Is the previous version available somewhere?

Seoan

Well, I f**ked up.  :/

I installed the latest version, but then I used the patch to downgrade from the AE. Now the latest version of the USSEP won't work. Now I need the previous version.

Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Crap!  I need it too!  I just hope it's one of the many mods I thought to back up or Phat is screwed!  Royally!

Thanks

It isn't. We don't provide previous versions of USSEP under any circumstances. That has always been our policy and it won't be changing.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It doesn't help you now, of course, but for future reference, ANY mod which you use should be backed up to a separate location on your PC or, even better, to a memory stick - saves a lot of grief in the long run.  And that really applies to any important files you may have on your PC.

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, smr1957 said:

It doesn't help you now, of course, but for future reference, ANY mod which you use should be backed up to a separate location on your PC or, even better, to a memory stick - saves a lot of grief in the long run.  And that really applies to any important files you may have on your PC.

A friend slipped me a copy of the earlier version already.  I am rather prolific at backing up the 7z files for most of my mods.  I'm currently somewhere in the neighborhood of 200GB of mod files... give or take... it may be closer to 350GB.  I'm fairly certain that I have backups of this but I'll be loading into my new machine with that last SSE with the corresponding SKSE from before the AE update.  Thus far, it is just the base game with SKSE set up to remain in the pre-AE state.  In six or so months, once things become more stable, I may give the AE update a go.  But, until such time, I prefer to keep my sanity and my SKSE extensions preserved.  As for backup methods, I prefer off system storage, usually USB drives.  I currently have about half a TB worth which just keeps on growing and growing and... Yeah... hahaha :lmao: 

I am certain that I have proper versions of RFYL, Alt Start and Paarthurnax Dilemma.  I probably have a pre-AE version of USSEP as well.  However, when I saw this post it made me wonder...  Now I need not worry or wonder as I was directed to the archive page at Nexus by a rather kind soul.  Peace.:)

I appreciate the word to the wise my friend :)  Adventure ever on, Phat:blackhand:

21 hours ago, BlackPete said:

It isn't. We don't provide previous versions of USSEP under any circumstances. That has always been our policy and it won't be changing.

Relax phat, Pete wasn't being rude. He was simply telling you what our standing policy with the USSEP has been all along. We do not offer old copies for any reason to anyone.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

During the early years of the US*P, I'd personally kept a separate copy of every version. We sometimes had problems where a fix wasn't properly integrated, and it was useful to go back and check an older version. Also, to compare with older versions of ever changing scripts, and to ensure that I could test against older savefiles.

Eventually, it became obvious that there were too many permutations to handle. Nowadays, I rarely keep a copy of the previous version.

AFAIK, there's no reason that this most recent version won't work on pre-AE or VR (with updated files). If somebody finds something specific, that would be worth documenting.

On 11/15/2021 at 7:09 PM, BlackPete said:

Hi, BlackPete!  This issue has come up on the Steam forums as the previous version has been listed under archived on the file page of the Patch, and some are posting the link to the archived file.  I have advised that this not be done until there is a clarification of whether this is allowed or not (I personally assume that it is not), and to that end, I have reached out to one of my contacts at Nexus to give their position on whether this is allowed, and am also posting here so that you, Arthmoor, and the Patch team are made aware of this and can also state what the position is regarding the posting of licks to hidden content (the previous version of the Patch).

And if you or Arthmoor or any member of the Patch team would like to make a statement about this in the forum, the thread to do it in is the Coffee House - that will give it its widest exposure, as that is where the most active members of the community communicate.  Thanks!

EDIT - Pickysaurus informed one of the Steam forum members who had also asked about posting the archived version: "that's why we put the file there in the first place", 
https://imgur.com/MQCiApS

Well, it is what it is.

As I told this other person already, we consider that to be a violation of our license terms which have been clearly spelled out for years now. We do not agree with Nexus on this. People who encourage linking to this are not people we wish to deal with in any way.

4 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

As I told this other person already, we consider that to be a violation of our license terms which have been clearly spelled out for years now. We do not agree with Nexus on this. People who encourage linking to this are not people we wish to deal with in any way.

Thank you for that!  I am going to post and link to to this - I have not linked it in my threads for exactly this reason.  Indeed, I think that Nexus is also going against what the intent of archiving was for - so individual who use a collection could use a particular collection even though some mods within it had been updated/removed - NOT so that people could continue using previous versions or link previous version for others to use.  But, as I said, it is what it is.  It is really unfortunate that things like integrity - regardless of how personally inconvenient it may be - no longer seem to have any meaning anymore; but then, I've found that out with events in my personal life over the last few years, so I should not be surprised when I see it in the modding community.

Anyway thanks for the response, Arthmoor, and rest assured that I will not be posting any archived links ever, and will discourage their use by others (though that may be a losing battle).

