Windows 11

Uncus

A new app by Steve Gibson has been released, anyone remember Never10?

InControl https://www.grc.com/incontrol.htm

Have a good read there for instructions, and note you need to run it as adminstrator.

Might be handy for anyone wanting to delay things. It will still let windows do monthly security updates.

InControl controls Windows automatic updating/upgrading system by targeting it to a specific major version and feature update release. By default, the current release will be used. So if you “Take Control” with the major version and feature release shown in the boxes in the lower left, Windows will remain right where it is – only installing monthly security updates – until you “Release control”.

• 2 months later...

Godz, just had an update to Win 11 today, one of those feature updates you have to click to initiate the download and install, and well I need to explain something first :

Windows 11 when I did a clean install, insisted on Creating an online account which I didn't want.

However with no option I made one, random email address / password / Madonna is my real name ( not :) ).

Once into windows, went to settings, accounts, and created another User Account. Gave the new User account Admin privileges, and made it a Local account (you know Local user account with username and password login screen).

Shut down, booted up and logged in to the Local account .. Then deleted the Online account.

All has been great since, did the usual privacy options, turned off everything like Inking and typing AKA keyboard spy ..

So, to todays feature update. After it all installed it needed a restart. Machine reboots, usual progress percentage .. Then we get to one of those full screen Introducing you to Windows new features. Was offered to have Edge and change some of my browser settings, no thanks, next ..

What came next was the Login to your Microsoft Online account (remember this is already a Local User account setup), with no option to proceed to windows except creating one again O_O, effing arseholes.

Well anyway, its not so much a drama because the Local account was still there and I could get into it, but in Settings Accounts there was a new button which you can click to stop Windows trying to log you in to your online account, and that was the end of it.

I'm just miffed that MS during a windows update (aren't they supposed to just update features and install security fixes instead of railroading you into this shit?) is forcing Local Account users to create yet another online account if one is not found.

TLDR:

Good news is I am still on a Local user account.

Bad news is MS are now trying to use windows updates to railroad us into an online account, bastards.

I bought Windows 7, was forced with aggressive updates into Win 10, Win 10 is getting dropped so we have no option but to install Win 11 .. and now we are forced into online accounts which MS by default hoover up as much data by various methods as possible about you.

I'm not about to go joining Russia, ISIS or any other terrorists any time soon, dont do anything illegal .. so really I have nothing to hide, but you know its the principle of the thing. I wouldn't mind so much if I had not been suckered out of my bought for copy into this free OS and railroading.

Have a good day MS, I hope all your kids have rats for heads and walk backwards. :)

This just reaffirms my decision to ride Windows 10 out until they cut it off some time in 2024.

As I have stated in this thread before (January 27, 2022 to be exact), I am on Windows 11, and I do not have a MS Online account (never have). 

My only annoyance it the loss of the stackable tiles on the start menu and the inability to easily change the height of the taskbar.  

I see none of the issues which are described by alt3rn1ty.   I do occasionally get reminders that I need to create a MS account, but nothing even close to the aggressive nature described above.  

I see no reason you shouldn't move up on the adaption curve.  Windows 11 is just different than Windows 10, and takes some getting used too.  

For my part, I had some real challenges relearning my reflexive keystrokes and mouse positioning.  The hardest, positioning the mouse over Start icon on the taskbar.   It's not on the left anymore (it's center bottom), but my reflex still moves the mouse to the left. 

55 minutes ago, Scythe Bearer said:

As I have stated in this thread before (January 27, 2022 go be exact), I am on Windows 11, and I do not have a MS Online account (never have). 

My only annoyance it the loss of the stackable tiles on the start menu and the inability to easily change the height of the taskbar.  

I see none of the issues which are described by alt3rn1ty.   I do occasionally get reminders that I need to create a MS account, but nothing even close to the aggressive nature described above.  

I see no reason you shouldn't move up on the adaption curve.  Windows 11 is just different than Windows 10, and takes some getting used too.  

For my part, I had some real challenges relearning my reflexive keystrokes and mouse positioning.  The hardest, positioning the mouse over Start icon on the taskbar.   It's not on the left anymore (it's center bottom), but my reflex still moves the mouse to the left. 

you can change that in task bar options and move the task bar items to the left so the windows start button is back where it was.

1 hour ago, Scythe Bearer said:

Well, all I can say is if :

a. You dont have an online user account ever registered with windows 11 home, and

b. You have installed KB5012643, and not witnessed being held up by the windows new features screens until you create an online account, then

.. I am obviously missing a trick here somewhere.

1 hour ago, alt3rn1ty said:

Well, all I can say is if :

a. You dont have an online user account ever registered with windows 11 home, and

b. You have installed KB5012643, and not witnessed being held up by the windows new features screens until you create an online account, then

.. I am obviously missing a trick here somewhere.

I am using Windows 11 PRO, not Home.  Therein may lay the difference. 

Edition    Windows 11 Pro
Version    21H2
Installed on    ‎2022-‎01-‎27
OS build    22000.652
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.652.0

So the old trick of unplugging the internet before doing a clean install doesn't work with 11?

