AFK Mods / Account Creation

Innocent

What asshole made the sign up process? So difficult, make normal questions or change the system to colors or something lol. IDGAF about politics xD

This is the second thread on this topic this week.  It may be slightly more inconvenient than some other sites perhaps, but it does an effective job of preventing spam. 

When Bethesda opened their last forum in 2017 we had an enormous problem with advertising spam.  We got hit with over 1000 spam posts every night.  It was hell on the moderating staff.  As soon as we banned an account and removed their posts they would create a new account and start posting advertising spam all over again.

If the sign-up process prevents that kind of thing here, I am all for it.

1 hour ago, Pseron Wyrd said:

If the sign-up process prevents that kind of thing here, I am all for it.

This. It's basically the only thing keeping the bots at bay. Google Captcha is useless for this purpose because bots and human run bot farms can solve those easily.

The only other measure that could be put into place is requiring everyone to have 2FA set up, because bots don't generally do that. Some human run spam farms will though and they'd be a huge problem. So it wouldn't be as effective at dealing with it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lest we forget, the questions are random and the answers can be googled.  Just copy/paste the question into everybody's favorite search engine. 

Arth thank you for the response and I no you smart as hell, but it just caught me way off guard. Security is important though I no, thank you for the response. Also Scythe you CAN'T google every question :) unless your ready to do a lot of digging and reading and I don't read, unless it's lines of code. (I did attempt a simple search of 2 of the political answers but nothing was populating in the first few options on my end, the skyrim questions worked tho :))

Maybe add a note on account creation page assuring new users it's for security purposes only and it won't be a continual issue, cuz ngl I dipped after making my account cuz I wasn't feeling like running into anymore surprises like at sign in haha.