What happens when you pay your 20 bucks for the additional AE content

Scythe Bearer

I got tired of all the speculation and lack of real facts, so I spent the 20 bucks for the additional content which was announced with the Anniversary Edition.  Here's what happened. 

When I start Skyrim, I get a message saying "Thank You for purchasing ... " (whoopee) and the dragon logo is now a golden looking color.  Then the game automagically starts a download.  What is downloaded is Nine .ESL files:
image.png.2c4557ea46759ce315c916b516c65ee0.png

(I also moved one in the load order so they were all grouped together).

Now, I click on the CREATION CLUB link to open the Creation Club download page (imaging that).
image.png.62f0b2fe84490de9bb2d84413e94443e.png

Once the Creation Club page opened, every one of the items show OWNED, and I could download each one individually. 
image.thumb.png.5803cd71d5a23be0c8618a4534fe1bf1.png

So, no more speculation.  No more guessing.  Here it reality. 

One clarification - if you do what you did, the game is going to download as many DLCs as you're missing. You only getting 9 would suggest you already had most of them from before.

It should also be noted that most mod managers won't let you manipulate their positions because ultimately it doesn't matter - the game loads them in a set order, and they will ALWAYS load before any user created mods.

43 minutes ago, Arthmoor said:

One clarification - if you do what you did, the game is going to download as many DLCs as you're missing. You only getting 9 would suggest you already had most of them from before.

It should also be noted that most mod managers won't let you manipulate their positions because ultimately it doesn't matter - the game loads them in a set order, and they will ALWAYS load before any user created mods.

Sorry Arthmoor, but is this case, you're mistaken.  I have NO CC DLC in my  game, well, except for the four and the nine.  Nor have I ever downloaded any.  Here is my entire load order.

image.thumb.png.2b553a512060887759632b07cc3ab08a.png

Please note that there are no files which are not selected, so all downloaded files are listed.

It only downloaded  the nine I documented above.

As for the change in the load order, it was done for the sole purpose documented above.  It was not a permanent change, nor was it a recommendation.  So your comment  on the change of  the order is moot.  

Then something went wrong with your download because if you bought the $20 AE package you should have seen 70 files in total downloaded by the game. Not 9. You may need to restart the game and prod it a bit or something. It's been known to get stuck on some of the DLC downloads, and alt-tabbing out of the game while it's downloading will suspend them.

oh for the love of ...  Nothing went wrong with the download.  The bulk of the 70 others are sitting on Bethesda's servers, marked as owned, and awaiting my request to download. 

I have started the game.  Played for a bit, and even got the ebony plate armor. 

Now, that was the whole point of the exercise, to demonstrate and document what really happened; and not succumb to opinions, speculations, "I think", "Joe Schmuck said ..." or some other random misinformation. 

And let me remove your "if you bought the $20 AE package":

image.thumb.png.71f15ee25ca819e7445af8b3991cee70.png

I redacted the invoice number and my payment method. 

Arthmoor is correct on this. If you've purchased the $20 package, the game is just going to prompt you to download the missing DLC again. I accidently deleted one of them a while back and the prompt wouldn't go away and let me interact with main menu normally until I fixed the problem. I would have to agree with him that something weird is going on in your game if it's allowing you to get around that. For whatever reason, it seems that the developers don't want you picking and choosing which ones you want installed at a given time.

4 hours ago, Scythe Bearer said:

Nothing went wrong with the download.

Something did, because it should have downloaded all of them if you owned none before. That's what it did for me, and it even downloaded all the updates for the ones I already had through various freebies over the years.

Funny thing.  I have successfully played the game and received no prompts. 

Black Pete, I suspect you activated a mod, played for a bit, deleted the mod, and then tried to start your game without the mod (which will cause a prompt). 

Arthmoor, in spite of what you present to the world, you are not omniscient.  You cannot even entertain that you might just be wrong.  You cannot imagine that Bethesda could have changed their installation process in an effort to remediate the complaints they have received about the massive download.  In your mind, it can only be one way; your way. 

Now, I have documented what happened.  Not what anyone thinks should happen, not what anyone wants to happen, not what anyone wished happened, not what someone remembered happened, but what REALLY happened.   

If there exists another brave soul among the flock, maybe they can part with 20 bucks and either validate what I presented, or disprove it empirically.  Until that, I tire of your all telling me what happened didn't, was flawed or in error.  I have documented what happened, where's your proof it is not as I describe?

There's no need to get nasty about it. I'm simply telling you that when I downloaded the stuff, it downloaded all 70 of the DLCs, including those I already had, because they had updates. Bethesda has made no indications of any sort that they've changed the way it works. So before you decide to get all high and mighty about how you are right and the world is wrong, consider for a moment that I'm not the only one who told you what to expect and that your experience differs from the norm.

You have reported on what happened in your case, that's all. Your case is not the universal norm, and I submit that if it were, THOUSANDS of people would be complaining about it because it would render them unable to download the content they paid for.