5 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

So the old trick of unplugging the internet before doing a clean install doesn't work with 11?

No, you need an internet connection otherwise for the first time you will not get into windows past the out of the box experience. Thats why if you wish to have a local account you have to make one afterwards, make it admin, make it a local account, shut down, log into the local account and then delete the online account. MS have really clamped down on people trying to bypass this, even the couple of tricks (shift plus F11 at a certain point in the installation, or alt tabbing to try and get a command console) mentioned before now have been addressed by MS and no longer work.

I have to agree with Scythe Bearer on a few things though, I kicked up a fuss a few posts back because I was venting, but really Win 11 is just like Win 10 but a lot smoother. Clamp down on all the Privacy stuff like we needed to do in Win 10 and its good (though they have got a bit more sneaky with things like keyboard loggers via Inking and Typing plus a few more telemetry tricks introduced in Win 11 .. Bound to happen really as a trade off for it all being free).

I cant recall what the changes have been, but I have read that Windows 11 Pro is going to be tightening things up a bit with regards to having an Online account, versus a Win 11 Home account which doesn't get away with it at all unless you go through the route I did .. And even then it seems Windows updates are trying to clamp down on an already established Local Account going by the experience I had yesterday.

Today though I still have a Local account ..

EWUAZbQ.png

and a new button did appear after the update in Account settings to allow me to tell windows to stop trying to sign in to an online account, though there are new other places in settings with big fucking in your face nag buttons now ..

v4CIlyA.png

.. They are in a few places, but I had not seen these before yesterday. How long that remains the case is yet to be seen, but I really cant imagine once you have overcome a few hurdles that MS will persist pushing this shit. Its a bit like the early days of Win 10 where MS were trying things and then reverting to a stable norm when there was public outcry. If there isn't an outcry then no doubt they will persist.

The Microsoft account windows update forced me to create yesterday I am keeping in windows as a preventative measure to stop windows insisting on making one (its just a made up email address which I haven't actually created anywhere nor use at all).

ew9tOux.png

And hopefully setting the Sign in Options to "Apps need to ask me to use this account" will be honoured by Windows, and I can continue with Cortana / Onedrive being disabled using my Local User account from now on.

I turned that one off as I use my desk top and lap top for deferent things, so when starting up windows tried to down load all the apps I had on the other machine cocking up my desktop and adding way to many gigs of useless data.

:rofl: Yep, why the hell we would want to share apps across devices with different purposes. It's just a gimmick to try and coax people into allowing all your data to be hoovered up on MS servers for marketing and research (and probably the NSAs' Data Centre same as Skype data which MS allows the NSA to peek into and record). I'll stick to using a USB backup drive in my house in the UK.

• 1 month later...

Well I'll be damned!  I have a security update which failed.  I tried to report it to Microsoft, but alas, you need an MS Online account to report a problem. 

image.thumb.png.d27754df105b8aa99006676c2103b3b0.png

Not at all surprising given the lengths they've gone to to try and force people into getting an account.

I always wait, never get version 1 of anything, and in this case, windows 11 is version 1 of win11. I personally would prefer to do a full install instead of an upgrade, but I would need a windows 11 key as my builtin windows key is win10

I just found out there may be another way to setup with a Local Account, but the advice is from December last year and I know a few other methods from that time no longer work, so if this does not work for Win 11 Home, then you need to do the long winded approach of initially setting up an online account, then creating another user account to be a local account and give it Administrator privileges, shut down and log in to the Local user account, and then delete the online account.

The following method relies on locked accounts failing the online registration.

During the OOBE first boot of Win 11, when it asks for making an Online account, enter an email address of test@test.com (or use a@b.com), give it any old random password and click Sign in .. If this works you should get an Oops something went wrong, and be offered a Next button, click Next and hopefully you get Enter a Username and Password as in a Local Account setup.

If anyone tries it and it works, let us know :)

• 4 weeks later...

Now that Windows 11 has been with us a while, Puget Systems ran some video editing tests on both Windows 10 and 11.  Here are the results.   Please ignore the adverts and focus on the testing and results.  

There's also rumors floating around now that Windows 12 is coming in 2024. So it might be possible to leapfrog over 11 :P

I've seen that.  It started with an article on Windows Central a couple days ago.  Speculation based on "unnamed sources" and I am hard pressed to believe such speculation.

• 5 months later...

As seen in Wikipedia, a good trot, surprisingly less in total than 3.1, 2000, and XP. Is it too late to lobby for a time extension to W10, because, unless we grow more fingers on our hands, how does one keep track of it all?

Not sure about these widgets in W11 - where are the gears? If they were so great, why couldn't they have converted all the items in the entire file system to widgets then?

This article about ad removal might help, especially the last two items.

Oh, and prepare to say farewell to the trusty disk cleanup around for years, the  functions are being migrated over to settings now, while the article remains faithful to the old.  :)

Edit: Lot of work to done with Explorer still, including the new tabs, which do not restore at logon.  :(

Edited by lmstearn