Skyrim Anniversary Edition and You

Arthmoor

49 minutes ago, CrunchButtsteak said:

Then don't support it.

We aren't. It's not available. So I think that's probably all that needs to be said. You asking for us to make it available is inherently a request that it be supported, which we've repeatedly said will not happen. We've NEVER provided support for old versions of the patch regardless of the type of game update that was done.

51 minutes ago, CrunchButtsteak said:

but it's unreasonable to expect someone to indefinitely update their mod forever

I'm glad we agree on that, because asking us to keep old versions alive is asking for precisely this. This is unreasonable.

52 minutes ago, CrunchButtsteak said:

since launching the game through SKSE doesn't trigger auto-updates

Except it does, because I've personally seen it do that on more than one occasion. It may not do it right away though, which is why I think people think it never happens. Until they post somewhere wondering why their old and outdated stuff isn't working anymore because "somehow" Steam updated their game. Which is a normal and expected function of the Steam client.

54 minutes ago, CrunchButtsteak said:

Because of you.

Nope. We are not responsible for the choices of other people NOT to update their game, and as we have said numerous times before, it's not something we have the time or the desire to involve ourselves with. Update your game and you'll have no problem. We are not beholden to what other people are doing with their work. Someone deciding to be a thief was always going to decide to be a thief. None of the twisted justifications for piracy ever withstand scrutiny. Don't be one of those people who tries that.

56 minutes ago, CrunchButtsteak said:

Unless the last time they played the game was before SE 1.5.97 of course.

Irrelevant. They're going to need to update either way and then make sensible choices about which mods they choose to install. It's not good practice to base your decisions on things that require unsupported 3rd party libraries.

I can guarantee you right now that if for some odd reason we had decided as a project to stop updating after 1.5.97, there would be 1000 times the number of complaints out there that we had not updated to stay in line with the currently available version of the game.

It's not at all reasonable to expect people to learn the arcane ways of the Steam console just to keep one mod author from having to update their work. Mods become obsolete all the time. We as a community should not be encouraging this behavior. We should be encouraging these mod authors to update their stuff instead. Nothing moves forward by standing still.

59 minutes ago, CrunchButtsteak said:

Unless they want to use one of the many mods that rely on plugins that haven't been updated, of course.

Nobody starting a new game on a first time install of Skyrim should be paying any attention to things made for obsolete copies of the game. They should stick to using current things, and IMO they should start off by playing the game as close to vanilla as possible so they can figure out for themselves what they want to change. They should not be pressured into back-versioning anything for the sake of some corner case.

No other community for a moddable game seriously expects to have support out there for multiple old versions of those games. They all fully expect you to be running on current versions as supplied by the platform it was purchased on. There's even a couple of developers who wrote that language into their EULAs that cover modding.

You are at this point advocating for something that a very small minority of people want, who just happen to be vocal and concentrate themselves into echo chambers where they then perceive themselves to be the entire community. This is not the case. There is no good reason to give these people what they're demanding of us as mod authors.

As a mod user I can understand that if your favourite mod stops working because it needs to be updated to a new game build. However, you should be aware that mod authors do not work for you or owe you anything in the way of updates or support. That many do and often for years is for you a happy accident not a right under God or law. Now here is the thing, I believe, and hope Art will correct me if I am wrong, anyone can make a patch for any mod as long as they stipulate their work is a patch and the original mod is credited and not claimed as their own. If this is not so, then I think that it is not unreasonable to request the permission to patch abandoned mods but in no other way alter the original mod. If the permission is either refused or ignored you will unfortunately need to find another mod to use.

10 hours ago, Uncus said:

Now here is the thing, I believe, and hope Art will correct me if I am wrong, anyone can make a patch for any mod as long as they stipulate their work is a patch and the original mod is credited and not claimed as their own.

Unfortunately, no, that's not how it works under the law.

In any case what's being asked is not the ability to patch some random mod to make it work with another. What's being asked is that our team commit support to outdated versions of the game for no useful reason other than to satisfy the 1%.

