Switching Out, Switching In: Window Frozen

lmstearn

On W10, Alt-Tabbing out of windowed borderless Oblivion doesn't get an immediate Dr. Watson as it used to, trying to switch back in mostly cops a black screen of nothing, so it has to be force terminated. Convenient on a multi-monitor system when a Task Manager or similar dialog is waiting on another monitor.

This also happens in interior/exterior locations, console mode, and even when switching out of the Load Menu in an older DVD based Oblivion here- for the Steam version, does the overlay ever show when switching back?

As to why, one guess is that the game wants a mouse, and can't find one on switch back. Another is the game does not handle a min/max event, so the message has really no place to go, hence the lock-up.

Given that these days the game loads much more quickly from an SSD, so it isn't such a big issue to just quit the game in order to do something else. Still, anyone had better luck with it in various mod combinations or different ini settings?

Thanks. :)

• Like 1

I've never uesed W10 or played in windowed borderless mode, so take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt.  But years ago I used to keep a small program open in the background (I used Notepad for this).  For some reason this always used to allow me to easily alt-tab out of Morrowind and Oblivion.  It might be worth a try.  

• Like 3

Interesting, did any of the mods in the install have an effect? Tried it without success, there's also a suggestion here the old Switch_To worked- but there might be something else with this rig and setup that is not right. Not using OR if that were a thing.

Must have missed this mod, which includes source code. Might be worth a look at, as most of the comments are positive.

Also, repeated the old and amusing error of applying the borderless to obse_loader instead of Oblivion, will test tomorrow for any improvement. :)

• Like 1

Pseron Wyrd has the right idea here.  I always keep at least one program open besides whatever game I am currently playing, Notepad is good but for me I usually have File Explorer and/or my web browser open in the background.  Makes sharing screenshots mid-game possible.  Win10 doesn't like alt+tab for any program if there is no other program open to move to.  It won't just go to desktop, it just doesn't do anything at all!  IDK about any mods.  Just keep something open if you want to alt+tab out of game.  Otherwise, Win10 won't alt+tab at all.  I'm sure you've seen a dog look at something sideways when confused.  Without a second program, Win10 just gives you that sideways dog stare as if saying, "alt+tab to what?" 

hahaha:lmao:

Hope that helps.  Adventure ever on my friends, Phat:beer:

PS:  I have a game open right now.  I used alt+tab to check in on forums and email.  The game is still running, just on pause in the menu.  I do that all the time.  Works with all the games I have tried thus far as well, not just BGS titles.  I pause the game and alt+tab to web, files or whatever then return to game and play some more. :) 

• Like 3

Thanks Phat, good to know. :lol:

Found the culprit, OBGE V2, which explains the black window. Weird that it happens at the opening menu, all the same.

Good news, it's at Github, so plenty of code on tap to pore through. Or more properly, pour through. Perhaps poor through if it becomes too much a strain and drain. Or, if you are with @Uncus, paw through ... wait - (overcome by nystagmus) - now this puppy is confused ... whoah there (brings himself to heel).  :geek:

• Haha 1

IDK code.  Couldn't code my way out of a wet paper sack!  Hahahahahahaha:rofl:

I leave such spells and incantations to those with the talent to cast them.:fear:  Hahaha:lmao:  (Thanks Farengar...):fear:

:mage:

I do tend to notice how things interact as I play.  I just happened to notice that alt+tab no longer takes one to desktop like earlier versions of windows.  In Win10 there has to be another program open to swap with or Win10 gives you the sideways dog stare...  Notepad is sufficient and rather low usage on system resources.  But, just like the other day when I first responded, I have my browser open in the background and my game is currently on pause:fear:  I often play 12+ hours straight, like today, then take little breaks to check email, forums, wtf time is it? and other points of interest before returning to my game.  This particular instance was to get up and get a beverage but here I am checking forums again as well.:)  It's 1AM Tuesday the 24th here for me... barely Tuesday and likely your dinner time in Australia.:)  

Adventure ever on my friend:starwars:  Peace, Phat:gnight:

• Like 2