Vortex Help

Talyn82

I've been using Vortex since it was first released and never had a problem.  Today I have 2 problems.  One, in the Plugins section when I try to remove a rule I set.  Instead of the mod reverting to it's default spot in the Load Order.  It stays at the spot I designated in the rule that I just removed.  Two, how do I lower a mod in the Load Order?

If anyone has trouble understanding what I am asking help for then let me know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In Vortex, the rules are the load order, not the the order of the plugins in the list (like MO2 or Bash).

If you want a mod to be specifically "below" or "after" another mod, you make a rule. There's no dragging of plugins around as I understand it.

Just now, Hana said:

In Vortex, the rules are the load order, not the the order of the plugins in the list (like MO2 or Bash).

If you want a mod to be specifically "below" or "after" another mod, you make a rule. There's no dragging of plugins around as I understand it.

Yeah I know.  I set up a rule a day ago.  Then today I removed the rule.  Instead of the mods that the rule effected going back to their default location in the order.  They still are in the same spot as if the rule was still enabled.  Am I making any sense?  I'm not being a dick, but if I am not making sense please let me know.

It could have been entirely my fault if I've misunderstood, I was dead tired when I first responded :lol: I'm now working on my first cup of coffee so I'll take another stab at it. Have you tried hitting the Sort button on the plugins page?

If there was no direct conflict (requiring the rule), the mods should be fine wherever they sit. Of course, if there is still a conflict you'll still get a notification to resolve it. Is there a particular reason you want the mods to return to its previous position?

It might help if you went into more detail of what mods are involved,  what rule you set and why you removed it.

Thanks, but I figured it out.  I just created a new rule putting the mod towards the bottom of the list.  I know I know this is what you said but it was not working for me.  After several tries I got it working.  As for the reason I am using the mod 'Pandorable's NPC's', and the mod has to be moved towards the bottom of the Load Order for it to work properly.  Or else I get the black face bug which causes the game to crash.  Anyway thank you for your time and help! :)

On 10/2/2021 at 8:34 PM, Talyn82 said:

I've been using Vortex since it was first released and never had a problem.  Today I have 2 problems.  One, in the Plugins section when I try to remove a rule I set.  Instead of the mod reverting to it's default spot in the Load Order.  It stays at the spot I designated in the rule that I just removed.  Two, how do I lower a mod in the Load Order?

If anyone has trouble understanding what I am asking help for then let me know.

I have an easier solution, dear friend...

In the plugins tab when you double click on the plugin to which you want to make changes a little window will open to the right.  In that window is a dropdown menu that has different options for that plugin, the option that will help you here in this situation is "Late Loaders."  By assigning a given plugin to the late loaders group it will load as far down the plugin LO as possible.  If you mark multiple plugins as late loaders then LOOT should sort them for you.  Assigning a plugin to late loaders takes literally four clicks... one click to open the plugin tab, the double click to activate the selection window to the right and the four click to activate the late loader setting.  Well... five clicks if you count clicking back to your original location... Hahaha:lmao:

Apologies that I'm likely a day late and a dollar short here this time.  But, it's a good little window with which to become familiar.  

While you are in the plugins tab I highly suggest using the setting sort to select "could be light."  Those are potential light plugins that are installed as esp but can be made esp-fe or esl in the same way you assign late loaders.  Double click the plugin to open the window on the right and scroll down to make light or enable light... something relative to that status.  Once you check that box then Vortex treats that plugin as light.  Approximately one third of all the light plugin mods I've installed need to be activated in that fashion.  So, doing a "could be light" status sort after having installed a mod with a light plugin is a good idea.  I check it with every round of installs... just in case.  

Hope that helps...

Adventure on dear friend, Phat:blackhand:

PS:  Gopher's Vortex guide is geared toward the beginner.  So, it may come across as basic to you.  It was perfect for me.  Haha:lmao:

Anyway... this is the full playlist... Make sure to click the link to watch in youtube to see all of the list.

This is the specific video that pertains to the topic under discussion here in this forum...  Again... hope this helps...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phatbassanchor said:

I have an easier solution, dear friend...

