Game wont load with Open Cities, no matter how few mods.

Raskunda

Right now I've got an issue where even with zero mods enabled, open cities refuses to work with 1.6.353, which I believe is the most recent version and the one I have through steam. If I enable open cities and try to launch SKSE, it will try, then fail. I've used LOOT to look at load order, fix any issues it thinks open cities has with my mods, and nothing has worked.

Every other mod I have, and there's a few, work right away, and work on a very old pre AE game version so far, I've found no issues other than things you'd expect from skyrim, nothing game breaking at all.

If you need anything from me, let me know.

This is the stuff I provided mod watch with to get help elsewhere, but no one seemed to be willing to help, or tell me if I missed anything. I've been trying for a good 3 1/2 hours now.

Any advice, or anything would be greatly recommended.

Plugins.txt SkyrimPrefs.ini

12 minutes ago, Tasheni said:

Zero mods enabled and new game? This is what I would try at first.

Literally zero mods, and the game will never even open, so new game is moot at that point.

10 minutes ago, Raskunda said:

Literally zero mods

If your game will not load with zero mods then the cause is not Open Cities.  I would advise re-installing the game.

Your original post is a contradiction - if you have zero mods, then that means you don't even have OCS or any SKSE plugins. So the game itself would be broken and you need to revalidate it.

If however you DO have stuff installed, you should make sure you don't have any outdated SKSE extensions because a small number of those were not updated to support SE 1.6 and the symptom of trying to use one anyway is that the game may simply not load.

If you removed the mods and tried continuing on a previous save that had those mods installed, then that is also an issue, as if you remove/disable a mod you either have to go back to a save made prior to having installed the mod or start a new game (as Tasheni suggested).  Also, you need to do as Arthmoor said and check that the mods you are using, as well as the version of SKSE64 that you have (it should be Current Aniversary Edition build 2.1.5), are compatible with the latest game version (1.6.353).  The only version of Open Cities available is for game version 1.6.353, so Open Cities is not the issue here.

For further reference as regards removing mods midplaythrough and the consequences of doing so, see this. Also, besides validating the game files, if you start a new game, you may need to do a clean reinstall, as described in this: Skyrim SE Clean Vanilla Reinstall as sometimes files get left over when mods are uninstalled.

Good luck, and let us know how things go, Raskunda

1 hour ago, Pseron Wyrd said:

If your game will not load with zero mods then the cause is not Open Cities.  I would advise re-installing the game.

I figured people would get that i meant with ONLY open cities. 

55 minutes ago, Arthmoor said:

Your original post is a contradiction - if you have zero mods, then that means you don't even have OCS or any SKSE plugins. So the game itself would be broken and you need to revalidate it.

If however you DO have stuff installed, you should make sure you don't have any outdated SKSE extensions because a small number of those were not updated to support SE 1.6 and the symptom of trying to use one anyway is that the game may simply not load.

I've never had Skyrim installed on this computer before, everything is the first install and brand new. And of course i have the things like SKSE, SKYUI, and anything that would be needed to run with just open cities.

The only thing that has carried over from my OLD PC is steam cloud saves, but I fail to see how adding 50 mods working fine, but adding open cities is breaking it. And again, this point is moot.

I hope this isn't sounding too hostile, but It's about the freshest install you can get.

You are again posting in contradictions though. You're now saying you have several SKSE extentions, and 50 mods along with a bunch of old saves. You've provided none of this information to anyone trying to help you. So you need to stop going back and forth like this and provide a full load order, including all of the SKSE extensions you're using. Get rid of the old saves. Those are very often the source of problems with major game updates. If you aren't willing to ditch them entirely, then copy them somewhere safe and delete them from the game folder temporarily.

Don't use any sort of downgrading tools either because all those do is disrupt things, break stuff, and cause problems. Especially with mods like OCS which require a fully functional 1.6 update.

I removed the saves, no luck. It does feel like people aren't hearing me, when I disable everything but open cities and the requirements like skse (JUST SKSE) and skyUI, it will not even launch the game. like, picture everything you need to launch just the game and open cities. If I'm coming across as a dick or whatever, I really am sorry, I'm just extra frustrated and tired. 

It simply wont. but here's my loot order from LOOT, and below, anything you might need. If I missed something, please tell me how to find it.

loadorder.bak.0 masterlist.yaml.metadata.toml masterlist.yaml.metadata.toml

I understand how frustrating it can be but bear with us as we try to help you.

Unrelated to OCS, I see problems in your load order that need to be addressed.

- Get the Unofficial Creation Club Patches. Life will be so much happier.
- You're missing an RDO + CRF + USSEP patch, it's on the RDO page.

And I have to ask - what the heck are those SKSE plugins LibFire, LibMathf, and LibTurtleClub??

According to the last skse64.log you're still trying to load a save game. Have you tried starting a New game? And when you say the 'launch fails' at what point does it crash? Are you getting to the Main Menu or not?

