The new AE homes

LeBurns

Personally, over 8 years I'd never built the Hearthfire homes. But Covid came along, and yet another person asked for Touring Hearthfire carriages. So I've had to build at least part of the homes, just to test the carriage code.

The one that I've found most useful in game is Windstad. The fish hatchery, greenhouse, kitchen, alchemy tower combination. And it makes sleeping in the middle of exploring Ustengrav and defeating the pirates much better than using the Abandoned Shack.

Also, I've never needed more than one library. Even carting every book that I've found to Lakeview (where I'd built the library). I've not come close to filling it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DayDreamer said:

Also, I've never needed more than one library. Even carting every book that I've found to Lakeview (where I'd built the library). I've not come close to filling it.

Greetings friend:wave:

I agree.  I had difficulty filling the vast number of bookshelves in my vast collection or many various custom home mods.  The bookshelves in the hearthfire library add on glitched out, even spitting books out onto the floor.  So, I stopped building it.  Instead, I have several homes with extensive libraries that I have need to fill as I'm not fond of empty shelves.  It is time consuming and expensive to wrangle up enough books collecting in game and purchasing extra spell tomes from mage vendors.  Therefore, I have taken to using the player.placeatme command with the ID for all spell tomes.  It delivers a small Dwemer style chest at your heels with a copy of every spell in the game.  You'll know it worked because the chest will actually push your character forward a few inches when you exit the command prompt section.  There is an ID for all books as well but there are a bunch of letters and notes in there, even some cut content and quest items, that need sorted out as they can mess with your game.  Also, many of those volumes are large and thick which can lead to issues if too many of them occupy a single shelf... they just don't fit well, even glitch.  Thus, my preference of the all spell tomes chest. 

The all spell tome chest ID is unique to your LO for SSE.  Therefore, it is a two step process...

1) Search for the "all spell" ID.  Open the console command field by pressing tilde ~ or ` (either works) it's the key just below the esc or escape key, top left corner of your kb.  Tilde is the on/off switch for command mode and works even if you use a controller on PC like I do.  When using this search for a single word criteria you need not employ the quotes yet when using a multiple word search criteria you do need to use "quotes".  So, for the all spell search you enter this...

help "all spell"

And, press enter.  You will get a listing with the name of what you found and the ID that is specific to your game to insert in the command code.  The ID is always 8 characters in length.  Any leading zeros can be omitted.  Like the command to add more gold to your inventory;

player.additem 0000000f 555

can be shortened to;

player.additem f 555

Both options work fine.  Leaving off the leading zeros just saves you a few keystrokes.  Also, you may use the help search above to find any item in your game then player.additem to add one or more to your inventory.  I use it in place of needing a mod like Add Item Menu to summon outfits and weapons that do not have crafting options.  These item command types are always in three parts, the command, player.additem, player.placeatme, etc... then the 8 character ID and the last part is the desired quantity with a single space in between each part.  So, the cash adding code above adds five hundred fifty five gold septims to your inventory as typed.  You can enter any amount you wish.  Just be wary of larger numbers.  Going too large for your system specs can cause lag, even freeze frame or even ctd.  If you want a huge pile of gold, it's best to use the command multiple times with smaller amounts.  Anyway... I digress...

2)  To get the spell tomes chest you do the same steps to search using help "all spell" to get the ID, then enter this...

player.placeatme xx0038b5 1

That is actually the ID for one copy of Stendarr's Aura spell tome.  But, I used it to illustrate my point.  You'll notice the first two characters are XX which represents the position of the Dawnguard DLC in your game's LO.  Everyone will have a different placement based on your own LO so that is why I cannot give you the exact ID you need because "all spell tomes" has DLC tomes in addition to base game vanilla tomes.  So, you have to use the help search to find the ID specific to your game.  But, once you've done this process a few times it moves rather briskly. :)   There are other ways to find the ID, like looking up the base ID with the XX up front online then scrolling your LO to find where it is in your LO.  But, that is laborious and time consuming.  So, just use the help search to find the ID needed in quick and easy fashion.:unworthy:

Now... you've summoned up your chest containing all spell tomes to fill your shelves... So... what to do with the empty container that spawned at your feet?  Hmmm... can't just leave it there... Inigo will trip on that!  Hahaha:lmao:  

First thing before removing the chest is to make a save.  This save will protect your game in the event that you accidentally remove the wrong item.  Yes, I've done that... more than once.  But, just reload the save if that happens and try again.  

