Question about a patch that still uses the old naming as a master

kestrelhawk

I just started playing Skyrim LE again after close to 4 years. I'm not 100% certain, but I believe USLEEP still had the old name then, Unofficial Skyrim Patch. I have two mods that work with a patch, Perfect Whiterun and Breezehome FullyUpgradeable. The patch is from the Breezehome mod page. Unfortunately, said patch still lists the old naming for your patch, so what I want to know, is if I can rename it to the current designation in xEdit, or will that fubar something else or the whole game?  I'd appreciate any help given, because the patch I need doesn't recognize the current USLEEP file name.

Thanks for all that your patch team does,

kestrelhawk

The Unofficial Skyrim Patch was the name for the individual patch for just Skyrim without the DLCs. The Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch (USLEEP) was and is the one for original Skyrim and all 3 DLCs, and is the only Unofficial Patch version currently available.  If the mod only lists the Unofficial Skyrim Patch as a master, I would strongly suggest that you do not use the mod - renaming of the Patch should NOT be done, they are NOT interchangeable. And yes, it is liable to break any mods that require the actual Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch (USLEEP). Your options would be to make a Patch yourself, search for a patch that works with the current version of USLEEP, or simply not use the mod.

EDIT - See Arthmoor's post, below.

Yes, you should be able to use Wrye Bash to change the name of the master files those patches both use.

You will need to validate the results in xedit to make sure nothing is pointing to a bad form though.

4 minutes ago, Arthmoor said:

Yes, you should be able to use Wrye Bash to change the name of the master files those patches both use.

You will need to validate the results in xedit to make sure nothing is pointing to a bad form though.

Thanks for the correction, Arthmoor.  I am just very conservative when it comes to advising other people to do things such as that.

Understandable, but as long as it's checked in xedit to make sure nothing went wrong, it should be fine.

Thanks smr1957, and thanks you too Arthmoor! Unfortunately, I know zip about wry bash, never wanted or needed it, still don't, and so now I'm not sure  what I'll do, besides picking my stomach off of the floor. I had a bunch  of life changes, the reason I wasn't playing, which also put the huge interrupt on 400+ page fanfic story. I've finally started wanting to get back into it and finish, but this isn't the best news. Loss of this one small patch will tear apart my Whiterun. 

Well, may I'll get lucky and Sku11Monkey (of the Breezehome FullyUpgradeable mod) will get back to me. 

Thank you again Gents, at least I knew to come here for trusted advice and answers!

Kes

On 10/22/2021 at 3:28 AM, kestrelhawk said:

Thanks smr1957, and thanks you too Arthmoor! Unfortunately, I know zip about wry bash, never wanted or needed it, still don't, and so now I'm not sure  what I'll do, besides picking my stomach off of the floor. I had a bunch  of life changes, the reason I wasn't playing, which also put the huge interrupt on 400+ page fanfic story. I've finally started wanting to get back into it and finish, but this isn't the best news. Loss of this one small patch will tear apart my Whiterun. 

Well, may I'll get lucky and Sku11Monkey (of the Breezehome FullyUpgradeable mod) will get back to me. 

Thank you again Gents, at least I knew to come here for trusted advice and answers!

Kes

You should also be able to make the change in the header in xEdit, though that would need to be done my hand.

I would very strongly advise against using a hex editor to do that since you'd need to make sure the edit was exactly the same length as the previous content or it will corrupt the file header and make the mod unloadable by any tools, the CK, or the game.