As Hana said, we understand how frustrating things can be - just take your time and answer any questions we may ask you.  And if things become too frustrating, then take a break - trying to fix things when you are ultra frustrated can just lead to making mistakes.

As to another thing that Hana mentioned, regarding tying to load an existing save, as I previously posted, you cannot.  You MUST start with a new game when troubleshooting, due to the data that has been baked into existing saves.  Furthermore, when starting the new game, you should do a clean reinstall (instructions are also linked in my previous post on how to do that) to ensure that there are no leftover files.

As to how to go about troubleshooting your build, see this for a general outline: Troubleshooting Your Load Order

From looking at your actual load order, I can say from what I can see of the mods you have installed that have a plugin, there should not really be an issue - provided that your PC can handle things - and if it is a laptop and does not have dedicated graphics card, that could be an issue - you might want to post your machine's specs so that we can see that as well - if only to rule it out as being an issue.  The only possible issue as far as plugins go, is that Immersive Patrols does add a large number of NPCs to the game, and though by itself Open Cities is not usually an issue, it could just be putting the game over the tipping point if your rig is not quite capable of handling things.  This can also be a problem if you are using a lot of high resolution texture mods.  Although many people like to use 4K and even higher at times, for best performance (and really with almost unnoticeable difference in appearance), 2K textures are really the way to go - with only using 4k (if at all) for a few selected items.

As I said, just take your time and try to do things one step at a time.  We want to help, and will do what we can to get your issue resolved and your game up and running again.

One more thing.  Though it would seem to be obvious, perhaps because of that it is being overlooked.  Make sure that you are using the current version of Open Cities, as previous ones are not compatible with the current version of the game (1.6.353):

Also, you mentioned that you have it from Steam - meaning, I take it, the Steam Workshop.  The Workshop is purely for original Skyrim (Oldrim, as it is referred to), and not for SSE.  So if you are using a version that you got from the Steam Workshop, it will NOT work. (Unless of course you were referring to SSE from Steam, and not the mod, in which case ignore this last sentence - LOL!  But, either way, redownload the mod from the link here, just to ensure you have the latest version.)

1 hour ago, Hana said:

I understand how frustrating it can be but bear with us as we try to help you.

Unrelated to OCS, I see problems in your load order that need to be addressed.

- Get the Unofficial Creation Club Patches. Life will be so much happier.

And I have to ask - what the heck are those SKSE plugins LibFire, LibMathf, and LibTurtleClub??

According to the last skse64.log you're still trying to load a save game. Have you tried starting a New game? And when you say the 'launch fails' at what point does it crash? Are you getting to the Main Menu or not?

Okay, thank you, I'll try fixing those two things.

Secondly, they're for a mod called master of disguises, this is something I've been using after I found that open cities wasn't working, and wanted to play, even if it was without open cities.

and to answer your last part, when i have open cities enabled in my mod manager, it opens the CMD window you briefly see before the game would open normally, hangs for a second, then closes, and looking at steam as it's launching, it says playing for a second, then closes, so I can summise it istrying to load, hangs for a few moments, then aborts.

1 hour ago, smr1957 said:

As Hana said, we understand how frustrating things can be - just take your time and answer any questions we may ask you.  And if things become too frustrating, then take a break - trying to fix things when you are ultra frustrated can just lead to making mistakes.

As to another thing that Hana mentioned, regarding tying to load an existing save, as I previously posted, you cannot.  You MUST start with a new game when troubleshooting, due to the data that has been baked into existing saves.  Furthermore, when starting the new game, you should do a clean reinstall (instructions are also linked in my previous post on how to do that) to ensure that there are no leftover files.

As to how to go about troubleshooting your build, see this for a general outline: Troubleshooting Your Load Order

From looking at your actual load order, I can say from what I can see of the mods you have installed that have a plugin, there should not really be an issue - provided that your PC can handle things - and if it is a laptop and does not have dedicated graphics card, that could be an issue - you might want to post your machine's specs so that we can see that as well - if only to rule it out as being an issue.  The only possible issue as far as plugins go, is that Immersive Patrols does add a large number of NPCs to the game, and though by itself Open Cities is not usually an issue, it could just be putting the game over the tipping point if your rig is not quite capable of handling things.  This can also be a problem if you are using a lot of high resolution texture mods.  Although many people like to use 4K and even higher at times, for best performance (and really with almost unnoticeable difference in appearance), 2K textures are really the way to go - with only using 4k (if at all) for a few selected items.

As I said, just take your time and try to do things one step at a time.  We want to help, and will do what we can to get your issue resolved and your game up and running again.

Regarding new game, all these issues are independent of game saves, as even removing them from my save file location did not allow the game to boot to menu with the mod enabled. I can't even attempt to load a save with open cities enabled, I can't even get to the game menu with it enabled, as it stands. 

regarding the version, I got open cities from here, yesterday. 

The only reason I have any saves at all is because the downloaded from the cloud, that's the only thing from a previous install that exists, the last time I played being on a completely different machine. Removing them didn't solve the fail to boot issue. I was so baffled that only open cities and nothing else enabled was causing a fail to boot. 

