.esl files and xEdit

Gruffydd

I'm at the packaging up point in my mod update, and as part of that I'm converting a good chunk of it into a series of .esl plugins, so that the user can select which parts they want, and none of them count against the mod limit.

I downloaded the tutorial I found, and followed the directions, editing the Record Flags under File Header to check the ESL box, after compacting the form IDs for esl. They now show with FE before them, and all have the ESL box checked. However, they still all show in the folder as esp files, with the .esp extention.

I read in the tutorial that they recommend against changing the file type extension to .esl, as that can cause problems. So my question is, what if anything do I need to do at this point to finish converting them to .esl files? Are they really already stealth .esl files, acting in all ways as a .esl, but disguised as a .esp? Or is there a step I missed?

There is nothing more that needs to be done - it is normal for the extension to remain the same.  They are, as you surmised, already .esl files - .esp files flagged as .esl - and thus will not count toward the standard plugin limit.

1 hour ago, SkyLover said:

I really don't understand why they have the different file extensions if the extension itself doesn't even matter.

It does matter.   ESL plugins don't count against the 255 slot plugin limit.