Monetisation of Mods

lmstearn

In perusing this topic at Nexus Mods, questions come to mind as to the extent and impact of mod monetisation in the gaming community these days.

Of interest is this:

• In the interest of fairness, even if monetisation of modding is sanctioned by the game’s developers/EULA, please do not link to it on our site

Just how many game dev orgs as a percentage of all sanction mod monetisation? Surely, NexusMods would permit a mod page declaration that the devs do sanction it, upon which the idea the subscriber will then be spurred on to obtain a side by side comparison of all of the mods of the game, paid versus unpaid, and make his/her own value judgement. Probably ends up like another iteration on the old shareware/trialware/freeware model where labour is paid for stable and tested mods, as opposed to the free stuff, which may work, but suspect to a possible unintended payload somewhere along the line that could very well end up borking the game.

Happy with the NexusMods approach to it, at least in terms of how the site presents the mods, but it looks as if many folks are out of joint with the current fixtures. Do they, or NexusMods have an alternative?

Honestly, I have no idea what that rant of a news post was supposed to be about. As far as I can tell there's no rampant problem with people posting links to Patreon pages with paywalled mods behind them. Certain places do seem to like to help that conspiracy theory along, but it just doesn't seem to be an issue.

The cynic in me says that news post is directed toward an individual or small team who did something bad and the Nexus response is to admonish the entire community for something it simply isn't doing.

• Like 2

kind of, I don't know who is doing this but you all have to stop doing it.:rofl:

just got love the tin foil hat brigade and their theories.

4 hours ago, Uncus said:

kind of, I don't know who is doing this but you all have to stop doing it.:rofl:

How absolutely true!  Remember that attitude from grade school - LOL!  And some things just never change - and never will!

I really hate people who think it's okay to punish the masses for the actions of a few. That's simply not punishment, but cruelty, and if anything, all it will accomplish is making everyone hate you.

So, having read the original post I think this was written with legal advice.

What they are basically saying is, "you can link to a Patreon, so long as you aren't putting your mods behind a paywall." Plenty of modders have Patreons where they just offer sneak peeks (screenshots etc) or even less.

Some people, mentioning no names, have actually paywalled mods or even just modlists. Some of those pay-walls have previously been promoted on Nexus going back some time. Nexus has historically been quite lax on this.

To be honest, if you aren't linking to a paywalled Patreon on Nexus you don't need to worry at all.

Moderator warning: let's not turn this topic into an anti-Nexus dogpile.

12 minutes ago, Sigurð Stormhand said:

So, having read the original post I think this was written with legal advice.

What they are basically saying is, "you can link to a Patreon, so long as you aren't putting your mods behind a paywall." Plenty of modders have Patreons where they just offer sneak peeks (screenshots etc) or even less.

Some people, mentioning no names, have actually paywalled mods or even just modlists. Some of those pay-walls have previously been promoted on Nexus going back some time. Nexus has historically been quite lax on this.

To be honest, if you aren't linking to a paywalled Patreon on Nexus you don't need to worry at all.

Moderator warning: let's not turn this topic into an anti-Nexus dogpile.

Seems that for the vast majority of people, it just would not apply - sort of like the old saying, "if you have to ask, and don't know, then it probably does not apply to you."  I would imagine, anyway.

8 hours ago, Sigurð Stormhand said:

Thanks for the heads up, wasn't sure at all of what was happening over there. If looking for a bit of coin, something more like a donation wail on the mod page, with a catchy refrain such as:

Well, it's up to them I guess. :P