In the plugins tab when you double click on the plugin to which you want to make changes a little window will open to the right.  In that window is a dropdown menu that has different options for that plugin, the option that will help you here in this situation is "Late Loaders."  By assigning a given plugin to the late loaders group it will load as far down the plugin LO as possible.  If you mark multiple plugins as late loaders then LOOT should sort them for you.  Assigning a plugin to late loaders takes literally four clicks... one click to open the plugin tab, the double click to activate the selection window to the right and the four click to activate the late loader setting.  Well... five clicks if you count clicking back to your original location... Hahaha:lmao:

Apologies that I'm likely a day late and a dollar short here this time.  But, it's a good little window with which to become familiar.  

While you are in the plugins tab I highly suggest using the setting sort to select "could be light."  Those are potential light plugins that are installed as esp but can be made esp-fe or esl in the same way you assign late loaders.  Double click the plugin to open the window on the right and scroll down to make light or enable light... something relative to that status.  Once you check that box then Vortex treats that plugin as light.  Approximately one third of all the light plugin mods I've installed need to be activated in that fashion.  So, doing a "could be light" status sort after having installed a mod with a light plugin is a good idea.  I check it with every round of installs... just in case.  

Hope that helps...

Adventure on dear friend, Phat:blackhand:

PS:  Gopher's Vortex guide is geared toward the beginner.  So, it may come across as basic to you.  It was perfect for me.  Haha:lmao:

Anyway... this is the full playlist... Make sure to click the link to watch in youtube to see all of the list.

This is the specific video that pertains to the topic under discussion here in this forum...  Again... hope this helps...

Wow!  This is great stuff.  I did not know about the Late Loader or being able to eslify a mod through Vortex.  I thought I knew everything but I was wrong.  Thanks for all the help. :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Talyn82 said:

Wow!  This is great stuff.  I did not know about the Late Loader or being able to eslify a mod through Vortex.  I thought I knew everything but I was wrong.  Thanks for all the help. :)

You still need to change esp to esl in Xedit or CK... wherever you'd normally make that change if the author did not allow that option.  That "Make Light" function only works on mod plugins that have been set up to be light as an option and require activation.  I've seen quite a few authors making separate file DL's for esp and esl or esp-fe.  Others have both settings enabled which defaults to the esp.  The last category are the ones that will show when sorting by "Could be light" in the plugin sort.  Vortex will enable an esl but not create the esl.  Hope that made sense.  I find it's a mixed bag with some being separate files that enable the esl with the install and others that need the esl enabled.  So, I check in plugins after each installation session just in case.  I've found several that had an esl option with no mention of it on the mod page.  So, it's always good to check... takes but a few seconds to click the sort link for "Could be light."

I found those tutorial videos from Gopher most helpful.  They are geared to the beginner.  So, they were perfect for me.  I watched the entire series twice and still go back for pointers on certain things as needed.  Gopher is expert at making complex processes seem simple by explaining each step and what it does.  I would still be struggling without them.  I'm surprised how many Vortex users have not seen those vids!  They are linked to the flipping Vortex dashboard!  Hahahahahaha:rofl:  I highly recommend them, even for more advanced users.  The devil is in the details and Gopher explains it all in an easy to understand format.  He really saved my bacon!:highfive:

Glad you found some useful info here.  Just wish I would've seen this posting sooner.  May have saved you some hassle.

Adventure ever on my brother, Phat:blackhand:

Nah, there was no hassle.  Thank you for the clarification though.  As for Gopher, I know about them, but due to my arrogance I thought I knew everything there was to know about Vortex.  Well I was wrong lol.

Anyway take care of yourself, Phat!

• Like 1

I have learned more in a few minutes than I ever learned at my earlier site :) I will still avoid Vortex since it is too time consuming to learn - they have used a bible of info to explain what is said here.

The video suffers from the same - jump to the info you need? Is that some kind of a new game? Spin or Win :)

Bitter? Yes I am! My privilege.

No offence to anyone.

• Like 2