The new AE homes

LeBurns

Well my last two toons have been checking out all the new homes that AE gives you.  And I'll be honest I think I'll just end up building one again using Hearthfire.

While the homes look great, they are all just way overdone as far as furnishings.  No way I could ever call this my home until I spend hours removing every loose object out of the place and placing my own items.  The extra displays for the claws, masks, etc. are nice, but I've never, and never will, have a character that collects all those things.  Maybe my 50+ characters together have gotten everything, but never just one toon.  Which in the end just leaves a lot of empty display space.

So that got me thinking again what I do and don't like about the Hearthfire homes.  Honestly overall I like the homes but a couple issues I do have.  One is the limitation of what to build where for the extra wings.  Instead of giving you nine things you can build, they give you three you can build in each wing, and if two things you want are in the same wing ... well tough luck you only get one of them.  That's a big issue.  The other is the lack of book selves.  If you do not get the library wing there's literally no where to put books (other than in chest).  Heck even the house in Whiterun has a book self, two if you add the Alchemy section.  But while Hearthfire homes have some shelves, none are the ones that will allow you to stack books in them.  The last issue I have is the homes having a forge in the cellar.  You don't have to be a genius to know what kind of fire hazard that would be, but easy enough to avoid by just never building it.

So what homes do you guys/gals use?  Modded, Hearthfire, or vanilla?  What do you like or what bugs you about certain ones?  Mainly looking for feedback here to decide what to do next about a home (Lydia can only carry so much...).

• Like 3

This is a really good, thought provoking question.

I haven't played enough different characters to give a sensible answer, I built a home one time in Hearthfire. I will note that another problem with those comes is that you can build a bunch of different funishings but the only option you have are "build it or don't". Some basic stuff like being able to choose which trophy heads to hang where etc. would have been really great. Alas.

In fairness, Bethesda clearly recognise the issue which is why you have the settlement system in FO4. Hopefully TES6 incorporates a version of that.

• Like 1

I typically make my own.  I've been doing it since Morrowind and by now it's almost second nature.  The process of designing and building a home has become an essential part of character creation for me.  Designing a home that reflects something essential about a character forces me to clarify who that character is.  By the time I have finished building the house I have a much better idea of where the character came from, who the character is, why they are the way they are at the start of a game, and what their goals might be during the game.

But I do have a few player houses made by others I've liked over the years.  Deus Mons is a very dramatic, atmospheric castle for a mage, particularly for a darker character. 

Princess Solitude Barnacle Cottage is a mod that Princess Stomper graciously made for my birthday a few years ago.  It features a back door that exits into Skyrim and stairs that snake down the side of the rock to the docks below.  A sentimental favorite of mine. 

The only player house in the base game I've ever used is Vlindrel Hall.  I really like the elevation, the way you can look down on the town below (also I love anything Dwemer).  I've never used any of the Hearthfire houses.  I should get around to that someday.  

• Like 1

After all these years i must admit i have never yet built a Hearthfire home. This thread makes me think it might be time i try that DLC. :)

• Like 1

I have built all of the Hearthfire homes simply to overcome one of the problems you raise, that of lack of choice, or perhaps flexibility is the word but even doing that doesn't really solve the problem.

A good idea by Bethesda but not really developed properly or fully, I mean from the outset you get a choice of 3 geographical locations, come on! in the whole of Skyrim! 

Then you basically get a flat pack with little variety which also pretty much determines what is inside, I realise of course that follows the pattern of what happens in the base game with player homes and outfitting.

Probably Beth decided that there were other more poplar options to develop and improve (did they really do that though) perhaps along the lines of it not intended to be a house building game at heart.

Someone mentioned Fallout and perhaps (hopefully) Beth will see that as the way forward in some form, though its to be hoped they also the learn the lesson of what did not work so well either.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, XRAT said:

SNIP

Someone mentioned Fallout and perhaps (hopefully) Beth will see that as the way forward in some form, though its to be hoped they also the learn the lesson of what did not work so well either.

