Removing a dummy plugin, is it safe?

PegasusKoga

Can't think of a better place to ask, this place is like the Library of Alexandria of modding.

I already had help from some very friendly folks over at Reddit about the subject but i'm excessively paranoid when it comes to the stability of my games so i'm checking different sources.

I'll try to keep it short.

For the longest time i used a mod i created to slightly heighten the pitch of my characters voice, using dummy plugins to load the BA2's with the assets.  Because of changes to Fallout 4 this method has become redundant.  I can no longer get this to work with the dlc's specifically.

Fortunately, i found an alternative: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/56605?tab=description&BH=0so, that part is covered.  What i would like to know however is whether it's safe to remove my mod and it's plugins from an existing save since they now have become obsolete.  Those plugins are empty, contain no data, and their sole purpose was to load the audio assets in the BA2 files.  But since it's anathema to remove mods in an existing game i wanted to have confirmation that my specific case is the exception to the rule before i do anything drastic and ruin a play through that was perfectly stable up until now.

Thanks in advance.

Except for a very few exceptions, it is never safe to remove mods from an ongoing game - you would have to either roll back to a save made before the mod was installed, or, if none is available, start a new game (or, of course, just keep the mod installed - not an option if the mods is causing issues, but best to do if it is not causing any problems).  For complete information on this (including the exceptions), see the following: You CANNOT Remove Mods Mid-Playthrough.  Though written for Skyrim, the same applies to FO4.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smr1957 said:

Except for a very few exceptions, it is never safe to remove mods from an ongoing game - you would have to either roll back to a save made before the mod was installed, or, if none is available, start a new game (or, of course, just keep the mod installed - not an option if the mods is causing issues, but best to do if it is not causing any problems).  For complete information on this (including the exceptions), see the following: You CANNOT Remove Mods Mid-Playthrough.  Though written for Skyrim, the same applies to FO4.

Thank for the reply, that's what i was afraid of.

Although i managed to circumvent the issue by only removing the ba2's containing the audio files and keeping the plugins.  Because those esp's are empty and don't really require those ba2's, i managed to get rid of my mod without endangering the stability of my saves.

27 minutes ago, PegasusKoga said:

Thank for the reply, that's what i was afraid of.

Although i managed to circumvent the issue by only removing the ba2's containing the audio files and keeping the plugins.  Because those esp's are empty and don't really require those ba2's, i managed to get rid of my mod without endangering the stability of my saves.

It is not just the plugins, it is all the files of a mod and what those files may contain.  Things get baked into the save, even if they are not plugins.  Except for pure texture/mesh mods, or those that use purely vanilla assets or spawns, it is not safe to remove any mod or mod files - you cannot just remove one part of a mod and leave another.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, smr1957 said:

It is not just the plugins, it is all the files of a mod and what those files may contain.  Things get baked into the save, even if they are not plugins.  Except for pure texture/mesh mods, or those that use purely vanilla assets or spawns, it is not safe to remove any mod or mod files - you cannot just remove one part of a mod and leave another.

I'm not questioning your expertise, far from it, i hope i'm not giving that impression.

But since those ba2 files that i removed contained the vanilla player voices (completely identical to the vanilla assets although with a slightly different pitch) wouldn't my plugins revert back to using the vanilla voice files?  Which means that as far as my saves are concerned nothing has really changed?

10 minutes ago, PegasusKoga said:

I'm not questioning your expertise, far from it, i hope i'm not giving that impression.

But since those ba2 files that i removed contained the vanilla player voices (completely identical to the vanilla assets although with a slightly different pitch) wouldn't my plugins revert back to using the vanilla voice files?  Which means that as far as my saves are concerned nothing has really changed?

If they are just the vanilla assets, then yes, the caveat of being able to remove mods that are vanilla assets and spawns does apply, and there should not be an issue - it wasn't clear that they were actual vanilla assets in your original post. (Picture in my head now of textures overlying base textures - but with pitch overlying the base pitch.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, smr1957 said:

If they are just the vanilla assets, then yes, the caveat of being able to remove vanilla assets and spawns does apply, and there should not be an issue - it wasn't clear that they were actual vanilla assets in your post.

Yeah, i thought it might be something like that.  Next time i'll try to be more informative when i need to troubleshoot.

Anyway, thank you very kindly for your help, i can consider this particular question answered.  Have a great day! :)