Crash when taking photos

Arthmoor

You know, I have no idea why we've just been filling up the single update thread with random stuff like this, but I'll break that trend now :P

I'm having a consistent issue where any attempt to snap an in-game photo using photo mode will either crash the game or indefinitely hang it requiring it to be killed in task manager. The catch is that it only does this when any sort of wildlife is in the scene. Which means it also effectively blocks taking missions from an agent that asks you to take pictures on planets.

Is anyone else having a similar issue? I've filed a bug report about it because the inability to do this is breaking multiple things - not the least of which is the unexpected loss of progress due to the console oriented save game methods they employ.

Hmm, no, not personally, but I think I recall seeing someone on reddit mention a similar bug. Its probably way off the front page by now buried in memes and screenshots, and may not be tagged as a bug, I think it was a reply to someone elses topic.

Sounds like a new one though and probably new to the Frontiers update.

Only bug I have with the in-game screenshot function in the quick menu is they dont capture the Glyphs at the bottom anymore, so I started using PrtScr key to grab a full screen capture of the game (while it is in screenshot mode) so that the glyphs are also captured, alt tab out and paste the copy buffer into Paint.NET.

You can also use Win Key+Shift+S which gets the Snipping tool overlay .. But this is problematic if you want the Glyphs aswell, because pressing shift is one of the games screengrab controls to hide the screengrab controls menu and Glyphs.

Edit: Here's one I just took purely with the in game screenshot, glyphs are missing, but no crash with these exotic robot critters ..

de5mIsb.png

There is another issue with Frontiers and critters recently, shoot any kind of T-Rex like creatures and they die standing up, I call it the T(Rex)-Pose bug ( sorry :) )

Maybe your issue is another NMS with AMD issue, there have been quite a few occasions in the games development when AMD Graphics users have been waiting ages for fixes NVidia users didn't have the same problems.

Edit 2 : Just went to a few more planets to try quite a diverse range of different critters, along with trying different camera filters / fog / clouds / vignette etcetera, couldn't cause a crash.

Gui1Mee.png

I guess it wouldn't surprise me if it's an AMD issue, but I don't really know why since NMS is using the Vulkan libraries and that's AMD's baby.

That last screenshot of yours is similar to the ones I had the problem with. What's weird is it doesn't have any issues at all when taking a screenshot via the base computer function. There can be loads of wildlife in those and it doesn't even lag. It just takes the pic and uploads it with the base when you tell it to.