The biggest issue I have with Fallout is the magic it takes to do that kind of building.  I either have to assume my character has some kind of magic that allows them to turn a couple cinder blocks into a 2 ton cement slap that they can just place anywhere without any heavy equipment to help, or I assume that what I'm building was already there and the work I'm doing to make it really isn't happening and my character will stumble upon the place once I've finished making it. (don't get me started on using some electronic scraps to make a unlimited ammo automated machine gun).  FO4 really fell into the magic well when they let you start building Vaults with your bare hands.  Something that took hundreds of workers using heavy equipment months or years to make I'm slapping together in minutes with my magic hands.  Groin...  Anyway, again the only way my mind can even allow that type of FUBAR logic is to assume that what I'm building is actually something I found that was made by someone else a long time ago.

But that's issues with the construction of the places themselves, not their usefulness after they are in place.  Granted being able to build a place from scratch can allow you to have EXACTLY what you want and where.  The issue I have obviously is how the building got there to begin with.  Give me the building freedom of FO4, plus a logical way that it happens, and I'd be all over that.

• Like 2

Funny you should say that, LeBurns, about building in FO4 - I almost never build complicated things - I have a world of wooden shacks!  But then, I am not into the building/settlement aspect of FO4 at all - it is just a simple run around shoot 'em up game for me when I take a break from Skyrim.

As for Skyrim, I do not know about the added AE content so can't comment.  For me, in my game, I see homes as things that were already present - and have just been abandoned due to the ongoing circumstances.  I build the Hearthfire homes - but only because you have to build them to have them - and for two of them I use mods that change them, so they are drastically different.  For the third Hearthfire home that is not overall changed, I do have some mods that change parts of the house - and then there are just things I modified myself to fit what I want.  The main type of modded homes I have installed are on the order of mostly smaller ones - with some medium size and only 2 or 3 larger ones - mostly, I have them as a place to give to followers in my game - or stop off places while traveling.  But while there are some homes I consider core homes for my character, there are none that he actually occupies as a full time home - they are just the places he always stays at when he is in that particular given area.

Yes smr take all your points I suppose I am similar, I neve feel I have a base just use them as sleeping and storage without any particular affinity with them but that could be down to the fact Ii haven't found one that feels like a home, or not, hard to say.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smr1957 said:

Funny you should say that, LeBurns, about building in FO4 - I almost never build complicated things - I have a world of wooden shacks!  But then, I am not into the building/settlement aspect of FO4 at all - it is just a simple run around shoot 'em up game for me when I take a break from Skyrim.

As for Skyrim, I do not know about the added AE content so can't comment.  For me, in my game, I see homes as things that were already present - and have just been abandoned due to the ongoing circumstances.  I build the Hearthfire homes - but only because you have to build them to have them - and for two of them I use mods that change them, so they are drastically different.  For the third Hearthfire home that is not overall changed, I do have some mods that change parts of the house - and then there are just things I modified myself to fit what I want.  The main type of modded homes I have installed are on the order of mostly smaller ones - with some medium size and only 2 or 3 larger ones - mostly, I have them as a place to give to followers in my game - or stop off places while traveling.  But while there are some homes I consider core homes for my character, there are none that he actually occupies as a full time home - they are just the places he always stays at when he is in that particular given area.

Yes well I personally never bought FO4 to play a town building simulator.  It can be one, and it seems half the stuff they added to the game are specifically for that purpose, but it's not why I bought FO4.  I also got to the point where I would just slap together junk that I figured in reality I would have been able to do.  Exception to this was a cement home I made at the airport post MQ when I was in the BoS.  Their I assumed the BoS, with their manpower and equipment, help with building the home.

Back to Skyrim though.  I checked for homes in Beth.net and that's a complete waste of time.  500+ options for PC, and nearly none of those mods listed actually had a house.  Seems any mod that in any way shape or form have you walk into something that could be called a house, got the Home tag.  Worthless.

My toon has started the Lakeview home, but only the base house and entry way.  Haven't added anything else yet as I'm still looking for mods for the Hearthfire homes that may help.  But dang I can't find any.

• Like 3

Funny thing what people like and don't like about homes/houses.  One reason I never went into real estate. 

I was never fond of any of the homes in Skyrim.  They are either too small/have too much stuff crammed in.  Or they feel incomplete/empty.  The home in Solstien is the closest I have come to one I like, but it is so far off the beaten path. 

As for the Hearthfire houses, they are too constrained.  What if I want a bedroom and a greenhouse?  Or a kitchen and a library?  Not real user friendly on the options. 