Thirdly, regarding my PC, it's a 1070Ti, an i5 comet lake running at 2.(GHz base, but actually running closer to 4GHz iirc. (This isn't through any manual overclocking, nor is it a K model), 32GB of RAM, and the game is running off of an M.2 NVME SSD. SO there's definitely no texture issue, I've checked that the game renders textures just fine.

I'll be trying the things listed over the next few hours and will provide further updates, thank you for your patience. 

In summary, without open cities being loaded, i can play my old saves if i want so far, absolutely zero issues. Once i get open cities working and booting to main menu with it, I'll be wiping the slate clean, and making a new save.

Well, we can at least rule out your machine being an issue, Raskunda.  So, the best approach now is to do the clean reinstall and start a new game, taking things one step at a time.  As to cloud saves, it is best that for the future you disable cloud saves completely, and as to saves, disable auto saves, do not use quick saves, and just rely upon manual saves.  It will require you to remember to save often, but it will also avoid some of the issues that may possibly occur when using auto and quick saves.

And, I can't emphasize enough the necessity of taking a break when things get to be too much or you are tired; I know from personal experience that when I am tired, the chance of me making a mistake increases tremendously.

Good luck, and keep us informed as to how things are going.

EDIT - It may also be that adding Open Cities to an existing save may be the issue - Arthmoor, of course, would know far better than anyone as to whether that could be an issue or not.  Personally, Open Cities is a mod that I would have enabled from the start, just so as to avoid any potential issues with the game loading it into a pre-existing save.

2 hours ago, smr1957 said:

< sic >  

As to cloud saves, it is best that for the future you disable cloud saves completely, and as to saves, disable auto saves, do not use quick saves, and just rely upon manual saves.  It will require you to remember to save often, but it will also avoid some of the issues that may possibly occur when using auto and quick saves.

< prune >

I keep hearing this claim that "auto saves and quick saves" should be disabled, but I have seen no real evidence that this has any effect at all.  I have seen tons of anecdotal evidence that they are bad, but nothing based on empirical data or facts.  Perchance you can supply us with some measurable and repeatable evidence that disabling these saves prevents any problems. 

PS.   My anecdotal evidence is that I run with auto (and quick, where appropriate) saves enabled in Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Skyrim, and Fallout 4, and have NEVER had an issue with any of these saves. 

Adding OCS to an existing save isn't an issue, but a point was raised that needs to be verified. Are you SURE you're installing the one for SE? I will grant the category names on the site aren't always clear, but if you accidentally installed the one for LE, that would cause what you're describing as well. SE will insta-crash on load with an LE mod archive.

You also need to be absolutely sure that you haven't removed the 4 new DLCs from your install in SE because OCS expects those to be present since it needs data from them.

3 hours ago, smr1957 said:

Well, we can at least rule out your machine being an issue, Raskunda.  So, the best approach now is to do the clean reinstall and start a new game, taking things one step at a time.  As to cloud saves, it is best that for the future you disable cloud saves completely, and as to saves, disable auto saves, do not use quick saves, and just rely upon manual saves.  It will require you to remember to save often, but it will also avoid some of the issues that may possibly occur when using auto and quick saves.

And, I can't emphasize enough the necessity of taking a break when things get to be too much or you are tired; I know from personal experience that when I am tired, the chance of me making a mistake increases tremendously.

Good luck, and keep us informed as to how things are going.

EDIT - It may also be that adding Open Cities to an existing save may be the issue - Arthmoor, of course, would know far better than anyone as to whether that could be an issue or not.  Personally, Open Cities is a mod that I would have enabled from the start, just so as to avoid any potential issues with the game loading it into a pre-existing save.

the saves that I have pulled from the cloud come from open cities enabled games. SO they should not be the thing conflicting with it. I've not played without OCS in a long time.

As for the tired thing, yeah, I'm a game dev student at college, tiredness has made me make some amusing mistakes. 

35 minutes ago, Arthmoor said:

Adding OCS to an existing save isn't an issue, but a point was raised that needs to be verified. Are you SURE you're installing the one for SE? I will grant the category names on the site aren't always clear, but if you accidentally installed the one for LE, that would cause what you're describing as well. SE will insta-crash on load with an LE mod archive.

You also need to be absolutely sure that you haven't removed the 4 new DLCs from your install in SE because OCS expects those to be present since it needs data from them.

I will definitely go check this now, I can't actually be sure.

5 hours ago, Hana said:

I couldn't find that on the nexus page, am I looking for it on the wrong place? I know there's been a shakeup that makes this thing awkward so I want to be sure. 

Thank you for being patient with me.

SO I've regrabbed the SE version, just to be sure, reloaded my anniversery content picker to add all content, and this time, the open cities patches mod had patches for the grey cowl and bittercup, and it now works as intended.

Perhaps I did have the wrong version of open cities, I'll never know, but this has been a humbling and well taught lesson, thank you everyone. Even works with my old save. I can only hope it continues to do so.

Thank you very much all, my game experience is improved with this.