Just posted this in the Steam forum Coffee House thread, and will be posting it in other of my threads where pertinent:

Regarding the use of links to archived versions of the Unofficial Patch, Arthmoor responded:

From Arthmoor:
"we consider that [the use of archived links] to be a violation of our license terms which have been clearly spelled out for years now. We do not agree with Nexus on this. People who encourage linking to this are not people we wish to deal with in any way."
https://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/topic/5950-is-the-previous-version-available-somewhere/&do=findComment&comment=181517

Personally, I agree with him, and will continue not to link the prior version not encourage people to do so - and think that any links currently posted should be removed.

I am reminded of when The Lord of the Rings was released by Ace books in a non-authorized paperback version. Tolkien, on the authorized version of the book released by Ballantine Books had this printed:

"Those who approve of courtesy (at least) to living authors will purchase it, and no other."

That was the end of Ace.

So, those who approve of courtesy (at least) to mod authors, will link only the authorized Unofficial Patch, and no others.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/489830/discussions/0/154643795211522292/?ctp=1460#c3199240042194088265

43 minutes ago, smr1957 said:

no longer seem to have any meaning anymore

Lack of integrity is not a new phenomenon, sadly.  Uploading mods without a modder's permission (both current and older versions), altering mods and releasing them as new work under new names, ect, are issues that go all the way back to the Morrowind era.  There were fierce battles on Bethesda's forums over IP rights and ownership back then.  The result is licensing and legal sections in readmes and on download pages stipulating redistribution restrictions.

I do not have any mods on Nexus (I stopped uploading my mods before the Nexus became a download site) but I have had my work incorporated into mod packs and compilations without my permission (and, in one case, without crediting me), so I can sympathize with the rage that Nexus modders must feel these days.  Feeling that control over one's own work is being taken away can leave a bitter taste.  

33 minutes ago, Pseron Wyrd said:

Lack of integrity is not a new phenomenon, sadly.  Uploading mods without a modder's permission (both current and older versions), altering mods and releasing them as new work under new names, ect, are issues that go all the way back to the Morrowind era.  There were fierce battles on Bethesda's forums over IP rights and ownership back then.  The result is licensing and legal sections in readmes and on download pages stipulating redistribution restrictions.

I do not have any mods on Nexus (I stopped uploading my mods before the Nexus became a download site) but I have had my work incorporated into mod packs and compilations without my permission (and, in one case, without crediting me), so I can sympathize with the rage that Nexus modders must feel these days.  Feeling that control over one's own work is being taken away can leave a bitter taste.  

Unfortunately, for a lot of people, convenience trumps principles, but, as you say, sadly it is nothing new - nor is anything under the sun or stars - so we should not be surprised.

I will continue to post what I have indicated - even though from how people are now responding, they probably will not listen - but I have never given up hope that they will, and I will not give it up now.

In a couple of weeks most of these people are going to feel pretty silly since most of the things they're on about will have been updated by then :P

4 minutes ago, Arthmoor said:

In a couple of weeks most of these people are going to feel pretty silly since most of the things they're on about will have been updated by then :P

All too true.  Already we have people indicating that everything  - for the most part - works just fine.  And the things that do not, will be taken care of - if not in the upcoming patch, then in some subsequent one - either by Besthesda or the community

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/16/2021 at 12:09 AM, BlackPete said:

We don't provide previous versions of USSEP under any circumstances.

Spoiler
On 11/16/2021 at 10:14 PM, Arthmoor said:

...our standing policy with the USSEP has been all along. We do not offer old copies for any reason to anyone.

Why not? I mean, is there a good reason for this? Is the mod not called USSEP? Why not leave it and make a new one called USAEP(Unofficial Skyrim Anniversary Edition Patch)? SLE gets it's own patch, and TES4, and TES3, and FO4, and... you get my point here? I'm simply confused by this policy of not leaving a legacy version behind. And then on top of it, forbidding anyone to help others obtain it through the community somehow. I'm probably gonna get banned for this but, that's some [redacted]. It feels like you guys have sorta become what you hate.

Sorry, but that's how I feel.

On 11/18/2021 at 11:58 PM, Arthmoor said:

In a couple of weeks most of these people are going to feel pretty silly since most of the things they're on about will have been updated by then

And what does that mean?

Edited by Sigurð Stormhand
Inflammatory language

7 hours ago, Rev Elevenclaw said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Why not? I mean, is there a good reason for this? Is the mod not called USSEP? Why not leave it and make a new one called USAEP(Unofficial Skyrim Anniversary Edition Patch)? SLE gets it's own patch, and TES4, and TES3, and FO4, and... you get my point here? I'm simply confused by this policy of not leaving a legacy version behind. And then on top of it, forbidding anyone to help others obtain it through the community somehow. I'm probably gonna get banned for this but, that's some [redacted]. It feels like you guys have sorta become what you hate.

There is a major difference here. AE is not new game. AE is just SSE updated. You can not get SSE on STEAM, only what people call AE.

Edited by Sigurð Stormhand
Quote included inflammatory language

3 minutes ago, Wasarion said:

There is a major difference here. AE is not new game. AE is just SSE updated. You can not get SSE on STEAM, only what people call AE.