One thing that does spook some users (like me) from regularly updating the game on limited bandwidth deals is the stumungous file size. This of course can be fixed by better version detection in the installers with the aim of reducing same_file gigabyte shunt which is bound to affect ISP server caching, and sure to add in an extra time and monetary cost to many. Also see:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/why-is-my-internet-connection-so-slow-c68cf021-c5cf-db6f-eade-7c9d8bd78aa1

These Skyrim updates have been relatively small in comparison. The ones I've been getting for Cyberpunk, No Man's Sky, and Elex II have been gargantuan by comparison. With the one for Elex II being a total of 50GB over 2 patched (because they botched one). I think Bethesda has more or less figured out the nuances of differential updating.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Purchased the AE last week as it was on sale not knowing the difference back then to me and modding the game. First attempt at modding following all the guides out there resulted in weird CTD issues. Then I read that was because SKSE address lib not compatible with AE and so I down patched my skyrim AE to SE 1.5.9 and made progress and it felt stable. Now if I am reading this correct installing the USSEP fixes all those problems and you'll get your mods working on 1.6.640??

The catch 22 being some old mods probably will never be updated and may still have issues due to compatibility problems with the mod?

So final question as of November 26th 2022 what is the preferred way to go?

If I got to go back to 1.6.640 all I got to do is reinstall SKSE after having Steam repair the install to latest version correct?

Thanks

Hi all.

What is the likelihood of having a version that is compatible with the GOG flavor of Skyrim Anniversary edition?  They had it on sale for the same amount that the Anniversary upgrade was going for, so I ended up buying the same program for the 3rd time.  Oh joy.

Thanks in advance.

Also wonder with the AE version and using the Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch do we still need:

Address Library for SKSE plugins

SSE Engine Fixes

Bug Fixes for SSE

?

Thanks

On 11/27/2022 at 10:55 AM, davidm71 said:

Also wonder with the AE version and using the Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch do we still need:

Address Library for SKSE plugins

SSE Engine Fixes

Bug Fixes for SSE

SE via Steam is currently 1.6.640.0. Address Library (v8) is working. SSE Engine Fixes was updated promptly (Oct 5). Bug Fixes SSE was updated (Nov 18), although it took awhile. Scrambled Bugs was updated (Nov 19) to match.

Yes, those are the known engine fixes. USSEP does not fix engine bugs.

• 11 months later...

A heads up as far as the executable version goes (Anniversary updates apply to SSE now),

Special Edition = Anniversary Edition = 1.6.640.0

SKSE has current SSE as 1.5.97, an older version which can be confusing, These days that build can only be achieved with the downgrade patcher, not on the planner here at least.

We really need to get the naming of this game codified in some cohesive and understandable way.  So, I am gonna take a swipe at it. 

TL:DR

Anniversary Edition is not the same as Skyrim Special Edition.  Stop using Anniversary Edition when you refer to the game Skyrim Special Edition.  The game is Skyrim Special Edition.  The Anniversary Upgrade is a collection of all the CC DLC.  The Anniversary Edition is a bundle of the game Skyrim Special Edition and the Anniversary Upgrade. 

The STEAM version of this game itself is still Skyrim Special Edition at version 1.6.40.0.8 (actual game snippet follows).  This is the Official and ONLY SUPPORTED STEAM version of the game and can still be purchased on STEAM.

image.thumb.png.e4eb57862f6955790256ca6a3ee95f79.png

According to STEAM, this version of the game was last updated over a year ago (as of this writing) (Steam snippet below).

image.thumb.png.3857c661c68e43d1b9f6e5b3a26c9cce.png

As of the Anniversary date of November 10, 2021, an "Anniversary Upgrade" was available which was a packaging of ALL the CC DLC into a single package.  The Anniversary Upgrade can still be purchased on STEAM.

