive Guide to using ElminsterAU's xEdit

Editing In xEdit

A basic guide for how to edit records and other information in xEdit.