Now, that being said, the download process was a hot mess in the 1.6.317 release on launch night. Which they corrected in the hotfix for 1.6.318 and have done nothing more since then because it's working for pretty much everyone now. Perhaps you should double check that your Steam install is on the correct version.

Everybody cool off, please. Play the ball, not the man.

Is it, perhaps, possible that you have to select a DLC for download but once you pick it once you're stuck with it forever.

Arthmoor, you report what happened to you.  I am reported what happened to me.  Yet you have implied that what I have documented is a falsehood, a mistake, or an error.  You steadfastly refuse to entertain any other alternative. 

To demonstrate why this exchange is so frustrating and annoying, please consider your post and the highlighted statement. 

20 minutes ago, Arthmoor said:

There's no need to get nasty about it. I'm simply telling you that when I downloaded the stuff, it downloaded all 70 of the DLCs, including those I already had, because they had updates. Bethesda has made no indications of any sort that they've changed the way it works. So before you decide to get all high and mighty about how you are right and the world is wrong, consider for a moment that I'm not the only one who told you what to expect and that your experience differs from the norm.

You have reported on what happened in your case, that's all. Your case is not the universal norm, and I submit that if it were, THOUSANDS of people would be complaining about it because it would render them unable to download the content they paid for.

Now, that being said, the download process was a hot mess in the 1.6.317 release on launch night. Which they corrected in the hotfix for 1.6.318 and have done nothing more since then because it's working for pretty much everyone now. Perhaps you should double check that your Steam install is on the correct version.

Now, consider this statement from my original post.  

7 hours ago, Scythe Bearer said:

I got tired of all the speculation and lack of real facts, so I spent the 20 bucks for the additional content which was announced with the Anniversary Edition.  Here's what happened. 

When I start Skyrim, I get a message saying "Thank You for purchasing ... " (whoopee) and the dragon logo is now a golden looking color.  Then the game automagically starts a download.  What is downloaded is Nine .ESL files:
image.png.2c4557ea46759ce315c916b516c65ee0.png

(I also moved one in the load order so they were all grouped together).

Now, I click on the CREATION CLUB link to open the Creation Club download page (imaging that).
image.png.62f0b2fe84490de9bb2d84413e94443e.png

Once the Creation Club page opened, every one of the items show OWNED, and I could download each one individually. 
image.thumb.png.5803cd71d5a23be0c8618a4534fe1bf1.png

So, no more speculation.  No more guessing.  Here it reality. 

Did you even bother to read the entire post before you went off?   The evidence is that you did not, as your last comment completely ignored my original statement.  So, Arthmoor,  In the future, when you frame your rebuttal, at least read what you are rebutting and frame your rebuttal on what I actually said. 

To add to my frustration, you twice implied that I had NOT purchased the package, until I provided an image of the receipt to silence your implication that I was lying.  So if you seek "nasty", look in the mirror. 

Thread locked.

Let's all take 24 hours and relax.

I'll unlock this thread after then and we'll see if there's any more useful discussion to be had.

• Sigurð Stormhand locked this topic
  • Sigurð Stormhand unlocked this topic

Thread unlocked.

Be Polite.

Otherwise the thread will get locked permanently and sanctions will be issued.

I have heard people who made the purchase more recently say that they had to go into the CC interface and hit the "Download All" button to actually get the additional content. So it could be that one of the later updates quietly changed how the AE download token works.

8 minutes ago, SkyLover said:

I have heard people who made the purchase more recently say that they had to go into the CC interface and hit the "Download All" button to actually get the additional content. So it could be that one of the later updates quietly changed how the AE download token works.

I got AE soon after release and I had to download each mod to get them in the game.

So I went in today to poke around on the AE package a bit, and while the game didn't prompt me to do anything, I manually checked the Steam side of things and used the shiny new "Download All" button that wasn't there before the last time I went all the way to that screen.

I'm assuming it knows which content required updates or not, because clicking that button only downloaded Ghosts of The Tribunal and nothing else. If I were a first time buyer and had never downloaded any of it before, I'd be pretty pissed right now that it only gave me one file instead of all of them.

The thing is, I see nobody anywhere complaining that their first time purchase didn't download the content. Not on Steam, not on the BGS Discord, and not even on reddit. All 3 places would be humming with angry consumers if this was the normal random outcome.

I did get the AE update (although, I thought that I had it set to not update as I was in a playthrough at that time), and had purchased the Creation Club package as well.

Steam gave me the update anyway so, I lost the game (it wouldn't even make it to the title screen) and the playthrough. It took a clean install for the game to work again.

As soon as I started the game, it started the download and I received all 148 files, whether I wanted them or not. (Thank goodness for Darkfox127's Creation Club content picker tool).

Such is the randomness of my little piece of the universe.  Now, back to the game.

Just fyi.  I installed the game from scratch on my new machine.  Events proceeded as I described at the OP, and the results were the same.