New player here. Should I install anything else besides the unofficial patch?

Jumbo

Hello there,

I am going to play this game for the first time. I played Fallout 3 years ago. Is the unofficial patch the only essential mod for the game or do I need to install anything else? Thank you.

• Like 1

Hi, and welcome :wave:

I always suggest that new players play the game in its vanilla state before loading up with mods, but yes with the Unofficial Patch at the very least.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hana said:

Hi, and welcome :wave:

I always suggest that new players play the game in its vanilla state before loading up with mods, but yes with the Unofficial Patch at the very least.

As Hana said, play vanilla first - that is always my advice as well - but also as she said, with the Unofficial Patch, at least, as it fixes literally THOUSANDS of bugs.  And this goes for any game, not just FO4. (I deal almost exclusively with Skyrim and SSE, but do play FO4 - and would not dream of not using the Unofficial Patch - in any game that has one.)

• Like 2

Thanks to the both of you. I have played SSE for long as well. It is probably my no. 1 game. And yes, the USSEP is a must for me in Skyrim SE. Therefore, I had a very clear idea that I would use the unofficial patch for Fallout 4 as well. :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

Thanks to the both of you. I have played SSE for long as well. It is probably my no. 1 game. And yes, the USSEP is a must for me in Skyrim SE. Therefore, I had a very clear idea that I would use the unofficial patch for Fallout 4 as well. :)

Then you should be good to go, Jumbo!  Enjoy!

• Like 2

pretty much like everyone already said here, the unofficial patch is needed to fix what bethesda never will, but yeah for first time, i always tell people to play play vanilla and take note of things you wish you could change and then look for mods that change that thing, you will have a much happier modding and game experience doing it this way, rather than trying to follow some huge list of popular mods that everyone says is great.  and after you think you've modded the game to your taste, and you have developed your modding skills, then you may want to tackle a huge list of common great mods.

• Like 2

On 1/21/2022 at 11:53 AM, Jumbo said:

Hello there,

I am going to play this game for the first time. I played Fallout 3 years ago. Is the unofficial patch the only essential mod for the game or do I need to install anything else? Thank you.

Greetings new friend :)  I agree with Hana on trying the vanilla game before adding a bunch of mods.  By doing this then browsing what is available, you will have a better idea of what you want to change or add.  I always use Arthmoor's unofficial patches.  Are they perfect?  No.  Do they offer a far better, less buggy experience than vanilla?  Always! Haha:lmao:  I played a few of the vanilla endings in Fallout 4 before adding mods.  After a few runs I knew what I wanted to add and change... I added well over 200 mods to my last play of Fallout 4.  Armor, weapons, gameplay changes, quest mods...  

I've been a Fallout fan for over two decades now, since the original game.  My favorite part of Fallout 3 was tooling around the capital wastes with Charon at my six just laying waste to every enemy we could find.  That was good fun. :) 

Once you have experienced the vanilla Fallout 4, if you are wanting mod recommendations I am happy to oblige.  I play on PC.  So, my mod LO was all PC mods.  If you play on console, there are plenty of other folks here to show you those other mods when you are ready.  If you are new to using mods... start small and work from there.  It's a game so, above all, enjoy yourself and have fun! :)

Some basic pointers... 

*Collect and store all the junk you find.  All of it can be broken down into crafting components.

*If you decide you want to get into settlement building, you may decide you want to add mods sooner rather than later.  The basic settlement building tools are on the limited side. 

*Do not let Preston keep sending you out to yet another settlement!  He will drive you mad with that. 

*Try all of the faction endings. 

*Explore Fah Hahbah (Far Harbor)  It was my favorite DLC for F4 and well worth the time to play it. 

*Every companion has their own quest.  So, share the love.  My favorites are Dogmeat (sorry boy, no quests for my good dog), MacCready (Yep... that MacCready, all grown up, great sniper), Hancock, Nick Valentive, Cait and Curie.  There are a bunch more so explore the options. 

