Windows 11

Uncus

Hi guys and gals, I was wondering have any of you tried windows 11 yet. Does work with current software that the average gamer is likely to use.  Or does it nock gaming back to the stone age until all the software is updated. Sharing your thoughts and experiences would be nice info for those that have not yet jumped in.

I'm interested, but having gone through all the early release crap of Win 10 I'm kind of letting the cannon fodder volunteers go first this time round :D

Its going to have less rubbish in the start menu, and supposed to have benefits for gamers, but will also once again be pushing the Microsoft Account and OneDrive setup by default, making a Local Account none obvious from what I have seen.

Can't really comment though just yet until I have let the OS update and experienced it.

Rounded windows corners, hmm. Money for old rope with an updated UI is what I think it is at the moment.

I'm on AMD, so I've got zero incentive to want to switch. There's indications that even the last round of patches haven't corrected the gaming performance issues yet for Ryzen CPUs. Which Intel's shady marketing division is taking full advantage of right now for the Alder Lake CPUs.

• Like 2

Didn't even know that W11 was out yet.  But my W10 works fine so I'm not in a hurry to change anything.  Though I am in the market for a new gaming PC and I'm wondering now when I get it if it will come pre-loaded with W10 or W11.  Hmm...

46 minutes ago, LeBurns said:

Didn't even know that W11 was out yet.  But my W10 works fine so I'm not in a hurry to change anything.  Though I am in the market for a new gaming PC and I'm wondering now when I get it if it will come pre-loaded with W10 or W11.  Hmm...

the offer to upgrade has been sitting in my updates notifications for a week or more but so far I have left it there waiting for more info from the community. I went over to windows 10 quite early and to be honest did not have many problems once I had worked out where everything was, but I understand this build is having some problems  so I have elected to wait for now.

I think the PC Health check is more likely correct and more up to date, and the installer of windows 11 needs an update ..

From the mouths of MS : "The availability of Windows 11 has been increased and we are leveraging our latest generation
machine learning model to offer the upgrade to an expanded set of eligible devices."

So it looks like the PC Health check in the users screenshot in my last post has been "leveraged" but the Win 11 setup hasn't.

I mentioned last month they may well dumb down the hard requirements when they realise how many users will not be uptaking the new OS making Microsoft lose out on many users data for marketing and advertising not being hoovered up by the default Microsoft Account and OneDrive grabbing all the user data.

They still haven't fixed the PrintNightmare exploit issue for network printers yet, thats been ongoing since before Christmas last year and will still be a problem for Win 11 early adopters. MS seem to be going more and more downhill, but hey, what about them rounded corners! :lmao:

Looking forward to Linux.

Drill sergeants all over the world are all asking the same question, “whats Wrong With Square Corners”

• Haha 2

My laptop is not eligible “ Yet?“ which is a pity as last time when 10 came out I used it as a test bed before upgrading my desk top.

I'm running AMD Ryzen 5, Radeon RX5600 RT, and 16gb  ram on a AMD motherboard and It met minimum requirements. Being an old school windows user it is not recommended to "upgrade" but instead do a clean install but I chose to this time because essentially I'm unemployed and the upgrade was free. The main contributing factor you have to consider is that Microsoft will stop updates for Windows 10 in January 2022 so if you want to keep using 10 just keep that in mind. 

So far 11 looks and runs nicer but as I am not a windows guru that is my opinion only :)

• 1 month later...

Well, I bit the bullet.  Ordered a new Windows 11 compatible box for myself for the holidays. 

image.thumb.png.a7126224defa0fb10596e2e64979b502.png

They started building it today.  Ships in 2-3 weeks, so it won't actually be here till after the Gregorian New Year.

It's built to survive a decade of growth in the industry before being completely obsolete.  Or, it's built to last the rest of my life.  Which ever comes first.

Windows is for busta's.  Linux is digital freedom.  Though Windows does support most games.  But Wine and Proton have come a long way.

• 1 month later...

I installed Windows 11 today and immediately found my first annoyance.  To increase the height of the taskbar, you have to edit the Registry.  Here is the guide I followed, and it worked. 

Edit, here is the final on my new box and what I am testing on: 

Motherboard        Asus ProArt X570-Creator WiFi

CPU                    AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4GHz Sixteen Core 105W

Ram                    4x Crucial DDR4-3200 32GB (128GB Total)

Video Card         NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB Founders Edition

Sound Card        Onboard Sound

Hard Drive         Samsung 980 Pro 500GB Gen4 M.2 SSD, Internal, Primary drive.
                          Samsung 980 Pro 2TB Gen4 M.2 SSD, Internal, Secondary drive.
                          WD My Passport 259F 3TB HDD, External, USB drive.
                         WD easdystore 264D 12TB HDD, External, USB drive.

