Named NPCs unexpectedly hostile

anonymouselbow

I'm playing with no mods other than the Creation Club what came with November 11th update yet sometimes (several in fact) named NPCs are unexpectedly hostile towards my character and I can't figure out why.  Somebody at the Bethesda Discord said this is a bug in the vanilla game and suggested asking at AFK Mods more about it and whether the USSEP addresses it.

However, I'm wondering if there is something I could do without installing any mods until after I've finished playing vanilla, perhaps a console command I could use, to immediately change the hostility status of an NPC.

I'll try if the scenario presents itself but the first time this happened the guards in Riverwood joined the villagers and were attacking me.  Then in Whiterun the guards were fleeing from me when I tried approaching them.  Just now I went to Dushnik Yal but the chief Burguk was hostile, which is confusing because I have (or maybe it's "had"?) blood-kin status.  After I fled their stronghold, I came across two NPCs attacking a bear, while wearing Nocturnal's Cowl I could see one was marked red and the other blue.  Using console I was able to identify from a safe distance they were Athus and Vilkas of the Companions.  Athus was marked red and I decided to give a wide berth.