Check back in and let us know how it goes.  If you find you really want to add mods sooner, just ask.  There is no right or wrong, just our own personal preferences.  So, have some fun and adventure ever on my friend, Phat:blackhand:

• Like 2

Hey, phatbassanchor! Thank you so much for your detailed post! I can see how much you love the Fallout series. Although I prefer a fantasy world (The Elder Scrolls series), I played Fallout 3 back in the day and enjoyed the experience.

I have not had much time to play these last days, so I am still at the very beginning of the game. And yes, I play on PC as well. Also, while I am not new to using mods (I have been playing modded Bethesda games for years), I wish I knew better. For example, while I am good enough following modding guides and the like, I still do not know how to do some very handy stuff, like creating conflict resolution patches in xEdit. The language is also a factor in my case. I am from Spain, so Spanish is my native language, and although I like English and have a decent understanding of your language, I am still not as good at it as I would like.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jumbo said:

Hey, phatbassanchor! Thank you so much for your detailed post! I can see how much you love the Fallout series. Although I prefer a fantasy world (The Elder Scrolls series), I played Fallout 3 back in the day and enjoyed the experience.

I have not had much time to play these last days, so I am still at the very beginning of the game. And yes, I play on PC as well. Also, while I am not new to using mods (I have been playing modded Bethesda games for years), I wish I knew better. For example, while I am good enough following modding guides and the like, I still do not know how to do some very handy stuff, like creating conflict resolution patches in xEdit. The language is also a factor in my case. I am from Spain, so Spanish is my native language, and although I like English and have a decent understanding of your language, I am still not as good at it as I would like.

From what I have read thus far, your English is better than some of the folks here.  You use the language without all the colloquialisms and Idiomatic localizations which people sprinkle throughout their writings (me included).  You also write simply and concisely, without flourishes and excess verbiage.   It is refreshing to see the language used thus.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Scythe Bearer said:

your English is better than some of the folks here

You mentioned Jumbo being concise and to the point...  Yes... I am often profusely verbose.  But, I know the kind of folks you mean... the population of Twitter, Tick Tock and other less intelligent venues of social media...  Hahahahahahaha:rofl:    What the hell are they teaching kids these days?  Not English... that much is certain.:lmao:  American Education has become an oxymoron, more's the pity.

Adventure ever on my friend, Phat:blackhand:  Cheers!:beer:

8 hours ago, Jumbo said:

Greetings Jumbo! :)

Well, I've never been to Spain... but, I kinda like the music... say the ladies are insane there... and, they sure know how to use it... 

Apologies... That's just how my mind works.  I hear or read things and they take me to musical places.  It's like all of my memories are linked to the jukebox that is always playing in my mind.  Just an effect of being a retired pro bassist and life long music lover.  There are similar links to much of the TV and film I have absorbed over the years.  In "Never Been to Spain", if you change out Oklahoma for Indiana, the song could easily be mine.  I currently reside in Arizona (what does it matter) and actually learned a bit of Spanglish which is a mix of Mexican Spanish and English.  However, we will be much better off with your seemingly strong grasp of English than in Spanish, mi amigo.  In fact, had you not said you were from Spain with Spanish as your primary language, I would've taken you for an native English speaking person. 

SSE is also my favorite game of all time.  I still enjoy the older Fallout titles much more that the more recent entries and almost didn't play Fallout 4 at all.  I had purchased a copy from Steam because it was on sale yet it just sat for quite some time.  Then, when a CC update crashed my SSE rather horribly in March of 2018, I took the opportunity to install Fallout 4 and gave it a go.  My initial impression of the base game was mixed.  There were things I enjoyed and quite a few things that I still don't like.  But, I soldiered on and ended up loving the game after a couple hundred mods were added. 

Fast forward from then to now, I am just beginning to learn how to make my own mods.  So, I will be learning how to edit and change mods in Xedit along with the functions of the CK and several other tools my friend is teaching me.  Patching mods is on the list of things to learn and I am always happy to share things I've learned with friends.  That's how I learned, in addition to trial and error with lots of error.  Sharing also helps me retain what I have learned.  So, I hope to be of greater assistance to my friends in the community in the coming months.  I've already helped several other friends learn how to use mods.  Being retired, I have a lot of time and sharing helps me feel useful.  So, I'm happy to help in any way I am able. 

Adventure ever on, Phat:blackhand: