Require but not Consume a Component?

Gruffydd

Is there a way to require you have something available as a component to build something, but not consume that component in the process? Or alternately to have the crafting create multiple objects at once so that I can add in the crafted item, plus replacements for all of the consumed components?

I'm wanting to require paint cans for crafting graffiti, but not use up a full can of paint for each color in each item.

That can be done - for instance, in Skyrim's Complete Alchemy and Cooking Overhaul, the water and some of the foods (wine or bags of flour, for example) are actually made up of smaller units, so use only consumes 1 unit of the item - whether the use is ingesting it or using it for crafting.  As to actually implementing this, I would personally have to check how it is done in xEdit - so I don't want to say or even suggest how to do it.  But, the bottom line is, yes, there should be a way of doing what you want, even in FO4.

Well, to venture a guess, you can make it so that using one can of paint, you can craft, let us say, 4 units of paint.  And then, for the item that uses paint, you can set the requirement as using 1 paint unit.  So it would be a two step process, first to craft the units of paint using one can - converting that can of paint into 4 paint units, and then using the individual units for the crafting of the item that you wish (with the unused units of paint remaining in your inventory).