On storage, a few mannequins, a couple weapon racks, a wardrobe, a dresser and a chest, and I am good to go.  I did a play-through where I collected unique weapons and armor and masks and deadric items, and by the time I decided to retire that character, I had forgotten what half that detritus was. 

So, I am a fan of simple.  Four wall, a door that locks and a roof that doesn't leak.  The furnishings are already listed.

• Like 2

On 12/12/2021 at 5:45 PM, Pseron Wyrd said:

I typically make my own.

I would very much enjoy doing that.  Nicoroshi will be teaching me the tools very soon.  Everything is starting to come together for that to happen.  I will start with editing existing mods before moving on to more advanced things.  But, my mod interests are very similar to the mods I use, followers, npc replacerts, armor/apparel and, eventually, player homes. 

As for my immense collection of existing player home mods, it may be easier to list a few choice authors rather than enumerate fifty plus mods... Hahaha:rofl:  My favorite Skyrim homes come from folks like; DovahkiinaThay, JohnnyQuest101, SkyrimLazz, ToppDog, Lupus78, Kreiman & Lieryn, SkyrimBoohoo, SA547, HaimProjects, Amilovescake, K13RAN64, Mentha, BocaJeff and few others that I've tried and liked.  I ran 12-20 custom home mods each play on the laptop.  Moving to the new tower, I'll likely end up with fifty.  Will be attempting to hold that figure to thirty though.  Hahaha:rofl:  We'll see how well I do there... 

LeBurns, dear friend, if memory serves, you are playing on Xbox.  The only Xbox home mod that I know is there and is an amazing place is Peregrine Highwatch by SA547.  It's rather expansive with full crafting, massive amounts of book shelves and additional book storage, two in ground swimming pools with one indoor and the other outdoor, decks, greenhouse, private oasis (key in the cabinets off to the right/south of the fireplace by which you are greeted upon entering the front door of the main floor) and extensive chambers, tunnels, even Dwemer ruins to be discovered underneath the lower levels of the home.  You are safe in the home which includes the basement full of mushrooms and a few ore veins.  Yet, there are cavernous depths for you to explore as well.  Be ready for a fight if you traverse below the basement.  No spoilers except to say that your adventure continues on through the various tunnels and chambers until you reach the other end of the Throat of the World where you are dropped back into Skyrim nearby the Alchemist's Shack.:unworthy:  I've made it all the way through there a few times.  But, I mostly just enjoy the home.  It also has a kid's room with six beds and enough beds on the first level below the main floor for five or six followers with a second kitchen and dining by their rooms just for them.  The crafting, main library, bar and lounge are all in one extra large room just past the followers quarters.  The indoor pool is just below that.  From the pool deck floor you can access the basement which also has an entrance to the greenhouse deck out front as well as another entrance to the adventures of the undercroft... enter at your own risk.:blackhand: 

Peregrine Highwatch by SA547 for Xbone... https://bethesda.net/en/mods/skyrim/mod-detail/4111707  and for SSE on PC... https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/20637

However, I just took a quick look at bethnet and found that out of all my homes, the one I honesty think that you would enjoy the most is available on Xbox as well...  Riverside Lodge by Lupus78:wub:  On bethnet for Xbone...  https://bethesda.net/en/mods/skyrim/mod-detail/4185600  and for SSE on PC too...  https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/9567

Riverside Lodge has a full list of amenities but only two beds besides the double in the master upstairs for the player.  Those two extra beds can either be for children or followers, your choice but that's all.  This home shines in other areas like your choice of extra armory or library space and an extended armory or a lobby in the lower level entryway.  It has enough bookshelves to store one of every book in game... I usually just fill them with spell tomes for color. :)  There is a fireplace and seating areas in the library with an alcove at the end housing alchemy and enchanting nooks to either corner bookending a full sized statue of Talos with corresponding shrine at the base.  Tons of storage with auto-sorting options that can be turned on or off in the book by the front door upstairs that leads to the full kitchen.  The forge is to die for amazing and features the full compliment of blacksmithing stations, even a smelter.  Loads of displays with any of the four possible ways to set up the lower level, a plantable gardern, hot tub, sauna, picnic area and an outhouse round out the external amenities.  In short, I love this home!:wub:  There are several more in the same class as these two, those I refuse to play without but these are both amazing mods and among my most cherished toys in game. :)  