The "Anniversary Edition" as sold on STEAM is a bundling of the game Skyrim Special Edition and the Anniversary Upgrade.  This package can also be purchased on STEAM and as can be seen in the Snippet below is simply the game Skyrim Special Edition and the Anniversary Upgrade packaged together. 

image.thumb.png.5c6cfb249789425cd1eafd65d153382f.png

The SKSE version for the current STEAM version of SSE is SKSE64 at version 2.2.3 rel 6 (see the game snippet above and the snipped from the Silver Lock SKSE site below). 

image.thumb.png.f7c444431ece955e1b3527ea109fc844.png

Please notice in the Snippet from Silver Lock, "Anniversary Edition" is used incorrectly to describe the GAME and not the packaged bundle.  It's no wonder people get confused. 

_________________________________________________________________________________

NOW, the data on the GoG version of the game is different. 

The game on GoG is Skyrim Special Edition 1.6.659.  I do not have current update information for the game on that platform, but my understanding is that it has no updates and will receive no updates.  It is an encapsulated version of the game.

Also available on GoG is the Anniversary Upgrade, which is as it is on STEAM; a collection of ALL the CC DLC. 

GoG has the Anniversary Edition which is as it is on STEAM, a consolidated release of the game Skyrim Special Edition and the Anniversary Bundle.  The snippet below is how GoG describes the Anniversary Edition.  Note that like STEAM, the Anniversary Edition includes both the game Skyrim Special Edition and the Anniversary Upgrade

image.png.69a0abe865d6a2f850b302a8838f575e.png

The SKSE64 version for the GoG version of the game is still 2.2.3 as can be seen on their website and the snippet below.

image.thumb.png.c5cbdbaadb566c4cafd0e14ff8ac73a9.png

Note that here again, Anniversary Edition is used incorrectly to refer to the game Skyrim Special Edition. 

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Soapbox returned to its original upright and locked position.

It's an absolute schmoz because for SSE in Steam, the updates are entitled "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Anniversary Edition":

Wrt Steam parlance at least, not to be confused with the "Skyrim Anniversary Upgrade."

SSEAnniversary.png

Which only proves that even Steam isn't consistent.  No wonder people are confused and talk at cross purposes.  No one actually knows what "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Anniversary Edition" actually means.

Oh well, I tried. 

Over on the Steam forum we went through this - and this was also spoken about a fair amount here.  The accepted definition is that the game is Skyrim Special Edition - and that is the only version of the game (1.6.640 current version on Steam and Bethesda), and Anniversary Edition refers only to the AE DLC of 70 Creation Club mods bundled together, or as a makeshift term for the Base game when sold as a bundle with the AE DLC.  In fact, this is all explained right in the very first post of this discussion - 

Edited by smr1957

It probably doesn't help much that GoG has two separate store entries. One for "Special Edition" and another for "Anniversary Edition".

The fact remains that BOTH are Special Edition, the second just includes the DLC bundle along with it. Marketing. Marketing never changes.

3 hours ago, smr1957 said:

Over on the Steam forum we went through this - and this was also spoken about a fair amount here.  The accepted definition is that the game is Skyrim Special Edition - and that is the only version of the game (1.6.640 current version on Steam and Bethesda), and Anniversary Edition refers only to the AE DLC of 70 Creation Club mods bundled together, or as a makeshift term for the Base game when sold as a bundle with the AE DLC.  In fact, this is all explained right in the very first post of this discussion - 

2 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

It probably doesn't help much that GoG has two separate store entries. One for "Special Edition" and another for "Anniversary Edition".

The fact remains that BOTH are Special Edition, the second just includes the DLC bundle along with it. Marketing. Marketing never changes.

On their Store Pages, both Steam and GoG describe Skyrim: Special Edition as the game (and nothing more), the Anniversary Upgrade as the packaged 70+ CC DLC items, and Anniversary Edition as the combined package of the game and the Anniversary Upgrade.  If you follow the links you will find the Game, Anniversary Upgrade and Anniversary Edition described as I described in the preceding sentence and in my previous post.  The descriptions of what constitutes Game, Upgrade and Anniversary Edition on these store pages are accurate and correct.  The problem is that Steam/GoG DO NOT carry those names/definitions/descriptions beyond their store pages. 