I understand that. However some people (like me) like SSE just fine and have no intention of upgrading (?) (paying for yet another version) to SAE. I mean I can get the SAE update for free with a few extras, but not all of the games extra CC content. That's another $20. And I worked for months to get my game to where it is, as have so many others. So what if someone needs to rebuild their SSE, and they didn't have the foresight to keep back up mods? I have back ups, but that's not the point. Well by policy of the unofficial patch team, they're boned. My point is, it makes the USSEP lost to the void, and that's just dumb.

30 minutes ago, Wasarion said:

AE is not SE updated.  AE is simply a bundle of CC content that is purchasable as an addon for SE.  The game is STILL SSE, and SSE is STILL available on Steam here.  What people see as the Anniversary Edition package is simply SSE + AE packaged together in one bundled purchasable item - it even says that it is a package of AE and SE.  This is simply the same as when Legendary Edition Skyrim was released as a bundle for Oldrim.  There was no Legendary Edition game, it was just the base game and all 3 DLCs packaged as a bundle.

From https://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/topic/5954-skyrim-anniversary-edition-and-you/

"This one is relatively simple. Skyrim Special Edition was updated to game version 1.6.318 (there was briefly a 1.6.317 but a hotfix came out a few hours after launch). This update included recompiling the .exe file with a newer version of Visual Studios, and this recompiling has resulted in a small boost in game performance due to the new optimizations that VS2019 offers. There are also now 4 additional DLCs which have become part of the package: Survival Mode, Saints & Seducers, Rare Curios, and Fishing. The first 3 are existing DLCs, the Fishing one is brand new with this update.

All of this has been provided to everyone on all platforms as a free content update, thus making version 1.6.318 the new "base game" that everyone gets.

As a bonus, there were also a number of other bugfixes made to some things.

What Constitutes Skyrim Anniversary Edition?

The Anniversary Edition upgrade of the game is a paid DLC package on each platform..."

The game is STILL Special Edition (SE).  AE is not SE updated - it is SE upgraded - but it is still SE.

As to the Unofficial Patch, the Patch is for the main mandatory game that everyone receives when they buy SSE - it does not include items that people may optionally purchase - as they are just that - options, which some people may have and others may not.  For options purchased for SE, people would also need to install the Unofficial Skyrim Creation Club Content Patches by Garthand

As to the Unofficial Patch itself, it has always been the policy of the Unofficial Patch Team to only have the version of the Patch for the current game version - in this case it is the updated version of SSE, as that is what everyone's game will either be on purchase or through Steam's updating of it.  The policy has not changed at all.  So, provided that you did not buy the AE package or Bundle (both of which, it should be emphasized, are OPTIONAL purchases), you should be fine.  If a person prevents Steam from updating their game, then it is on that individual to ensure that they have everything backed up that they would need to continue playting the obsoleted version of the game that they are using.  Now, there are workarounds - but they are not supported, and should people have issues with their game due to the use of those workarounds and use of an outdated version of the Patch, then no support can be given.  This is not punitive in any way, shape, or form - its sole purpose is to ensure consistency and to make it so that there is one current patch and therefore everyone is on the same page when referring to issues, and thus avoid the confusion that would result from having to deal with different versions of the Patch, or the game.

I feel like we've gone over this ground plenty of times and there's a whole post about it in the SSE knowledge base already. People should take the time to read it and understand what SE vs AE even is before asking about it in any way.

2 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

I feel like we've gone over this ground plenty of times and there's a whole post about it in the SSE knowledge base already. People should take the time to read it and understand what SE vs AE even is before asking about it in any way.

Well, as we all know, good luck with getting people to read anything at times!  And, when even the SKSE team can't get it straight, what hope is there for the ordinary average gamer?  Someone really needs to tell the SKSE team that there is no such thing as an AE version - the compilers are all for SE and the Anniversary Edition has absolutely nothing to do with it. By them listing an "AE version" they are doing nothing but confusing the community. Instead of listing the SKSE64 version for the obsoleted Skyrim 1.5.97, they should just move that older, outdated version to their archive with all the prior releases of SKSE64. Their "Preliminary AE build 2.1.3" is actually for SE version 1.6.323 which is the current compiler, and so their file should be "Preliminary SE build 2.1.3" 

EDIT - well I sent a polite email to the SKSE Team and to Ian Patterson about this.  Let's see what their response is.

7 hours ago, Rev Elevenclaw said:

I understand that. However some people (like me) like SSE just fine and have no intention of upgrading (?) (paying for yet another version) to SAE. I mean I can get the SAE update for free with a few extras, but not all of the games extra CC content. That's another $20. And I worked for months to get my game to where it is, as have so many others. So what if someone needs to rebuild their SSE, and they didn't have the foresight to keep back up mods? I have back ups, but that's not the point. Well by policy of the unofficial patch team, they're boned. My point is, it makes the USSEP lost to the void, and that's just dumb.

As others have noted, it has always been the policy of the UPP to offer only one patch for each game, that is the most recent release from Bethesda. If want to prevent Steam from upgrading your game that's your choice, but we don't support that. We only support the current game version.

We do this because, in the long run, people running outdated patch versions and outdated game versions causes problems with mod compatibility.