Lakeview Extended Install Issue

krb243

I posted this on the mod page, but I'm hoping to receive a quicker answer here.

whenever i install the mod, but before i activate it (new playthrough), vortex names the mod DELETE.  So i reinstalled my older copy and now it does the same thing.  the version numbers on both are 0.0.0.  i had my older copy installed and deactivated and have used it for several playthroughs without issue, but uninstalled it to install the newer version.  i don't understand and have never seen this before.  when i look into the esp it looks fine, all the files are named properly.  do you know what's causing this?  thanks in advance!

•  

as i stated above the same thing happened when i reinstalled my older copy, redownloading isn't necessary.  i'll have to look under the hood and see what ties exist between vortex and the mod when i have time.  vortex keys on the ascii name of the mod, shows lakeview extended installed for just a second, then the mod's name is changed to delete, which is an empty esp.  ran malware checkers and nothing comes up.  i've enjoyed the mod during several playthroughs, but i'll just use hjertesten farm mod or blackthorn instead as a main base of ops.  i just thought i'd see if anyone else has seen this problem and i'm curious if it will occur if installed with mo2.

however, thanks for the response.

Can't you just install the mod manually?  It seems a little drastic to give up on the mod completely.

18 hours ago, krb243 said:

I posted this on the mod page, but I'm hoping to receive a quicker answer here.

whenever i install the mod, but before i activate it (new playthrough), vortex names the mod DELETE.  So i reinstalled my older copy and now it does the same thing.  the version numbers on both are 0.0.0.  i had my older copy installed and deactivated and have used it for several playthroughs without issue, but uninstalled it to install the newer version.  i don't understand and have never seen this before.  when i look into the esp it looks fine, all the files are named properly.  do you know what's causing this?  thanks in advance!

• Wild guess here, I cant remember if this mod uses Script extender but if it does did you also update that. Often a newer version of a mod will not work with an old SKE version.

thanks for the reply, but yes all my basic operating mods are kept up to date.  it's a pet peeve of mine, although i do fall behind by a rev or 2 on minor mods like houses and armor from time to time.

btw, i did manually install the mod and received the same result.  if i took the time to uninstall vortex and scrub any crumbs left behind from my system and reinstalled would probably work to use my older mod file, but that's a lot of work for one mod.  lakeview extended is worth the trouble as i love the mod, but i'm in the middle of a playthrough i'd rather not terminate just yet.  i do this about every year or so to flush out the clutter it leaves behind from replacing mods.  i really should learn mo2, but vortex and nmm before it are just too damn easy.  btw, i manually install all my mods b/c of past direct installing issues through nexus.

Krb, let me understand this.  You say that you manually install mods?  Am I right in understanding that you do not use Vortex to install them?  Or do you mean that you manually download them from Nexus, but you are installing them with Vortex?  

Lakeview Extended was removed from Nexus and uploaded here instead. At a guess, Vortex is trying to query Nexus for the metadata and finding the deleted entry for it and since Nexus does not send proper error codes for deleted mods, Vortex assumes "DELETED" is a valid title and tries to update it's information accordingly.

You should try to "Purge" the mod you have currently installed to break the link, remove it, then drop the new downloaded archive from here into your mods page. It should then act as a new mod (hopefully).

thanks all for the replies; it's nice to have a non-toxic and helpful community.  I tried the Purge yesterday. and yes, i manually dn and use vortex to install...mostly.  sometimes i manually install the files and folders, it just depends on what i'm installing.  like i said earlier, i really should just buckle down and learn mo2, but i'm spoiled with nmm and now vortex.  i tried mo2 a couple years ago and my brain snafu'd and i made a mess of things.  and arthmoor is correct, that make a lot of sense.  i didn't think about vortex calling home to check for validity.  anyway, i got the mod to work, but i don't understand how.  there's no esp in the data folder for either the delete mod or the lakeview mod.  i assume it's finding it in the vortex history folder.

Glad you got it working!  As to installing, you should really always use the manager (unless it is something that specifically says it has to be installed manually), as should you need to uninstall a manually installed mod, it can be a real pain at times to track down all the files.  (I remember all the fun I had doing that for DragonAge: Origins before there was a manager!)

38 minutes ago, smr1957 said:

you should really always use the manager (unless it is something that specifically says it has to be installed manually)

Myself, I have never installed a single mod using installer software.  Back when I started modding Bethesda's games there were no utilities available.  I got used to downloading and installing my mods manually and that is how I am comfortable doing it.  :)

2 hours ago, Pseron Wyrd said:

Myself, I have never installed a single mod using installer software.  Back when I started modding Bethesda's games there were no utilities available.  I got used to downloading and installing my mods manually and that is how I am comfortable doing it.  :)

That is fine, as you are experienced doing so - but the advice is more for those without the experience or the knowledge - newer players especially.  Many of us old time players remember those days before any type of manager was available - and what memories they are, indeed, LOL! Not to mention, the larger the build, the more difficult it becomes to keep track of everything - I shudder to think of even attempting to mod my current SSE build manually - no way I'm doing that, even if technically I could!  But their is no doubt that for those of us who did mod manually in the past, it gave us a greater appreciation and knowledge of how games are set up and how mods work.

Manual installation isn't that difficult if a mod is packaged correctly.  A simple "Extract Here" in the Data Folder, and the files go where they belong.  Keeping the "zip" file tells you what was installed and where, making uninstall fairly straight forward. 

For me, the challenge was and is the load order.  Editing plugins can be tricky if you type a poorly as I.  And without a tool like LOOT or XEdit to "automagically" detect conflicts it would be almost impossible for me to get a stable load order.