The propagation of the misnomers is further compounded by "experts" on Steam who formed their understanding without actually having any real knowledge, and then stuck to their flawed understanding in the face of contradictory evidence.  They then pushed their misunderstanding onto unsuspecting readers by continuously using inaccurate nomenclature instead of changing their naming to match reality. 

Furthermore, the product descriptions from these store pages do not match Arthmoor's description either, which is (I am sad to say) not accurate either.

So the first thing we need to do is unlearn our old misunderstandings on what is game or upgrade or Anniversary Edition (yes, our, plural, as my understanding was just as flawed as anyone else).  Then we need to start afresh and start using the same naming and descriptions/meanings as the store pages.   

From Steam:
image.png.468b27f901637d2c020b34b599b0af09.png

From GoG:

image.thumb.png.cf817602f6264804fa476e4d986c8f23.png

Edits underlined and in italics. 

Edited by Scythe Bearer

Beth started this confusion and it has been taken over by Steam, mod authors, etc. It would be more preferable that the SE version would be mentioned and which content of the AE DLC is needed, including of course other requirements. E.g.: my mod Floating Island of Legends requires Skyrim SE (base game incl. the original DLCs DG, HF and DB) and the CC content Umbra and The Cause. Any other requirements would be unused masters.

Post removed, because I give up.  You can lead a horse to water ...

Edited by Scythe Bearer

On 11/4/2023 at 4:03 PM, Scythe Bearer said:

Furthermore, the product descriptions from these store pages do not match Arthmoor's description either, which is (I am sad to say) not accurate either.

You call the information I gave you inaccurate and then proceed to post a pic verifying exactly what I said. I'm at a loss to explain where your disconnect is.

2 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

You call the information I gave you inaccurate and then proceed to post a pic verifying exactly what I said. I'm at a loss to explain where your disconnect is.

Had you done as I suggested earlier and followed the links, you would see that there is no disconnect.  Now, being as I am a nice guy, I will follow the links for you and show you the difference on the actual store pages. 

Steam; Skyrim: Special Edition

image.thumb.png.988018449bcbc101dbedd5e1a4bc1d5f.png

Steam; Skyrim: Anniversary Upgrade

image.thumb.png.03a2b35eb6b60e21ae1b34acb7f69405.png

Steam; Skyrim: Anniversary Edition

image.thumb.png.f4a1bb9f01ff8ebd84512782c1580215.png

As you can see, Steam lists both products because it sells both products.  However, when you bother to look below the superficial search results, you can see the two are in fact different products with different contents. 

So I stand my my statement.  "Furthermore, the product descriptions from these store pages do not match Arthmoor's description either, which is (I am sad to say) not accurate either. "

I never said anything about the stuff on Steam though. I specifically called out GoG. You're quick to jump on others for not reading what was said, so maybe take your own advice this time and go back and look at what I actually wrote?

And you actually believe  that the results  for GoG are going to be different than Steam?  Gimme a break.  But fine, since following the links seems to be beyond the pale, I will do it for you once again.  

GoG; Skyrim: Special Edition

image.thumb.png.2d3fb31bd07e5a9ee1cd1670de3bfee3.png

GoG; Skyrim: Anniversary Upgrade

image.thumb.png.05c5d52a6241455ad7385e3d960e28e0.png

GoG; Skyrim: Anniversary Edition

image.thumb.png.41d608415f6a60c9e9cf8c3baa2570b6.png

The results are the same.  Two listings, two different products.  So my leap was not out of place. 

Edited by Scythe Bearer

Yet again you're just confirming what I already said. GoG has two store entries for Skyrim SE. One for "Special Edition" and another for "Anniversary Edition". Unlike Steam, they are NOT set up as bundle purchases of SE and the AE Upgrade DLC.

Source: Me. Cause I bought it there and I know what I have in my library right now.