CD / DVD        Asus 16x Blu-ray Burner, Internal, SATA
                        LG 16X Blu-ray Burner, External USB drive,

OS                  Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Windows version 1.0, released on November 20, 1985

"one small step for man, one giant leap for Microsoft"

BTW who now own Bethesda ... :facepalm:

In Windows 10, you can "stack" app tiles to create a "grouping" of apps which are related.  By way of example, you can drop the CK tile on top of the Fallout 4 app tile and they are now stacked.  Drop the xEdit and xEditClean tiles on top, along with the tiles for BAE and Material editor.  Add a link to the Fallout 4 folder in Common and the Fallout 4 folders in AppData and Documents, and you have all the Fallout 4 modding tools and locations in one place.  Convenient as hell. 

Alas, this is not possible with Windows 11.  You can add apps to Start, but after the first eighteen, you start having pages of apps to scroll through.  And given that I just listed nine apps/icons for Fallout 4, you can begin to see the scale of the problem when you have Fallout 3, Fallout NV and Fallout 4 along with Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim and Skyrim SE.    That is a potential for at least 63 icons, and we haven't started with common tools like Notepad++, Gimp, 7-zip, steam, etc, ad nauseam. 

Solution,  I created a folder, and put in it links to all the tools and file folders for Fallout 4.  Then I added that folder to Start.  Clicking that ICON opens the folder, which is a bit of a kludge but it turns 9 icons into one. 

Repeating this solution for apps which can be logically grouped, and I might just get this down to a single page. 

• 2 weeks later...

Now using Win 11

Biggest ball ache is getting the Home edition into a Local offline account, Pro version allows you to if you select the right options at install, Home edition well, MS are really determined to try and force you into an online account (worse than Windows 10 was). I ended up creating a temporary online account I will never use, then went into User accounts and made another User account, gave it the Administrator Group. Then you have to go to any microsoft web page and sign out of your online account, shut down the computer and allow a bit of time for the sign out to propagate. Boot up the computer and log in to the second Administrator User account, and from there go into user accounts again and remove the online account.

There have been various tips put online about using Shift plus F10 and using taskkill in a command line to stop being forced into using an online account, there was another about using Alt + F4 .. and a few others. MS have put a big stompy boot on those methods.

Anyway, for me there are a few things to get used to, I like having 7zip in the desktop right click context menu, but with Win 11's new compact context menu you have to go into a sub folder "More Options" of the context menu to find the usual 7zip choices. And windows snapping is supposed to be one of its better features but the magnetism of window edge regions is a bit too big and annoys the hell out of me, so I just switched all snapping off.

Buuut, besides getting used to the new quirks, I am quite liking Win 11, feels slick.

Security is a lot better using TPM encryption keys, Directstorage promises to improve game loading resources when games start taking advantage of it.

Privacy wise it has all the options Win 10 had to clamp down a bit, but I think there's a fair bit more MS are trying to get out of users with Win 11.

O&O Shutup10 has been updated for Win 11 to clamp down a lot more https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

Can't you just pull the internet cable out of the PC when installing it? That's been quite effective at stopping Windows 10 from trying to force an online account.

12 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

Can't you just pull the internet cable out of the PC when installing it? That's been quite effective at stopping Windows 10 from trying to force an online account.

I can't see Sah's video above (at work so videos get blocked) so don't know if they are relevant to your question, but..

Damn!, I forgot to try that and switch off the laptops wifi. Might be worth a go.

1 hour ago, alt3rn1ty said:

I can't see Sah's video above (at work so videos get blocked) so don't know if they are relevant to your question, but..

Damn!, I forgot to try that and switch off the laptops wifi. Might be worth a go.

Curse work internet "you cant watch this or that"

don't no if there relevant to the exact above question ... just thought it was some interesting information

The person who did ThisIsWin11 on Github, has made another App which cuts out the Win11 intro stuff, so that its more like TweakUI

TweakUIX https://github.com/builtbybel/TweakUIX

Click the "Check" button finds what you have tweaked before, and then ticks the ones you may want to Apply which have not been done previously (untick as required).

---------------

I like the new Win 11 Notepad. Groove music from Win 10 has just been replaced with an updated Windows Media Player too on Win 11.