With the item you wish to remove in view, open the command console again with tilde ~ or ` and click on the item you want to disable.  I usually click it multiple times to select, deselect and select again to ensure I'm selecting correctly.  Otherwise, you might disable the carpet... or a wall... or the fireplace... or your favorite follower... or... well... you get the idea... :lmao: Anyway... once you have saved, opened command console and clicked on the item to be disabled, type this...

disable

And, press enter.  The selected item will vanish and you can then repeat the player.placeatme command as many times as needed to fill your library.  The spell tomes are a colorful way to fill your libraries.  I still place my found books in my libraries as well.  But, masses of spell tomes are my favorite way to fill them fully.  Some of my homes have rather expansive libraries that require two or three copies of every book in game to fill.  So, I summon spell tomes.  Yes, this is officially a cheat.  Adella would not approve!  Hahaha:lmao: :rofl: Humble apologies to my beloved angel.:wub::hug:  She knows her Phat cheats...:redface::facepalm:

Is this method for everyone?  Certainly not.  However, I included this today just to show that there are other ways than collecting all the books to fill your libraries because if, like me, you end up owning most of the vanilla homes you'll run out of books long before you run out of shelves.  Sure, you can chase down more spell tomes from mage vendors, a variety of books from general merchants and hit Urag for more books as well.  But, that is a long, boring slog.  I have better things to do with my gameplay time like becoming a bard, defeating Alduin, killing Harkon, assassinating the Emperor and ending Miraak... or just hanging out in one of my homes or a local inn with Inigo.:wub::hug:  With all of my custom home mods installed I easily need a few thousand volumes to fill all my shelves.  Admittedly, I have some extensive plays... some going for hundreds of gameplay hours each.  But, it's still a daunting task to fill all those shelves via vanilla means.  So yes, Phat cheats.:redface:  With homes like Mirele Bismath, Peregrine Highwatch, Riverside Lodge, Lakeside Riften Manor and some others with expansive libraries, I have to cheat in sufficient volumes to fill all the shelves. 

I hope this helps some of you.:run:

Adventure ever on dear friends, Phat:blackhand:

• Like 2

The two homes I use the most in Skyrim are vanilla Breeze home and Lakeview manor. I have found after years of Bethesda games that all I want from a home is a bed, alchemy and enchanting stations + lots of different chests/storage to store my loot.

My favorite room in Lakeview is the cellar. Because it has so many different storage chests/safes. Each one holds something different. Soul gems are always stored in the first safe. Gems in the second.etc.. It hasn't changed much since Hearth fire released. (Before Hearthfire, all my loot was divided up in the different chests/cabinets in breezehome.)

The only time I built a custom home was in a Dwemer ruin in Morrowind near the Telvanni stronghold.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Fenrus said:

The two homes I use the most in Skyrim are vanilla Breeze home and Lakeview manor. I have found after years of Bethesda games that all I want from a home is a bed, alchemy and enchanting stations + lots of different chests/storage to store my loot.

My favorite room in Lakeview is the cellar. Because it has so many different storage chests/safes. Each one holds something different. Soul gems are always stored in the first safe. Gems in the second.etc.. It hasn't changed much since Hearth fire released. (Before Hearthfire, all my loot was divided up in the different chests/cabinets in breezehome.)

The only time I built a custom home was in a Dwemer ruin in Morrowind near the Telvanni stronghold.

Breeze Home and Lakeview are my favs also.  For Lakeview I generally add the armory, storage and bedroom wings just so I can have a wrap-around porch on the outside.  I actually don't build the cellar that often anymore as it just seems like more space than I need.  The shrine base is about the only thing I like about it and it's not necessary.

• Like 3

What you do for Lakeview, LeBurns, is exactly what I do for Heljarchen Hall - which is my hunting lodge (though I do build the cellar - I use Hearthfire Extended, for that) - love the wraparound porch look!  Except, I keep the storage unfurnished and instead use it as a trophy room, using my personal port of the mod Craftable Trophies - Campfire Addon to place the trophies I want, in it.  As for Lakeview, I use two mods: Lakeview Manor - As it Should Be and Lakeview Pool and Hot Bath EX for Hearthfire SSE - and that is my main home in the south central part of Skyrim - as well as being one of my favorites.

Here are a couple of exterior shots of Heljarchen Hall as I have it set up - from Oldrim as I have no pics of it yet from SSE - and, of course, with a bunch of mod added features (which are all present is the SSE version of my lodge):

Heljarchen Hall  - South side (front).jpg

Heljarchen Hall  - North side (back).jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, smr1957 said:

What you do for Lakeview, LeBurns, is exactly what I do for Heljarchen Hall - which is my hunting lodge (though I do build the cellar - I use Hearthfire Extended, for that) - love the wraparound porch look!  Except, I keep the storage unfurnished and instead use it as a trophy room, using my personal port of the mod Craftable Trophies - Campfire Addon to place the trophies I want, in it.  As for Lakeview, I use two mods: Lakeview Manor - As it Should Be and Lakeview Pool and Hot Bath EX for Hearthfire SSE - and that is my main home in the south central part of Skyrim - as well as being one of my favorites.

I have recently seen that if you plan on adding the aquarium from the Fishing mod you need the cellar as it goes in there.  Still not sure that's worth it, and I certainly do not see the point of fishing in Skyrim.  I've done it, and I do carry a fishing pole around, but I've no idea why it's a thing.  I might do the quest out of curiosity at some point.

2 hours ago, LeBurns said:

I've no idea why it's a thing. 

From a roleplay perspective, we might want to play as a fisherman, or play a character who enjoys fishing in order to relax after intense adventures.  From a gameplay perspective, there are unique items, such as weapons and enchanted jewelry, that can only be obtained by fishing. 