There were two key mods that caught my attention and drew me to modding Skyrim even when I was still playing on console...  Bijin's Lydia and the Asteria by MattCM919.  Unfortunately, I was unable to locate a copy of the Asteria Dwemer Airship player home on bethnet.  However, thanks to MattCM919's generosity to provide permissions and the amazing talent and effort of JohnnyQuest101 the Asteria now floats above my lovely lake Ilinalta in SSE as well.  JQ did a wonderful port that also added in some new features and decor without spoiling or changing the original design.  So, she's the new and improved Asteria in SSE.  Huzzah!:run:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/22867

I hope this helps you, LeBurns, my brother.  Adventure ever on, Phat:wub:

• Like 2

Hmmm, I echo the comments re: Hearthfire homes.  I do build Lakeview because it is a canon method to produce bulk ingredients for potion making and thus coin…which is difficult to come by early on, if you have to rely on bandit kills for income huh!

Secondly….The inconvenience of having to fund the build is an advantage to anyone who wants their game progress to feel earned.  By the same rationale as you must painstakingly build your skills….so too your home.  This is my issue with mod homes which simply spawn in complete with luxury fittings…it leaves nothing to aspire to.

Even worse for my challenge based game play ethos…most mod homes come with far more advantages than you could expect in the vanilla game.  This means your capability to survive the rigours of Skyrim might have depended to some extent upon the freebie extras that spawned in with your added player home….rather than say being how good you are as a player.

I will say a simplistic Quaker type easy place to obtain is the abandoned worker residence at Mixwater Mill in Eastmarch Hold.  You get a bed, chest, chair and clutter…a good early starter ‘home’ or rather, squat ! That is canon, and not over done.  It would benefit from the ability to get the fire going and some simple lighting.  Really…by rights…one should also pay the mill owner woman (who’s name escapes me) a modest rent hmmm!

Its only draw back is outside, at low levels (on Legendary ‘natch) you are practically surrounded by lethal wildlife and bad people…so caution is the watchword there!

Where am I going with this…um’….Oh yes! What I would like is the ability to make more Hearthfire homes, but with far better customisability and more locations.

Time for tea!

A.

2 hours ago, Adella said:

Hmmm, I echo the comments re: Hearthfire homes.  I do build Lakeview because it is a canon method to produce bulk ingredients for potion making and thus coin…which is difficult to come by early on, if you have to rely on bandit kills for income huh!

Secondly….The inconvenience of having to fund the build is an advantage to anyone who wants their game progress to feel earned.  By the same rationale as you must painstakingly build your skills….so too your home.  This is my issue with mod homes which simply spawn in complete with luxury fittings…it leaves nothing to aspire to.

Even worse for my challenge based game play ethos…most mod homes come with far more advantages than you could expect in the vanilla game.  This means your capability to survive the rigours of Skyrim might have depended to some extent upon the freebie extras that spawned in with your added player home….rather than say being how good you are as a player.

I will say a simplistic Quaker type easy place to obtain is the abandoned worker residence at Mixwater Mill in Eastmarch Hold.  You get a bed, chest, chair and clutter…a good early starter ‘home’ or rather, squat ! That is canon, and not over done.  It would benefit from the ability to get the fire going and some simple lighting.  Really…by rights…one should also pay the mill owner woman (who’s name escapes me) a modest rent hmmm!

Its only draw back is outside, at low levels (on Legendary ‘natch) you are practically surrounded by lethal wildlife and bad people…so caution is the watchword there!

Where am I going with this…um’….Oh yes! What I would like is the ability to make more Hearthfire homes, but with far better customisability and more locations.

Time for tea!

A.

If this mod is available on your platform you are set.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/61752

• Like 2

Not sure why people keep thinking I'm on XBox.  Never owned an XBox.  Did own a PS and PS2, but never an XBox.  PC is really the only way I play now days.  I do have a switch, but it's mostly gathering dust until the next game that I want comes out (Rune Factory 5).

I would be fine with just what @Adella said, more Hearthfire home design options and locations.  The player homes that require next to nothing to get do seem like cheats when they come all loaded up.  The Hearthfire homes do suffer from the 'insta-build' magic, but if you let your steward furnish it that can take a reasonable and realistic time to furnish.  And they don't come with a lot of high level items just laying around to take.

