Open Cities Skyrim special edition?

SCUBADIVER101

Hello I downgraded my skyrim to get the ae content. I followed this video to do so.

I'm having trouble getting into buildings in solitude. Is there a version of open cities someone can direct me to? I found the special edition but since I downgraded I don't think it will work. Thanks!

Open Cities can be found here:

It is a long standing policy to only have available a version of the mod which works with the current, supported verion of the game - in this case, version 1.6.353.  As such, it will work with the content added by the November game update.  It will not work with older, unsupported versions of SSE (1.5.97, for example).  So, if you downgraded to that prior version, Open Cities will not work (unless you have an earlier version of the mod saved on your PC).

• Thanks 1

So - our policy here is we only really support the current version of any game or mod. If you want to use an older version of either you need to develop the skills to support yourself if you run into a problem.

I say this as someone using a truly ancient version of Better Cities for Oblivion.

However - let me correct a couple of inaccuracies in that video that may help to clear things up for you.

• Skyrim Special Edition 1.5.x and lower = what people call "Skyrim SE".
  • Skyrim Special Edition 1.6.x and higher = what people call "Skyrim AE".
  • Starting with Skyrim 1.6.x Bethesda uses a newer version of Visual Studio to compile the exe file, requiring any DLL designed to hook into the exe, including SKSE, be updated.
  • Skyrim 1.6.x adds new content to the base game.

So, you see, "SE" and "AE" are really just different versions of the same game. Whether a given mod will works or not depends on whether it hooks into the exe or not and whether is interacts with the new content. In the case of Open Cities, the mod was updated to take account of the new fishing content, which meant moving a few things around and AFAIK that's it.

So, if you can't get into houses in Solitude either you're using the wrong version of the mod or the downgrade broke a file such as Update.esm, or left you with a file miss-match between Skyrim.esm and Update.esm.

To be honest, unless you're using an old SKSE plugin there's no reason to downgrade the game at this point, at all. Any mod issues should be resolved with a patch to the mod itself via an esp.

• Thanks 1

Not to be pedantic on the point, but specifically, "AE" is a marketing bundle label on Steam. It isn't an actual product. It's the combination of two distinct products - "Skyrim Special Edition" and "Skyrim Anniversary Edition Upgrade". The latter of which is an optional DLC package that brings you the other 70 pieces of the Creation Club content in one purchase.

As far as downgrading, it's definitely not something that should be done since it only ever leads to weird problems. There are things in the 4 free DLCs that came with the 1.6 update that require functions that are not available in 1.5.

Thank you everybody for the help, ill consider everything said. I "downgraded" in an attempt to continue my current save, I had my steam settings to auto update which kinda screwed me. After a few videos I came across this one which helped me get it working again. Majority of my mods work now, I purchased the AE bundle but found I couldn't play my save with my mods. If I can't get it to work I plan on playing through the dawnstar storyline before "upgrading" and possibly creating a whole new mod list for a new play through. Made it to level 67

Greatly appreciate the skyrim community,

Open Cities is really game changing, glad I decided to spend the time modding this game.

Thanks for the incredible mods

On 5/1/2022 at 3:04 PM, Arthmoor said:

Not to be pedantic on the point, but specifically, "AE" is a marketing bundle label on Steam. It isn't an actual product. It's the combination of two distinct products - "Skyrim Special Edition" and "Skyrim Anniversary Edition Upgrade". The latter of which is an optional DLC package that brings you the other 70 pieces of the Creation Club content in one purchase.

As far as downgrading, it's definitely not something that should be done since it only ever leads to weird problems. There are things in the 4 free DLCs that came with the 1.6 update that require functions that are not available in 1.5.

So does this mean the current versions of your mods won't work with version 1.5.97?

26 minutes ago, exx said:

So does this mean the current versions of your mods won't work with version 1.5.97?

That is correct - they will only work with the current version of the game, which is 1.6.353

• 1 month later...

I know this is a weird question, but unfortunately because of my mod list, "Saints and Seducers" causes my game to crash, but that's besides the point, my question is, is there a version of Open Cities WITHOUT requiring this DLC AND for AE as well? Or is there a way to modify the .esp to not require it?

59 minutes ago, xMik3x said:

I know this is a weird question, but unfortunately because of my mod list, "Saints and Seducers" causes my game to crash, but that's besides the point, my question is, is there a version of Open Cities WITHOUT requiring this DLC AND for AE as well? Or is there a way to modify the .esp to not require it?

No.  The only version of Open Cities is for the current version of the game - 1.6.353. - and it cannot be changed, as it is designed to work with only the current version.  However, if you are on the current version of the game, Saints and Seducers is an inherent part of SSE now (along with Dawnguard, Hearthfire, Dragonborn, Rare Curios, Fishing, and Survival) and as with any of the other DLCs that are built in (which, in actuality, are technically not DLCs at all - since they are built in), it cannot be removed.  If something in your mod list is conflicting with one of the built in DLCs (such as Saints and Seducers), then you need to determine what mod it is and remove that mod - there is no other way; that other mod is conflicting with the game itself.  Also, as far as the game is concerned, it is SSE - Anniversary Edition (AE) is nothing more than a optional DLC consisting of all 70 Creation Club mods that you can buy.

1 hour ago, smr1957 said:

No.  The only version of Open Cities is for the current version of the game - 1.6.353. - and it cannot be changed, as it is designed to work with only the current version.  However, if you are on the current version of the game, Saints and Seducers is an inherent part of SSE now (along with Dawnguard, Hearthfire, Dragonborn, Rare Curios, Fishing, and Survival) and as with any of the other DLCs that are built in, it cannot be removed.  If something in your mod list is conflicting with one of the built in DLCs (such as Saints and Seducers), then you need to determine what mod it is and remove that mod - there is no other way.  Also, as far as the game is concerned, it is SSE - Anniversary Edition (AE) is nothing more than a optional DLC consisting of all 70 Creation Club mods that you can buy.

That's unfortunate, and yes I'm running AE at the moment, sadly something does conflict with Saints and Seducers since disabling it alone allows me play the game without issue, I'll have to test what's causing it, thanks for the quick reply!

Why can't they simply upload the SE version of Open Cities similar to how Nexus Mods has every version released (prior versions avalible for download.) 90% of mods are for SE and not AE and that is why there are so many downgrade tutorials. Makes 0 sense to delete the file for the older version just to stay up to date when you could have both file versions up instead. Open Cities is a huge quality of life improvement and if it stayed on Nexus, downloading the older file wouldn't be an issue. Too many hoops to jump through just to get this mod back. :\

The SE version of OCS is already online and available. Just not on Nexus, and it won't be coming back to Nexus either until they change their ways back to something that resembles respect for a mod author's rights.

The archive system on Nexus that is enabling this silly push to never update the game is precisely the thing many of us strongly disagree with and will not willingly support.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Open Cities is such an awesome mod, but when i installed it,  my game sometimes jumps to the desktop... do you guys have this problem too?

Is it maybe because of my game version 1.6.640 ???

That's nothing OCS would be directly responsible for. The game is notorious for random crashes with no apparent cause. This was reduced quite a bit with the 1.6 updates, but it can still be a thing.

Of course, the more likely explanation is that there are other mods in your setup which aren't behaving themselves. Poorly constructed mods are the main big reason the game crashes these days.