1 hour ago, LeBurns said:

I have recently seen that if you plan on adding the aquarium from the Fishing mod you need the cellar as it goes in there.  Still not sure that's worth it, and I certainly do not see the point of fishing in Skyrim.  I've done it, and I do carry a fishing pole around, but I've no idea why it's a thing.  I might do the quest out of curiosity at some point.

Maybe not for the actual fishing, but for the fish.  Jump in to any lake/stream/waterway/ocean and look about.  Odds are you will find a new kind of fish which is either food or ingredient.  Even in Blackreach there is new fish to be found.  Discovering new species is fin ... er ... fun.  

On 12/17/2021 at 12:04 AM, LeBurns said:

I do carry a fishing pole around, but I've no idea why it's a thing. 

I guess it is a copy of the fishing mini games in Terraria and Stardew Valley.

I've tried some modded homes, but in the end I've always used the Hearthfire-homes with Jaxonz Positioner for removing things and placing items I've collected.

Hearthfire seems like a proof-of-concept and FO4's settlements a beta-version of home building.

On 12/16/2021 at 6:04 PM, LeBurns said:

Me years ago, while playing Morrowind: "Oh man, I wish fishing was a thing"

Me now, when fishing is a thing: *completely ignores it*

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2021 at 6:00 PM, phatbassanchor said:

There's a build your own home in Dawnstar you might enjoy as well.  I'll get the name and link from Febrith Darkstar when next we speak.  It's a hearthfire style build with additional options and a quest to earn the place.  Just can't remember what it's called at the moment.  Will get back on that one...

Adventure even on brother, Phat:blackhand:

Found it!:beer: 

Morskom Estate:  https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/33408

Build your own hearthfire style home with a short quest attached.  I haven't yet tried it myself but my dear friend Febrith Darkstar raves over it... 

Enjoy!:wub:  Adventure on dear friends, Phat:blackhand:

34 minutes ago, phatbassanchor said:

Morskom Estate

I remember this.  I used it in a couple of games back in 2015.  It sounds weird but like to install house mods I'm never going to use in order to make towns look a little bigger (I currently have four of them in Riverwood, lol) and this was a great-looking house that added some really nice atmosphere to Dawnstar.  I'm very impressed that the author rebuilt the old mod from scratch for Special Edition.  That's dedication!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pseron Wyrd said:

I'm very impressed that the author rebuilt the old mod from scratch for Special Edition.  That's dedication!  

Me too, PW my friend!:highfive:    This is one that I have been meaning to test for myself but have yet to try.  I've seen several videos of both the old and current update versions and it is impressive.  Not a fan of the organ, personally... But, you don't have to play it, right?  Hahahahahaha:lmao:  Feb made it part of her top five build your own home mods last year shortly after the latest update published.  The link in my message above is to her review/demo of the whole mod, latest version.  Like I said... pretty impressive! :)

Adventure ever on dear friend, Phat:blackhand:

• 2 months later...

Have to agree with LeBurns on the OP. If my Imperial - who is the most cookie-cutter knight ever - moves into quaint Tundra Homestead, he will do so because of the desk that sits just nicely in the main hallway that will allow him to carry out his studies when not out travelling. He will do so because of the shrine to Akatosh that sits on the shelf above his bed that allows him to pray on a crisp morning and the coldest eve.

Does this mean he is going to turn his back on his ideals just so he can get Chillrend? Or shirk his knightly duties so he can collect bugs in a jar? No.

I really like the AE homes - a home fit for any archetype, well detailed and unique in their one way… but I feel that the storage / displays areas should not have been item-specific. It would have added more freedom, to make the home, well, a home…

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2021 at 9:44 PM, LeBurns said:

what homes do you guys/gals use?  Modded, Hearthfire, or vanilla?  What do you like or what bugs you about certain ones?  Mainly looking for feedback here to decide what to do next about a home (Lydia can only carry so much...).

Modded vanilla if that makes sense. I'm not a fan of hearthfires houses (too much empty space rather unexciting and not easily moddable). The only mod house I regularly use is the Field Lab because of its novelty - its portable you can summon it anywhere there is space for it (I've even had in inside a dwarven city)

• 5 months later...

Just came across this topic and discovered that it wasn’t about the new homes at all. 

If you like building your own, but don’t want another identical Hearthfires home in a different location, my “build your own” series is available again at http://ghastley.org/TESMods/ where you can make an Orc Stronghold, a Bosmer cave, an Argonian home with an underwater entrance, a Khajiit mobile home with a workshop to maintain it, a Nordic tower suitable for a Dremora and house carl, or someone who wants a Dremora house carl, or both. There are instructions on how to build your own “build your own” home, too.

The mods were all on the Nexus in the past, but I pulled them off about the same time Arthmoor did, for much the same reasons. There are others in progress, such as a Forsworn redoubt that I’ve just started. The latest piece, a small mod to make your own glass and straw, was first seen here. I will post the WIPs here as soon as there’s anything playable, too.