I will be checking out some of these options listed @phatbassanchor.  Having explored the new Skyrim AE homes with my first two AE characters I'm know now to leave them alone and I'll work towards finding something else.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, smr1957 said:

Of course, if your character is just a wanderer with no set abode, and no wish to own one, there is always Tentapalooza and Campfire - nothing like camping out and living out of a tent!  Which I do quite often as I travel around Skyrim and mod added worldspaces such as the Gray Cowl of Nocturnal

Since I do tend to collect things I need a home for no other reason than to just store stuff.  Sometimes I get Breezehome just to store stuff, have a place to sleep, and the added plus that smithing workstations are right next door.

Sometimes I go all out into making a place of my own.  So it does depend on the character.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, LeBurns said:

Not sure why people keep thinking I'm on XBox.  Never owned an XBox.  Did own a PS and PS2, but never an XBox.  PC is really the only way I play now days.  I do have a switch, but it's mostly gathering dust until the next game that I want comes out (Rune Factory 5).

I would be fine with just what @Adella said, more Hearthfire home design options and locations.  The player homes that require next to nothing to get do seem like cheats when they come all loaded up.  The Hearthfire homes do suffer from the 'insta-build' magic, but if you let your steward furnish it that can take a reasonable and realistic time to furnish.  And they don't come with a lot of high level items just laying around to take.

I will be checking out some of these options listed @phatbassanchor.  Having explored the new Skyrim AE homes with my first two AE characters I'm know now to leave them alone and I'll work towards finding something else.

The mod I recommended to Adella although for old-rim also works in SE as long as you can do a manual install into the games data file, and should work in AE as well although I have not tested it yet. It allows you to build a basic shack, then add as much or as little as you want.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/61752

Here is the link so you can check it out.

• Like 1

@LeBurns here is a link to a video I made for the shack building mod I recommended.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Uncus said:

@LeBurns here is a link to a video I made for the shack building mod I recommended.

Very nice.  A Bosmer or Ranger type would love it.  In fact a toon a recently started may have to give it a go.

PS - you know you sound just like RangerTony, who is someone else I follow on YouTube.

EDIT:  Dang it.  SKSE needed.  :(

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Adella said:

Time for tea!

A.

Canon, schmanon!  Give me the freakin' palace!  Hahaha:rofl:

11 hours ago, LeBurns said:

Not sure why people keep thinking I'm on XBox. 

My bad, brother.  Humble apologies, Phat:blackhand:

On 12/14/2021 at 6:07 AM, LeBurns said:

Have you ever played Helgen Reborn by Mike Hancho?  https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/5673

As you complete the quests in the mod, the townsfolk rebuild Helgen, including the tower where Alduin lands during the intro.  That tower becomes your player home.  It has no financial cost but is earned by completing the quests and thus is still earned.  Other than decorating the trophy caven with the Patsy npc and adorning your displays on the first basement level there is little for customization.  However, I enjoy the home quite a lot and am always pleased when the town presents it to me as a reward for my service.  There's a build your own home in Dawnstar you might enjoy as well.  I'll get the name and link from Febrith Darkstar when next we speak.  It's a hearthfire style build with additional options and a quest to earn the place.  Just can't remember what it's called at the moment.  Will get back on that one...

Adventure even on brother, Phat:blackhand:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, phatbassanchor said:

Have you ever played Helgen Reborn by Mike Hancho?  https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/5673

As you complete the quests in the mod, the townsfolk rebuild Helgen, including the tower where Alduin lands during the intro.  That tower becomes your player home.  It has no financial cost but is earned by completing the quests and thus is still earned.  Other than decorating the trophy caven with the Patsy npc and adorning your displays on the first basement level there is little for customization.  However, I enjoy the home quite a lot and am always pleased when the town presents it to me as a reward for my service.  There's a build your own home in Dawnstar you might enjoy as well.  I'll get the name and link for Febrith Darkstar when next we speak.  It's a hearthfire style build with additional options and a quest to earn the place.  Just can't remember what it's called at the moment.  Will get back on that one...

Adventure even on brother, Phat:blackhand:

Dang.  I'm going to read up on that one.  Looks nice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LeBurns said:

Dang.  I'm going to read up on that one.  Looks nice.

It's a favorite :)

The Helgen home...

The mod play...

Enjoy!  :) Make sure to be prepared for battle before starting.  Adventure on, Phat:blackhand: